[REVIEWS] Screen Protectors

Search This thread

DaBountyHunter

Apr 22, 2009
London
I'm in contact with them right now about the lifting issues around the edges. I'll post when they resolve the issue

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk HD

Well after a few emails and close up photos of the issue I had with my protector (which is very very minor and only visible once there's ALOT of finger mark grease on the screen) they decided to replace my protector free of charge.

Very good customer service imo. With regards to the lifting issues you really need to do it in a 0% dust or close to no dust environment the edges on mine are very good not perfect but I don't think any protector is 100% perfect on the edges unless it's a wet application.

Attached pic is what my Clarivue XT Glass looks like on my phone.

Attachments

• _DSC8796.jpg
    _DSC8796.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 531

crzycrkr

Jun 26, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Well after a few emails and close up photos of the issue I had with my protector (which is very very minor and only visible once there's ALOT of finger mark grease on the screen) they decided to replace my protector free of charge.

Very good customer service imo. With regards to the lifting issues you really need to do it in a 0% dust or close to no dust environment the edges on mine are very good not perfect but I don't think any protector is 100% perfect on the edges unless it's a wet application.

Attached pic is what my Clarivue XT Glass looks like on my phone.

My install is perfect with no dust at all. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to screen protectors. I've got about an eighth of an inch around the border that isn't sticking down. I've never had any problems with dry application protectors sticking. I've received a response from them basically saying it is normal because of the "extreme curve if the screen" and offering to refund my money or send me plastic protectors. Personally not very happy with their response.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363735623807.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363735623807.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 412
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363735634798.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363735634798.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 382
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363735644031.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363735644031.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 383
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363735651776.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363735651776.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 373
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363735660986.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363735660986.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 360
Reactions: aznboix

DaBountyHunter

Apr 22, 2009
London
My install is perfect with no dust at all. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to screen protectors. I've got about an eighth of an inch around the border that isn't sticking down. I've never had any problems with dry application protectors sticking. I've received a response from them basically saying it is normal because of the "extreme curve if the screen" and offering to refund my money or send me plastic protectors. Personally not very happy with their response.

I reckon that's dust. Mine was like that when I first applied it. I couldn't see ANY dust but go to see this protector attracts micro dust from the air. It's a static magnet. After I took it off I applied that brown parcel tape covering the whole back, and took it off. I did this a few times then the final time I did it I reapplied the protector when in my bathroom after running the shower. That's when I finally got the edges I wanted.

I'd give it one more go as I described above otherwise better to just get a refund to be honest.

crzycrkr

Jun 26, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I reckon that's dust. Mine was like that when I first applied it. I couldn't see ANY dust but go to see this protector attracts micro dust from the air. It's a static magnet. After I took it off I applied that brown parcel tape covering the whole back, and took it off. I did this a few times then the final time I did it I reapplied the protector when in my bathroom after running the shower. That's when I finally got the edges I wanted.

I'd give it one more go as I described above otherwise better to just get a refund to be honest.

Definitely not dust in any way shape or form. I've done dozens if not over 100 screen protectors before, including glass. This is a perfect install. It's just not staying down on the edges all the way around. In their email they mention the "extreme curve of the screen." Sounds like a flat out excuse to me since the only curve is at the edge of the glass. I'm going to try to get a replacement and if not I'll send it back and get a refund and try a different brand.

rich250

Feb 10, 2011
One thing I seem to notice with screen protectors on this phone is that if you have to lift them for any reason during the install it's gonna lift around the edges eventually, went through two of the Lloyd protectors that lifted but both of those I had to lift during the install, the third one I installed using the idiot proof install and this one is not lifting at all and my seido case even touches right up against the edge of the protector.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: gbk1

DarkManX4lf

May 11, 2007
NYC
I have the Fosmon anti glare screen protector. It's not that great in sunlight but it's pretty good indoors. The matte finish doesn't bother me and I don't have smudges on my screen. It was like $3 shipped.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
iSmooth all the way!!! Was trying a new aluminum case a few days ago, the one with a separate frame-bumper and a sliding top cover frame, and that sliding part turned out to be very tight, to the point that if it wouldn't be for iSmooth - I would definitely end up scratching my glass. Their material is so tough (3H rated) - I only see a faint hairline scratch. Always gives me a piece of mind between my UAG case and iSmooth screen protector. Been using it for a long time, no edge lifting anywhere and feels smooth like a glass, Also, fingerprints wipe off easily.

fongher10

Jun 12, 2007
Review - ExtremeGuard screen protector

Got 3 of them last week when they had their sale going on. Got my first on today and was not impress by it at all.

Pros:
1. Easy to install
2. Instructions were good
3. Easy to remove bubbles

Cons:
1. Covers to entire edge
2. Grainy looking afterwards
3. Using S-Pen is not as easy because surface is not smooth
4. Peels off at edges even after an hour (this may be because I have a case that covers over the edges)
5. Outlined cuts are not straight. Around the camera area there's a curve :/ All 3 of them are like this.

I can live with everything else but not the rough feeling when using the S-Pen. I use the pen quite a bit at work for note taking and can't live without it. Will give the second one a shot and see if it's the same. But after this I'm diving into the dumpster to find my old protector, clean it off and hope I can use it :D

I give it a 3/5 stars.

twe90kid

Jan 20, 2008
5 stars for iSmooth HD Screen Protector

Took the initiative to order myself replacement screen protectors as the stupid JLG brand was giving up on 2 of my Note2s. They started to get dozens of micro scratches and another one started to bubble at random places. Not sure why that happened, but it just shows us the quality sucks big time. Not the first time I asked for replacement from JLG.

Anyways, iSmooth arrived today. Installed it in less than 5 minutes as I'm very familiar with the dry process. I completed this without a single dust nor did I waste any of the spare protectors. Love the texture of the screen and it's much easier to clear fingerprints. Super clear, no rainbow effect! Blow away the jlg which is in the trash right now!

:good:

Vandam500

Apr 7, 2010

Took the initiative to order myself replacement screen protectors as the stupid JLG brand was giving up on 2 of my Note2s. They started to get dozens of micro scratches and another one started to bubble at random places. Not sure why that happened, but it just shows us the quality sucks big time. Not the first time I asked for replacement from JLG.

Anyways, iSmooth arrived today. Installed it in less than 5 minutes as I'm very familiar with the dry process. I completed this without a single dust nor did I waste any of the spare protectors. Love the texture of the screen and it's much easier to clear fingerprints. Super clear, no rainbow effect! Blow away the jlg which is in the trash right now!

I also have the iSmooth and its awesome!!! :)

golfinggino

Nov 23, 2011
burlington, on
i have a x gear voyager 2 on my note and it is terrible - no matter what i do there is always a spot in the center that starts out small and keeps ketting bigger - it is now the size of a toonie ( those in canada will know that is a large spot ) and right in the center of the phone i have tried reinstalling like 10 times with no luck - will probably just take it off and throw it away and go back to the samsung flip case to protect the screen when the phone is in m pocket

jhobert

Aug 15, 2011
Los Angeles CA

It seems there a couple or so iSmooth screen protectors on sale, which one did u get? and any links where u bought urs.

Thanks

liamR

Feb 14, 2007
Did someone manage to compare between the iSmooth and the SGP Ultra Crystal/Oleophobic?

JiraffeLeung

Jun 22, 2011
Toronto
Zagg Invisible Shield HD

does this:

Does the SPen scratch the Zagg Invisible Shield non HD / HD?

There's also a good option here:

Protects the screen and back. Seems a good option since a case makes ur phone looks too big. (... lol ...)

rly work?

I bought the Zagg Invisible Shield HD and have been using it for approximately 3 weeks now.

YES it does in fact leave dents (or very fine marks if you press hard enough), and does not heal over time.

I would NOT recommend this screen protector to anyone (even if they didn't have a Note 2).

It was a cumbersome process during application (wet application), and it looked terrible after the application.
Some of the air bubbles and pockets eventually faded, but the rest of the imperfections (orange peel effect, glare, abrasions) were left on the screen. The biggest drawback that got me annoyed is how it's so vulnerable to denting and warping. There are literally 10-15 fine bumps along the screen protector and 1-3 large streaks that seemed to have appeared all of the sudden. This screen protector is extremely reflective, almost as much as glass itself. The warping (which makes it look like there is still liquid underneath, although it is completely dry) is the biggest counter argument you can have to their "HD" title.

I originally liked Zagg because of their "Extreme" screen protector that came out for iPhone, but since they didn't have it for the Note 2, I decided to try the HD version. It was a mistake.

For the price, I would really recommend going for Spigen Ultra, the iSmooth, or the Tempered Glass screen protectors.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Review] JLG Screen Protector

I LIKE

Feel:
    It really is smooth. Smooth as hell. Sometimes, feels even smoother than the glass did. This is really great. It seems very hard, the stylus doesn't leave any marks on it and did I mention it is smooth? Finger beautifully glides across the screen and there is no hang ups. Felt better than the Belkin I was also installing.

Clarity
    Since i still have haze, I don't want to completely comment on the final product, but i do have a few things to say:

• I have installed lots of wet installs and even have my own little squeegee. Never have i had this much water stuck under the protector.
    • There was something on the bottom. Not sure if it was clumped glue, or what, but it was there. It wasn't dust, and it would not come off the bottom of the protector. It currently rests in the middle of a haze field so I'm not sure if it will go away, but I will update if/when it does.
    • NO ORANGE PEEL. On the Belkin, I could immediately see "orange peel" and with this one, none whatsoever. This is great!
    As of right now, it looks like everything will be fine with the clarity, depending on the haze finally disappearing.

Fit
    It fits well. A tinge smaller than i want it to be (and covers less than the Belkin i was installing) but it covers the view-able area and about another 2 millimeters on each side. It is cut to make room for the front sensors and the bottom button. Like i said, it will work but for me, I could've used maybe a LITTLE bit more screen coverage.

NO LIKE

Adhesion
    The haze I can live with and understand, but the fact that it seems most of the edge has not stuck down completely is unsettling. It's really hard to show, but on most of the phone the edges aren't perfectly stuck, and in some areas it extends a millimeter or 2 into the protector.

It is SOOO hard to take a picture of this, but I am still trying.

The instructions say to keep pushing the edges for the next couple of days to make sure they stay down. I don't like this. at all.

I don't use a case, and feel like dust, dirt, loose hairs or whatever will get in there. On top of that, If I don't see the glue sticking immediately, I dont know how it will stick over the next couple of days.

Only time will tell... but that's how i feel right now.

On the topic of the edge:

The Edge
    For some reason... there is a little like, lip there. It's hard to describe, but running your finger from the middle to the edge of the phone, it feels as if the protector is thicker or lifted on the edges. This is ALL THE WAY around the protector. Makes me feel it has to do with the way it is cut.

This actually is the part I dislike the most. I want my finger to not be able to notice the difference between the glass and the protector. On the Belkin I installed, it was a subtle step down from the Protector to the glass. You know its there, but your finger doesn't catch on it at all and it doesn't drag on the edge. With this one?
    It absolutely does. You can feel the edge "biting" into your fingertip before dropping down to the glass. This not only makes you notice the protector more, but also makes me worry about the longevity of the protector, as if it can "snag" on my finger it can also snag on my pocket material and other things.

Now understand that I am talking about very minuscule amounts of biting and snagging, but they are there. I've never seen this on any SGP or the cheapo Belkin I was using.

EDIT: Seems I wasnt clear on my "lip" issue. I am posting from another reply I made:

On my previous [JLG] protector, the edge had a lip... maybe its better to describe it as a bead. It felt thicker than the rest of the protector... So instead of just having your finger slide off the protector to the glass, it actually got "caught" on this lip. It didnt feel very good, especially since it isnt cut very large you almost always feel it.

Other protectors do not have this lip or bead. Not one of them.

Final thoughts?
    It is decent. I need to sit and wait to see how much the haze clears and the edges stick. It is clear, smooth as ****, and was priced just fine.

Personally, if knowing what i know now, was to purchase a protector... It wouldn't be this one. Id prob go back with the Ultra Crystal i normally use, and might switch to that if there are problems with this one.

That being said, I am not going to rip this off my phone and I cannot test the additional shatter protection that the film supposedly adds to the glass.

Take this how you may and feel free to ask questions or thank me. whatever.

I have since completed testing and posted a final review. It is post #9, and linked here.

Images

Here you can see the packaging. Pretty plain and not something I care much about, but some people seem to like fancy packaging that comes with other protectors.

RIuxc.jpg

pAK4L.jpg

Package includes the little wet application spray (never had an issue with wet applications), a little cloth (more on that) and a little piece of cardboard and some instructions.

ZphTi.jpg

iGNS2.jpg

I wanted to get a closer look at these, hoping you can see what I see. On the plastic itself, you can see some inconsistent lifting off the backing. This really isnt a big deal, but it can mean an issue with inconsistent glue/cutting.

jhE99.jpg

cHrX3.jpg

rNyOy.jpg

Here is my GN2 clean and sitting on the bathroom counter waiting. You can see its pretty damn clean. I have installed MANY screen protectors and NEVER had an issue with dust under the protector.

hw5YH.jpg

So I installed the protector. No pics here because of multiple reason, but mostly because I only have 2 hands and the bathroom was REALLY steamy.

This is where I ran into a problem. The little sprayers that comes with the JLG is less than half the size of other wet install sprayers. After maybe 6 pumps, I had used it up completely. I used some to spray on my fingers, but I should have just washed them dry and then wet them with a bowl of water. I wanted to make sure that I had the same solution on my hands as the screen to minimize upsetting the glue, but no biggie. Be careful with the amount you spray and you should be fine. For me it was too little.

Ok, so now installed.
    Below, you can clearly see the haze, wavyness and other odd things that appear with a typical wet install (though more than i remember others, but i wont hold JLG responsible for my bad memory).

OILpM.jpg

TuVFo.jpg

YXSDk.jpg

QzWCN.jpg

I am hoping this goes away soon, as it should. It is almost completely impossible to see when the screen is on. Ill use the next post for my summary and how I feel about it.

I just got the iSmooth in the mail today after the nightmare known as JLG.

All I can say is Dayyyyyummmm!

It had everything I was looking for..
    -great price
    -swag included (excellent silk screen wipe)
    -3 protectors!
    -excellent cuts
    -great adhesion
    -ismooth is smooth... Both for fingers and Spen
    -crystal clear
    -easy install with directions with an offer for another free one with an Amazon review
    -lifetime warranty, even if you mess up the install yourself

The install was so easy, so perfect, I felt like I was cheating :D

Not 1 bubble, or mark, or dust, or rainbow steaks (that will "dissappear" in 3-5 days like some companies claim... But 1/2 the time do not)

Not sure else what to say. Just an overall excellent experience.

+1 to iSmooth
    nu9abu3a.jpg

5y6abeda.jpg
    In an effort to clean up the old, very large review thread I have decided to start a new one.
    Should this turn out to be a success, we can expand it to cover cases, etc....

Please be as descriptive and as creative as you can be, post pictures if you can.
    But a few points to note before you all go wild with your reviews.

Please keep all reviews,
    • Factual
    • Helpful
    • Constructive
    • Impartial
    This will be a post that compares 4 different types of screen protectors:

3M Vikuiti ADQC27
    Ebay Cheapo 10 for $3 ultra clear stuff
    Just like Glass
    IQ Shield LIQuidSkin

I have ordered and used:
    3x 3M Vikuiti, I must have 20 or so of the ebay ones, I had 4 Just like Glass, and 2 IQ shield LIQuidSkin.

My application procedure is as follows:

For the dry screen protectors:
    Wash hands, steam up bathroom, vacuum bath room, clean surface that the phone will be sitting on, wipe phone with microfiber cloth designed for glasses (can be obtained at any store that sells glasses), apply screen protector, push out air

For the wet:
    Wash hands, clean bathroom, clean surface, wipe phone with microfiber cloth, use or create solution as recommended by the manufacture, apply the screen protector, then use a squeegee to push out excess liquid.

Lets start with my personal favorite out of the four:

The 3M Vikuiti, this is hands down the best film screen protector I have used on the note 2, and I think the only other one I would replace it with is a tempered glass one. It's smooth, very smooth, very clear, no spen marks, easy to clean, seems to have an oleophobic layer, because out of the 4 it's the easiest one to clean, and after a while in my pocket, it's the only one that has not developed any fine scratches.

With my technique, I found it very easy to apply and get a bubble free finish, not all is perfect though, the screen protector's width is just slightly larger than the display it self, so you must take care in lining it up, but I found it very easy to remove and reapply. Also the packaging really just comes with the screen protector no cloth.

Overall I give this 4.5/5 it's the most durable, really bubble free (seriously I haven't used a screen protector that gets rid of bubbles so easy), optically clear, no marks, only hindered by the width.

2nd Place:

Ebay screen protectors:

They are cheap, they are easy to apply, however, compared to the 3M bubbles are harder to remove, and I find they do not clean nearly as well as the 3M, and oil gets stuck on sometimes, requiring some cleaning with a microfiber cloth. Durability is also only meh, they tend to get fine scratches quite easily, but it'll protect the screen, the ones I've gotten are very clear (I have tried 4 different ebay brands, all are basically the same), smoothness is worse than the glass, but as you use it, smoothness tends to go up, I guess due to the oils on your hand. No spen marks. Packaging is meh, tends to come with the screen protectors and a crap cloth.

Overall 2.75/5 an average screen protector, which is combined with a cheap price, literally for the price of one of the other screen protectors listed, you can get 10 or more depending on the seller.

3rd Place:

Just Like Glass:

I really wanted to like this one, I really did, I like wet screen protectors they tend to be easier to apply than dry to me. JLG is the most expensive out of the 4. Overall I think it has been over hyped by SSHGuru (Scott the owner of DBA cases, and creator of JLG). Lets start with some positives, it's thick, the thickest out of the screen protectors, which means it should also offer the most protection, it's also VERY smooth, but I don't think it's any more smooth than the 3M, this is IMO, and when the screen is on, it's very clear, just the same as every other screen protector here. However, the cons out weigh the pros, lets start with the application, the included "spray" solution bottle is very small, but it is enough, but I've used 4 of these things (yes I have applied and used 4 JLG screen protectors), and even if I get all the moisture out using a squeegie, even after a few weeks, there will be air bubbles, or some dust, or something that doesn't allow it to adhere fully to the screen, which causes bubbles, and in some cases, a "sparkling" effect near those bubbles when on a white screen. This is the only wet screen protector I have ever used that has frustrated me to no end in this regards, I have contacted Scott, and I have been blamed that my installation technique is to blame, and no blame can be given to his screen protector what so ever. Reading on the forums though, it seems I'm not the only one that has had this problem. Another issue is when the screen is off there is a rainbowy haze (which is normal) it also appears under certain lighting with the screen on, this is apparently the UV coating. That didn't bother me nearly as much as the bubbles though. It is the second most durable screen protector on this list, getting only a very few fine scratches after weeks in my pocket.

Overall: 1.5/5 I cannot recommend this one at all, it's over hyped, too expensive, plagued with adhesion and hazing problems. I hope the JLG dry and tempered glass are much better.

IQSkinz:

This one was promising, promising full screen coverage, easy install, clarity and smoothness, and a very attractive price (2nd most affordable, only behind the ebay ones). Lets say it delivers on everything it promised, it is the only screen protector that has full screen and I mean the entire glass front of the note 2 is covered (including the home button). IMO it was also the easiest one to install, I had no issues with bubbles, adhesion, dust, or really any installation issues. Optically it's clear, very clear, and yes it's smooth to the touch...so where does it go wrong...it's just not durable at all, it's a very soft material (similar to zagg, but without the grippyness) after putting it in my pocket for a day, there were marks in it, and even after waiting for the "self healing" properties they never went away, and you could feel them. Not durable at all, very useless IMO for a screen protector, also allowed for a very fine tiny scratch on my note 2's screen where one of the larger marks were, so didn't really protect either! only other issue was when it's off it had an orange peel effect.

Overall 1/5 again can't really recommend this one only due to it's lack of durability. Fix the durability and it would easily be on top.
    I just got the iSmooth in the mail today after the nightmare known as JLG.

All I can say is Dayyyyyummmm!

It had everything I was looking for..
    -great price
    -swag included (excellent silk screen wipe)
    -3 protectors!
    -excellent cuts
    -great adhesion
    -ismooth is smooth... Both for fingers and Spen
    -crystal clear
    -easy install with directions with an offer for another free one with an Amazon review
    -lifetime warranty, even if you mess up the install yourself

The install was so easy, so perfect, I felt like I was cheating :D

Not 1 bubble, or mark, or dust, or rainbow steaks (that will "dissappear" in 3-5 days like some companies claim... But 1/2 the time do not)

Not sure else what to say. Just an overall excellent experience.

+1 to iSmooth

+more for iSmooth. As much as I dig their original screen protector currently being shipped from Amazon:

ismooth-original_zps0d5f7b53.jpg

They are sampling a new ultra-clear anti-fingerprint one which should start shipping officially once the stock of "green" ones run out. I would like to point out the new "clear" one is:
    - thicker (on par with 3H thickness of Spigen and MobC) and super strong
    - ultra-clear, no color distortion, no tint
    - no rainbow effect (even under fluorescent lights)
    - no issues using s-pen even applying extra pressure
    - an improved cut, especially around home button
    - super smooth, feels like glass
    - covers visible part of the screen, while living enough edge margin for any case lip

I'm attaching a few edge shots of the new protector. Keep in mind its thickness relative to the phone. The edges are rounded and very smooth. After testing half a dozen of other cheaper and brand new screen protectors, this one is a keeper for me!