[DEV][BOUNTY][Hugs And Kisses] Enabling 1700Mhz on the Note (for T-mo USA)

Search This thread

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
what other samsung phones are using the 77604? i suspect the Meizu Mx has a 77604, but it's not out yet. so it's hard to confirm.
The MX uses the same Exynos chip and it will officially support pentaband. The price is good too, but I won't get it due to no SD slot. Its supposed to have good sound quality typical of Meizu.

crazy talk

Jun 17, 2009
The MX uses the same Exynos chip and it will officially support pentaband. The price is good too, but I won't get it due to no SD slot. Its supposed to have good sound quality typical of Meizu.

yeah. with any luck we'll be able to rip the Modem out of the Meizu and stick it in the note with a few changes and get 3G working.

FAILHARD

Aug 28, 2010
yeah. with any luck we'll be able to rip the Modem out of the Meizu and stick it in the note with a few changes and get 3G working.
Not that simple as I pointed out earlier. SOmeone has tried this with another phone that possibly had SKY77604 and it didn't work. The modem.bin has to be rewritten.

crazy talk

Jun 17, 2009
Not that simple as I pointed out earlier. SOmeone has tried this with another phone that possibly had SKY77604 and it didn't work. The modem.bin has to be rewritten.

what phone? the SKY77604 is a brand new chip, as far as i know it hasn't been used in any other device.

if your thinking of the Samsung T-989 (T-mobile Galaxy S II) i strongly doubt it's using the 77604. and even if it was the differences between an Exynos based chipset and a Snapdragon based chipset would be enough to stop an unmodified Modem from working.

PoisonWolf

Feb 8, 2009
Lawl, even with $840, looks like no developer is interested in this. :D I am pretty likely to buy the Note in the next week or so but =(

prech

Feb 10, 2011
I'd be glad to pledge $20 to get us on the T-mobile train

Merry Christmas, all!

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
So I guess this dream is dead. Therefor, I went ahead and bought a Galaxy S 4G from ebay with my job's bonus, to use the 4G for now. I guess it's up for T-Mobile will do something, I'll retire this phone to the closet for now.

Last edited:

Yuhfhrh

Apr 27, 2011
It is so sad! :( Nearly $1000 wasn't enough of an incentive, so I'm assuming it must be pretty dang difficult to do lol

Jade Eyed Wolf

Nov 4, 2010
Arlington Virginia
I don't know if anyone else has considered another very important factor: Internal antennae.

Think about it. Even if you could enable the chip's 1700mhz capabilities via a modified modem.bin, the Note doesn't likely have antennae designed or tuned for that band, so either you won't get any signal at all, or if you do, it would likely be very poor anyway.

Sucks, I know...

However, there may be some light at the end of the tunnel. Now this is purely speculation, but considering the roaming agreements that AT&T and T-Mobile now have as a side effect of their failed merger, it's possible that future devices from both carriers will be made to be compatible on both networks. So here's to hoping that the AT&T Note will have baked-in support for AWS1700!

Last edited:

guitarplayerone

Jan 7, 2012
NYC
I don't know if anyone else has considered another very important factor: Internal antennae.

Think about it. Even if you could enable the chip's 1700mhz capabilities via a modified modem.bin, the Note doesn't likely have antennae designed or tuned for that band, so either you won't get any signal at all, or if you do, it would likely be very poor anyway.

Sucks, I know...

However, there may be some light at the end of the tunnel. Now this is purely speculation, but considering the roaming agreements that AT&T and T-Mobile now have as a side effect of their failed merger, it's possible that future devices from both carriers will be made to be compatible on both networks. So here's to hoping that the AT&T Note will have baked-in support for AWS1700!

It has been proven that the GN7000 is hardware-compatible. I registered on this site just to post this. The GN7000 has the proper radio, as well as a menu for selecting the proper frequencies.
The issue is that the modem.bin needs to be rewritten, not the hardware.
The first post here has links with a teardown revealing that the proper radio for pentaband is there.
I understand why there might have been some confusion, as the menu for activating the frequency had been found some time ago, but there was no direct proof of the radio supporting the correct frequencies.

However, second of all, has anyone thought about the upcoming ATT GNote supporting their 'LTE frequencies'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that means that it WILL have 1700/2100 MHz radios for the LTE use.

It will also have the same processor (and likely radio) as the T-mobile GSII.

Could someone confirm that if the radio supports these bands that we're in business?

There might be at least some purpose of getting an ATT Gnote after all...

Last edited:
Reactions: eksasol

Maroon Mushroom

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, Oregon
As an AT&T user, I'm really rooting for you guys. It's easily the best phone out right now and I would love for you guys to be able to experience it to it's full potential

Edit: Even though I'm not on T-Mobile, put me down for $5 ;)

Last edited:

Yuhfhrh

Apr 27, 2011
However, second of all, has anyone thought about the upcoming ATT GNote supporting their 'LTE frequencies'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that means that it WILL have 1700/2100 MHz radios for the LTE use.

Could someone confirm that if the radio supports these bands that we're in business?

I dream about this myself, but sadly I think we are a bit too early for att to release any aws hspa+ phones yet... I didn't know that a radio supporting aws lte automatically supports aws hspa?

Sent from my Nexus One using xda premium

jimpatrio@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
Currently living in Rio but will be returning to US permanently in the near future. Always use T-Mobile when in the States. Will be returning for a month long visit and to pick up my Note in 10 days. I pledge $100 for working solution.

Jade Eyed Wolf

Nov 4, 2010
Arlington Virginia
It has been proven that the GN7000 is hardware-compatible. I registered on this site just to post this. The GN7000 has the proper radio, as well as a menu for selecting the proper frequencies.
The issue is that the modem.bin needs to be rewritten, not the hardware.
The first post here has links with a teardown revealing that the proper radio for pentaband is there.
I understand why there might have been some confusion, as the menu for activating the frequency had been found some time ago, but there was no direct proof of the radio supporting the correct frequencies.

I'm pretty sure AT&T's LTE is on the 700MHZ band, not 1700AWS (it would have been if they succeeded in acquiring T-Mo).

As for the hardware support, there are two parts to the hardware: Chipset, and antennae. I don't doubt that the chipset may in fact support the 1700MHZ band, and maybe it can be enabled by using a custom modem.bin. All I'm saying is that, even if you manage to do that, there may not even be a 1700MHZ tuned antenna inside the Note anyway.

It'd be like finding out that your cable box has an unlockable feature to pick up satellite broadcast, but then you're hooked up to a regular VHF/UHF antenna instead of a satellite dish. Not gonna work.

Yuhfhrh

Apr 27, 2011
I'm pretty sure AT&T's LTE is on the 700MHZ band, not 1700AWS (it would have been if they succeeded in acquiring T-Mo).

As for the hardware support, there are two parts to the hardware: Chipset, and antennae. I don't doubt that the chipset may in fact support the 1700MHZ band, and maybe it can be enabled by using a custom modem.bin. All I'm saying is that, even if you manage to do that, there may not even be a 1700MHZ tuned antenna inside the Note anyway.

It'd be like finding out that your cable box has an unlockable feature to pick up satellite broadcast, but then you're hooked up to a regular VHF/UHF antenna instead of a satellite dish. Not gonna work.

I did some Googling and understand this concept now... What are the chances thought that the antenna does support it though? Is it not worth trying?

Jade Eyed Wolf

Nov 4, 2010
Arlington Virginia
I did some Googling and understand this concept now... What are the chances thought that the antenna does support it though? Is it not worth trying?

I would say it's probably not worth trying honestly. Like I said before, even if you could enable the 1700AWS functionality on the chipset via a modified modem.bin, the chances of being able to get a decent signal are pretty slim, unless the antenna inside has already been tuned for that frequency (which I doubt). But hey, you can still hope to try! Worst case scenario is you enable the 1700mhz band, but you get no signal at all (or very poor signal). Or you could get lucky and find that the Note does in fact have the proper antenna after all, and everyone rejoices!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Word From the Moderator: No one wants a TMO Note more than me, But Bounty Threads such as these seldom reap the desired benefits they strive to reach. We at XDA encourage development, but remember, we are a free form organization and as such, trying to insert a bounty offer in a free form system is problematic at best........ so a word of caution.......

here's what we know, the power amplifier (the part controlling what frequencies the phone runs on) supports T-mobile USA's 1700Mhz bands. which would allow us to enable 3G. we also know the phone lists 1700Mhz in the service menu (*#2263#) but doesn't appear to enable anything or causes other problems on the device.

more than likely the issue lies in the Modem.bin within the device. after that I'm in the dark. consider me more of a cheerleader than a developer.

the initial thread can be found here. Clicky

Contributions.
    1.) Crazy talk -$50
    2.) Hammerfest -$20
    3.) daddymatt -$50
    4.) lawalty -$20
    5.) Jason370 -$100
    6.) yentlequible -$20
    7.) the.mister.d -$25
    8.) cu_ninja -$30
    9.) ItsMathematics -$50
    10.) mike2518 -$40
    11.) biswasd -$100
    12.) n25philly -$20
    13.) Seeking -$40
    14.) Rockky -$100
    15.) yayaja67 -$25
    16.) refatb -$50
    17.) cadavar -$100
    18.) getmouse - $50
    19.) MOTH477 - $20

CURRENT TOTAL: $910

(Note, as of 9/3/12 i can't imagine many of these promised donations will come through)

I'll do my best to keep up with any contributions and add them to the list. if you believe I've skipped you feel free to PM me.

ANYONE in the united states that wants a Galaxy Note should be willing to put up a contribution, AT&T is causing more problems than they are worth for those of you using the Note with their service. I have yet to hear about T-mobile stone walling imported phones on their network.

I Personally don't intend to donate to any developers until we have a working product. but I'm not in control of how others intend to handle their pledged contributions.
    Slogging through code still. A delay was had when my g-nex was tagged by ATT for full data plan and I had to swap to the note for my main, but I am still working on it.
    Ill have some downtime tomorrow, ill see about getting adb setup so I can debug some more

Swyped from a white note.
    oooh comon please work

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    I'm stubborn. The telephony stack is tricky, but I'm downloading a note rom to compare all rild files. The telephony stack is comprised of the baseband, all rild files and the telephony application. Hopefully swapping or Modding the first 2 will work, if not, I'll have to dig into the 3rd. Urg.
    Ok, got the files and will be starting hex diffs this evening. Thanks for your patience and support guys.

Sent from my O3D/Thrillz thing. Maybe....