Verizon Location Agent

Search This thread

06stang

Jun 25, 2010
Albuquerque
Fixed the issue for me at least. I'm on my brand new replacement Rezound and went through the ota right out of the box.

I have Verizon location off under settings before ota and after ota and now the location agent is gone. Not running, no battery used, not keeping the phone awake.. My last Rez with the ota had it running constantly and using 5-10% battery by the end of the day.

thatsricci

Nov 28, 2011
I too just got a replacement rezound ( Speaker stopped working on the old one) new one is excellent, red keys, no dead pixels..etc.

ran the OTA right away, I don't see the 'verizon location agent' on the 'whats using the battery screen'

but I do still see it in the running service screen... there's also an HTC location action as well.

I'm probably gonna just unlock/root and take care of this business.

-j

feralicious

Jun 9, 2011
City of Angels
settings/applications/manage applications/all/verizon location agent
When you go on the market key in verizon location agent. It is there because I downloaded the update.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1
Well I can't find it on my phone. I got the OTA and then restored my Ineffabilis nand.

I did find HTC Report Agent and was wondering what that is... ?

txkorm

Nov 24, 2007
San Antonio
Found it. What is SCGService?

KORM via the beast known as the Rezound.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1328145297997.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1328145297997.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 194
Reactions: 1heffer

demmo86rt

Sep 26, 2010
Brentwood, CA
Maybe this is Verizon's version of CarrierIQ? Wouldn't put it past them... "no, we don't use CarrierIQ, and you can't prove that we do"

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

zonbal33

Sep 30, 2009
so this apk is save to delete using rootexplorer?

if it doesnt affect anything else i dont want to freeze it.

1heffer

Mar 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
I guess the fifth bar of reception costs about 5% battery.
I'm sending you into a deep freeze! uploadfromtaptalk1328159849690.jpg

Thanks for the heads up everyone.

CleanROM_GBE_1.6

Last edited:

JaySinCT

Feb 28, 2012
"I renamed vzw_LocAgent_Preload.apk to *.ap_ and restarted my phone. I don't show the process running any more."

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA App[/QUOTE]

Is there anyway to rename the file without rooting? Can a Verizon Tech (or would the even) rename it in store?

I've got the old version (0.0.0.62) of VLA, and reading the thread, there doesn't seem to be a consistent answer as to whether or not doing the update from the Marketplace just to get to the "incompatible" message really does the trick.

Right now, I see it running in "All running" under applications, but it has only shown up once under the battery usage graphic (and when it was there, it was insane.. 12% battery and 24+ minutes of CPU). I've not seen it show up again though.

My phone seems to go to sleep O.K., but when I check my "up time" and "awake time" there is only about 5 hours difference in the last 48 hours, and I know it has been asleep for more than that (unless I'm not using the term asleep correctly). From the documentation, it sounds like it is when the display times out or when you press the top button once quickly...

So in a quandary as to whether I've really got the issue or not?? Have reported to Verizon, have a case number and has been escalated. They confirmed that it did come with the OTA, but aren't sure (or aren't saying) why.

The rep I worked with on the phone said to factory reset, and just not accept the OTA, but my understanding was with the HTC OTA, there was a timer window to respond in and if you didn't it applied the update anyway..

Not ready to fully root yet as I'd like to see the official ICS first but would sure like to get this VLA thing off the phone..

Last question... I just did a Software Update under Settings, hit Check New and nothing happened.. I expected at least a message back saying I was current (or not).... Thoughts?

Thanks..
Jay S.

murhaava1

Jan 19, 2012
Last question... I just did a Software Update under Settings, hit Check New and nothing happened.. I expected at least a message back saying I was current (or not).... Thoughts?

Thanks..
Jay S.

I had then same problem before that the check new would neither report that an update was available or that I was up to date. It would check for 2-5 seconds and then the window would just disappear. What I had to do was get a refurb from verizon support. I activated my SIM on the refurb and then factory reset my old phone and activated on the old phone. Once that happened I was able to get the OTA and now when I run check new it says that there is no software update available. It might be easier for you to go into a store and try that with a demo phone if theyll let you otherwise you could call in for a refurb and then just send the refurb back which is what I had to do. Something about activating on a different phone worked cause I had tried multiple factory resets prior to trying it on the refurb.

JaySinCT

Feb 28, 2012
"I renamed vzw_LocAgent_Preload.apk to *.ap_ and restarted my phone. I don't show the process running any more."

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA App

Is there anyway to rename the file without rooting? Can a Verizon Tech (or would the even) rename it in store?

I've got the old version (0.0.0.62) of VLA, and reading the thread, there doesn't seem to be a consistent answer as to whether or not doing the update from the Marketplace just to get to the "incompatible" message really does the trick.

Right now, I see it running in "All running" under applications, but it has only shown up once under the battery usage graphic (and when it was there, it was insane.. 12% battery and 24+ minutes of CPU). I've not seen it show up again though.

*** UPDATE *** just did a quick drive across state lines and noted that the VLA application has come back. Seemed to stop again once though as I crossed back into my home state??

My phone seems to go to sleep O.K., but when I check my "up time" and "awake time" there is only about 5 hours difference in the last 48 hours, and I know it has been asleep for more than that (unless I'm not using the term asleep correctly). From the documentation, it sounds like it is when the display times out or when you press the top button once quickly...

So in a quandary as to whether I've really got the issue or not?? Have reported to Verizon, have a case number and has been escalated. They confirmed that it did come with the OTA, but aren't sure (or aren't saying) why.

The rep I worked with on the phone said to factory reset, and just not accept the OTA, but my understanding was with the HTC OTA, there was a timer window to respond in and if you didn't it applied the update anyway..

Not ready to fully root yet as I'd like to see the official ICS first but would sure like to get this VLA thing off the phone..

Thanks..
Jay S.[/QUOTE]

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

No. You would need to be rooted to do this, and the store people would not be able to either.

Any chance or way to get at the system folder when the phone is USB attached to the computer, e.g. Show hidden folders under Windows or through some Windows app?

Also, just realized I was doing a lot of out of state traveling and never saw the VLA app show in the battery usage area, but I was using the HTC extended battery.. Why or how could that make any difference???

THanks
Jay S.

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
Any chance or way to get at the system folder when the phone is USB attached to the computer, e.g. Show hidden folders under Windows or through some Windows app?

No. When you are connected to the computer only the /sdcard and /sdcard2 "folders" are presented as drives. None of the other filesystems including /system are included. /system is a r/o filesystem. The only way to make it r/w is to have root. The only way to access it, would be via adb or using something like Root Explorer with a rooted device.

JaySinCT

Feb 28, 2012
No. When you are connected to the computer only the /sdcard and /sdcard2 "folders" are presented as drives. None of the other filesystems including /system are included. /system is a r/o filesystem. The only way to make it r/w is to have root. The only way to access it, would be via adb or using something like Root Explorer with a rooted device.

Thanks.. I actually just got a call from Verizon Tech that has been working on it with me. Seems like it's finally really caught the attention of Verizon and HTC. Seems like (they're saying) that VLA is attached to VZ Navigator, which in my opinion doesn't relate to VLA coming on by itself especially when I didn't sign up for Navigator, but maybe that's part of the bug issue. Anyway, they told the tech CSR I'm working with that they're actively trying to separate the two functions and fix via an update. Of course no time frames, but they are asking her to have me check version numbers, etc. of things on my phone so sounds at least somewhat promising. :)

Jay S.

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
I froze navigator as soon as I got Titanium loaded on the device along with a number of other apps. Haven't bothered to remove them yet though.

As for the location agent, I have not seen this as an issue at all however. I see it running, but it is not really using time and my phone sleeps okay.

Starting to get a realistic view of battery life now that I am tinkering with it less and getting back to normal use. So far, battery life on the Rezound has been much better than I thought it would be. I've still had the device less than a week though.

JaySinCT

Feb 28, 2012
I froze navigator as soon as I got Titanium loaded on the device along with a number of other apps. Haven't bothered to remove them yet though.

As for the location agent, I have not seen this as an issue at all however. I see it running, but it is not really using time and my phone sleeps okay.

Starting to get a realistic view of battery life now that I am tinkering with it less and getting back to normal use. So far, battery life on the Rezound has been much better than I thought it would be. I've still had the device less than a week though.

Maybe the fact that you froze Navigator shielded you from the VLA issues (if in fact they are connected). Have you traveled to locations where the cell towers would have to have changed and the phone needed to relocate towers? Just curious cause as I said, I saw VLA kick in when I went up to Massachusetts for a 15 minute jaunt to get gas (.35 cheaper than Connecticut). Once I got back into Connecticut VLA usage seemed to stop.. Very confusing..

Jay S.

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
While I have not gone very many place yet with the phone, I have gone between work and home which is about 15 miles away. So, yes, I would have transverse a number of cell towers in the process. I have not been on the phone during those trips yet.

Funny your mention of driving to the next state to get gas... we have a little different space perspective here in AZ. Where I live, the county I'm in, Maricopa has the land area of seven states. The City of Mesa is most likely larger than some of your counties, perhaps in some cases a number of them combined.

evilstewie23

Jul 6, 2011
While I have not gone very many place yet with the phone, I have gone between work and home which is about 15 miles away. So, yes, I would have transverse a number of cell towers in the process. I have not been on the phone during those trips yet.

Funny your mention of driving to the next state to get gas... we have a little different space perspective here in AZ. Where I live, the county I'm in, Maricopa has the land area of seven states. The City of Mesa is most likely larger than some of your counties, perhaps in some cases a number of them combined.

You live in mesa to huh?

sent from my sexy Htc Rezound

JaySinCT

Feb 28, 2012

Certainly New England's a lot more condensed that Arizona (where there is a primary going on as I write) :) but in my case, just because of where we live, the jaunt over the border to Massachusetts is so close and the 30 cents a gallon difference sure makes it worthwhile, especially when it's a car that takes premium unleaded! :) It would be interesting to see if you venture a little further from home if the VLA issues pops up in the battery usage.

Jay S.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Help on the way!

Just received this from Verizon/HTC tech support with regard to the VLA battery drain issue..

"A fix for the issue is under review and will be included in the next Software Update (SU2) for this device. The tentative release date is late March."

and before you ask, there was no indication as to whether or not SU2 contains ICS. :)

Jay S.
    more bull**** bloatware from the assholes at Verizon that was sneakily installed with our ota. lovely. i've seen some reports on phandroid.com forums of it keeping people's phones awake and using a good % of their battery. go to the market, you can update it, but but can't uninstall it. good job, verizon.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA App
    mine doesn't show as battery use either, but i'm only getting like 8-9 hours out of my battery now, when i usually get 15-16. i haven't done anything different and now after the update, my battery life is ****.

I usually get about 13-14 hours with moderate use and I actually have had better these last two days after the update so I'm not really worried it just is annoying that Verizon adds these stupid apps in the first place especially vcast apps. I can't wait for ics or s-off so I can root and get rid of this ****. I'm especially excited about Joel getting a rezound now also. I think you remember him over on the dinc?

sent from my sexy Htc Rezound
    My Husband's Rezound isn't rooted and bone stock as well. I updated the VZW Location app and opened it from the market. I got the message about it being incompatible and It's no longer running and my Husband's battery life is fine.
    So the update method DOES work for some.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk

Update the VZN Location app? where you find this? I have a Verizon navigator in my app drawer. Also did a search in the market place and the verizon app market...didnt find any VRZ Location app. Help?
    I see it there now what? I click on it and it gives me "clear data / and force stop", but no update anywhere. again help?

No, to update he means in the android market. Just type in Verizon location agent in the market search and it should show up. Then click on it and it should give you the option to update it. Click update and it is supposed to say not compatible and freeze the app.