Ads pop up everywhere on my phone

Search This thread

x10user2011

Nov 28, 2010
Hey does anyone know why I have advertisements popping up on my phone all the time?

It's random and occurs in all apps and I checked for virus with a scanner and it doesn't say anything. Has anyone had this issue before and know a solution? Idk what I clicked that might have caused this bug. Ads usually are games that lead me to the play store and not anything explicit (if that helps)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
Hey does anyone know why I have advertisements popping up on my phone all the time?

It's random and occurs in all apps and I checked for virus with a scanner and it doesn't say anything. Has anyone had this issue before and know a solution? Idk what I clicked that might have caused this bug. Ads usually are games that lead me to the play store and not anything explicit (if that helps)

Start in safe mode see if they still show up

MrObvious

Mar 1, 2008
Wichita KS
If it is in games, if you're rooted try downloading an ad blocker. Since they blocked it from the Play Store you will need to Google it.

Ben36

Jun 8, 2012
You have something installed doing it. What did you last install before it happened?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
It's not that, it's ads popping up in places such as SMS or music and it's weird..

Still safe mode will disable all third party apps and any potential malware on your phone

think of it as a fail safe boot like how Windows has it

Heres how to get into it
https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en

how to get out of it? just shutdown your phone as you normally would and start it back

Reactions: BinkXDA

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
This is odd. Have you downloaded something from outside the play store? Do you have unknown sources enabled? If you didn't, then something is horribly wrong here. If you did download and install any APK, delete it.

If this is something from the Play Store itself, we have to report it.

To be completely safe, as others said, run the phone in safe mode. If they still pop up, flash the factory image...something went wrong. If they don't, it's an app.

varuntis1993

Apr 7, 2013
New Delhi
Still safe mode will disable all third party apps and any potential malware on your phone

think of it as a fail safe boot like how Windows has it

Heres how to get into it
https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en

how to get out of it? just shutdown your phone as you normally would and start it back

There is also another trick that I found some days ago.....restart the phone and then let the google logo go, when the boot animation starts keep pressing the volume down button untill u get to the lock screen....ur safe mode should be there ;)

mortenmhp

Jul 23, 2008
Hedensted

Please take a screenshot of such an ad to help us see what the problem might be. Also have a look at installed apps to see which one may be causing it.(preferably list all 3rd party apps you have installed, or simply a couple of screenshots)

Also as mentioned you should try safe mode(long press the "turn off" button in the power menu), to see if it still happens.(if not, it is one of your 3rd party apps.)

ConorCX

Jan 20, 2013
You could try and use a nifty app from the Play store called AirPush detector. It will look through your phone to look through which apps might be showing you unwanted advertisements.

Sent from my Nexus 5

mistahseller

Mar 13, 2013
Saint Louis
It was definitely an app that you installed, there are some apps in the playstore that if you install them will show ads. This is sketchy but I guess they want to make money somehow.... :rolleyes:

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
It was definitely an app that you installed, there are some apps in the playstore that if you install them will show ads. This is sketchy but I guess they want to make money somehow.... :rolleyes:

this is how many free games/apps stay free

Popup ads? I understand ads in the game, but I've never seen ads that pop up in system apps. That's not allowed per the google play TOS. I'll be sure to report them if you give me the names of them. I have apps on there too, and most of them don't have ads, but the ones that do are always unobtrusive.

Reactions: socalborn

mistahseller

Mar 13, 2013
Saint Louis
Popup ads? I understand ads in the game, but I've never seen ads that pop up in system apps. That's not allowed per the google play TOS. I'll be sure to report them if you give me the names of them. I have apps on there too, and most of them don't have ads, but the ones that do are always unobtrusive.

Oh I can't remember what app it was it was on my nexus 4, I installed something and everytime I would hit home it would popup like a sys warning message but it would be an ad.

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
...stop using questionable apps.

This. People keep complaining about Android having viruses when they're downloading all kinds of things like "free smileys" from random sites. 99.9% of the time, Google Play has clean apps, but there are still some apps that Google needs to filter out better. They need to completely ban air push and other notification ads or really anything that doesn't stay within the app.

EDIT: This wasn't meant to bash the OP. I'm talking about other people, and hopefully the OP didn't download this kind of stuff.

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com

yea. these apps open in the background. and since they are "open", their ads pop up. these arent the same kinds of ads that open in the app itself, theyll open in the status bar or just pop up. again, they are usually included in free apps/games that are usually of lower quality.

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California

Top Liked Posts