[SPRINT] GNEX Defective Radio Epidemic POLL

Did you have 3g issues with your Sprint Gnex?

• Total voters
Search This thread

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
Sure its not the network that is defective?

teach a man to fish, you feed him for life. teach a man to fastboot, and you create competency. and less threads on xda.

fyresoul

Apr 8, 2010
Austin
You must not know how to read. and failed to see my OP
where I demonstrated clearly that it was not the network.

RTFOP next time and save us your blithe sarcastic know it all BS.
I have a Nexus with working data, I nandroided it, put that nandroid on my previous non-data working Nexus.

And guess what 3G data still didn't work. So, I'm returning the non-working Nexus tomorrow.

I'd experiment more for you guys, but I for one am tired of calling up Sprint to swap my phones back and forth.

The take away from this is, unless Samsung's "upcoming software update/patch" is introducing new things, there's no reason what I did shouldn't have worked.

dreamsforgotten

May 4, 2010
Louisiana
I have a Nexus with working data, I nandroided it, put that nandroid on my previous non-data working Nexus.

And guess what 3G data still didn't work. So, I'm returning the non-working Nexus tomorrow.

I'd experiment more for you guys, but I for one am tired of calling up Sprint to swap my phones back and forth.

The take away from this is, unless Samsung's "upcoming software update/patch" is introducing new things, there's no reason what I did shouldn't have worked.

I've done everything possible 3g is bust. Calling sprint to change phones is insane. Goto your online account where it shows your device, choose the menu on the right. Click activate new phone, pop in your numbers, and your phone is swapped. Fwiw.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jalexishg

Sep 6, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I just spend almost 22 hours trying to get my phone replace and after spending crazy hours on the phone and declining stupid upgrades here is what they offer me :

They going to send me a "Brand new one" sealed to my house with overnight shipping, $50 dollars credit on my account, I can buy ANY device at 2yr contract price (I still have my upgrade) and if the Nexus they send me still not working properly they will just let me pick any other device in the store free or charge (they will take the nexus back). I can't complaint, I use the typical "I've been a loyal customer for 7 years".

I got all these but took me countless hour on the phone with customer service, walking /driving from store to store, wasting hours of my job, waking up late to work due the bad hardware plus this is not my first replacement. I love Sprint customer service they just wasn't ready for this. I blame Samsung and Sprint for not waiting a little longer to test this device more. I know when Sprint come out with LTE we going back up but as for now Sprint is in a hole and need us (The Now Network customers) to be a little more "understanding". Out of all this crazy weekend I met some cool people, nice hook ups (cool discounts and maybe some free stuff), and more. Overall can't complaint since I didn't have to argue or get mad in other to get this done. The reason why it took so long is because they keep pointing at each other not knowing what to do since the phone just came out less than a week ago and too many people coming back asking for replacements.

Those are just my 2 cents.

cmucooper

Aug 29, 2007
Well my nexus got a new prl this morning and data still isn't working. It went from 25002 to 25003 wonder if this was sprints "fix" for early in the week?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
You must not know how to read. and failed to see my OP
where I demonstrated clearly that it was not the network.

RTFOP next time and save us your blithe sarcastic know it all BS.

umad

He was joking. Lighten up, you don't want you have a massive coronary before you leave puberty.

Naezor

Aug 10, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
All of this is very common and to be expected. The first batch of phones that are launched ALWAYS have issues. That's a price you have to pay for wanting it NOW.

Lets go back in time with Samsung Android phones:

The E4GT: had horrible signal issues when it was first released, as well as GPS issues. They fixed the issue by the second month the phone was out with a software update.

The Nexus S: once again, horrible signal issues to the point of offering customers exchanges to a completely different device of their choice. Fixed about 6 months after the release, but not before the phone's reputation was ruined and price slashed.

The Epic 4G had terrible 4G connectivity issues and weak signal as well - once again, fixed by the second month. Charging issues in first few months of release before Samsung fixed the issue.

The Samsung Moment: Signal issues from the first few months of release, GPS Signal issues until they were discontinued - terrible charging port issues with all.

It's not just Samsung. Every flagship phone that is launched has bugs. The release is always rushed based on consumer demand without enough time to test them on a large scale. It's just the way it is.

**BTW, first person to get a G Nex at Sprint in Las Vegas, mine is perfect. They also gave me my MSL when I asked for it. Just be nice!**

Last edited:

jgalan14

Jul 8, 2010
Las Vegas
All of this is very common and to be expected. The first batch of phones that are launched ALWAYS have issues. That's a price you have to pay for wanting it NOW.

Lets go back in time with Samsung Android phones:

The E4GT: had horrible signal issues when it was first released, as well as GPS issues. They fixed the issue by the second month the phone was out with a software update.

The Nexus S: once again, horrible signal issues to the point of offering customers exchanges to a completely different device of their choice. Fixed about 6 months after the release, but not before the phone's reputation was ruined and price slashed.

The Epic 4G had terrible 4G connectivity issues and weak signal as well - once again, fixed by the second month. Charging issues in first few months of release before Samsung fixed the issue.

The Samsung Moment: Signal issues from the first few months of release, GPS Signal issues until they were discontinued - terrible charging port issues with all.

It's not just Samsung. Every flagship phone that is launched has bugs. The release is always rushed based on consumer demand without enough time to test them on a large scale. It's just the way it is.

**BTW, first person to get a G Nex at Sprint in Las Vegas, mine is perfect. They also gave me my MSL when I asked for it. Just be nice!**

Vegas here too and I got my MSL as well lol... can't wait till we get LTE

scoobdude

Jan 8, 2008
On phone 3 now. 1st one had no data. 2nd one had purple tint at low light setting. 3rd seems to be good enough not to complain. Thank you sprint.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

Naezor

Aug 10, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/01/...ed/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Here we go. From Engadget:
"Over the next couple of days a software update (FD02) will be rolling out to the ICS flagships that should solve a rather bothersome bug that kept the devices from connecting to Sprint's data network after activation... at all. Obviously, you'll need to connect to a WiFi network to download the update if you're one of the afflicted, but you get a nice Google Wallet update for your troubles."

Now everyone can quit whining about the network and get back to whining about their screens. :)

J

jsteelm

I just spend almost 22 hours trying to get my phone replace and after spending crazy hours on the phone and declining stupid upgrades here is what they offer me :

They going to send me a "Brand new one" sealed to my house with overnight shipping, $50 dollars credit on my account, I can buy ANY device at 2yr contract price (I still have my upgrade) and if the Nexus they send me still not working properly they will just let me pick any other device in the store free or charge (they will take the nexus back). I can't complaint, I use the typical "I've been a loyal customer for 7 years".

I got all these but took me countless hour on the phone with customer service, walking /driving from store to store, wasting hours of my job, waking up late to work due the bad hardware plus this is not my first replacement. I love Sprint customer service they just wasn't ready for this. I blame Samsung and Sprint for not waiting a little longer to test this device more. I know when Sprint come out with LTE we going back up but as for now Sprint is in a hole and need us (The Now Network customers) to be a little more "understanding". Out of all this crazy weekend I met some cool people, nice hook ups (cool discounts and maybe some free stuff), and more. Overall can't complaint since I didn't have to argue or get mad in other to get this done. The reason why it took so long is because they keep pointing at each other not knowing what to do since the phone just came out less than a week ago and too many people coming back asking for replacements.

Those are just my 2 cents.

All it took for me to return was explaining how the store said "tough luck" cursing at the initial guy, then asking to speak with his manager after he was going to let me cancel Sprint due to poor service. My replacement is working fine. Although I must say the old device worked ok SOME of the time with the leaked radio. More so than with the FC radio. Pretty sure 3 bars and 4kbps on a speed test repeatedly wasn't a firmware issue, though.

dreamsforgotten

May 4, 2010
Louisiana
Verified, update does fix the 3g if you have none at all! It is not a hardware issue is the radio image. after the update be sure to wipe cache it takes that to make the data work for some reason.

jgalan14

Jul 8, 2010
Las Vegas
Verified, update does fix the 3g if you have none at all! It is not a hardware issue is the radio image. after the update be sure to wipe cache it takes that to make the data work for some reason.

I wonder why some phones did work on without the update

G

GuestD0701

My toroplus disconnects from wifi while I'm at work all the time. I also own a maguro. My maguro never disconnects. I've observed this for 2 wks. I went back stock, recovery and all and got ota from Sprint ..Seems to do fine on 3g but this wifi deal is very real. I even did a restore to stock rooted and still had issue .. Strange. I'm looking VERY forward to some newer radios!!!

Toroplus Gnex
CM9 Kang
Franco's r163

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is a not insignificant amount of people complaining about phones which upon activation (can make and receive calls) cannot receive 3g or 4g Data.

Pertinent Threads:
    http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/414670#414670#414670

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/415272#415272

about 7 pages of posts from just 2 threads on the front page.
    haven't even looked in the general samsung or customer service forums for individual complaints yet.

Observed BEHAVIOUR:
    * The phone is unable to maintain a consistent connection to 3G.
    * At times it'll connect to 3g. for a few minutes at most then lose the connection and ip address.
    * The signal icon doesnt say 3g. just shows bars. either says 1x/RTT in status or Evdo Rev A.

The SHADYNESS:
    From the threads above. We discover
    Sprint WAS until yesterday (4/24) replacing these defective handsets with new ones over the phone.
    On that morning there was a memo instructing support members to tell customers that a "open network ticket" has been opened and that it has nothing to do with the handset.(This is what happened to me tonight.)

DESPITE
    1. that I can ESN Swap back to my epic 4g and see everything is working quite well.
    2. demo Galaxy Nexus at the stores have their data working perfectly well.

empirically speaking, 1. eliminates the possibility of it being a activation/provision issue,
    2. eliminates the possibility that its LTE/3g activation related or a widespread network issue.

Sample Experiences from people in the sprint forums.

moonsea63 said:
    Also had hours of frustration with Sprint trying to troubleshoot no 3G connectivity on the Galaxy Nexus. On Saturday, they knew nothing about it. Finally Sunday, someone finally acknowledged a widespread "manufacturing defect," for which they are now authorizing return and replacement. Another person on my account received his Galaxy Nexus and his is OK, so it was a 50/50 shot! Mine was shipped today and they sent me a return label to send back the defective phone.

Also had hours of frustration with Sprint trying to troubleshoot no 3G connectivity on the Galaxy Nexus. On Saturday, they knew nothing about it. Finally Sunday, someone finally acknowledged a widespread "manufacturing defect," for which they are now authorizing return and replacement. Another person on my account received his Galaxy Nexus and his is OK, so it was a 50/50 shot! Mine was shipped today and they sent me a return label to send back the defective phone.

I've so far counted 31 instances of people having a faulty phone in my limited research on this topic. If we take into account the small microcosm forum users are of regular users. We can extrapolate that there is a widespread defect. adding the factor that sprint has come up with a "story" for their customer support reps to use to tell customers it will be 48 - 72 hours before getting a answer. We might surmise this is because they don't wish to use up current limited stock on exchanges of faulty phones.

I'm curious how much this has affected any of you.

Baseband/Kernel/Software versions of those who have issues:

Model: Galaxy Nexus
    Kernel: 3.0.8-000006-g7f9fec6 se.infra@SEI 29 #1 SMP PREEMPT TUE MAR 27 14:48:25 KST 2012
    Baseband: L700.05 V.FC12 / L700.FC12
    Build Number IMM76D.L70012

FB mode details:
    Product name - tuna
    Variant - toro 32gb
    HW version - 14
    Bootloader PrimeLC02
    Baseband Version L700,FC12
    CDMA l700,FC12
    SIGNING: PRODUCTION

What I've personally tried aka Hours of my life I'll never get back.

* Dialer Code Hard resets, 1 hour troubleshooting with dialer codes with sprint tech
    * Factory Resets
    * ESN Swapping to verify that my Epic 4g is rather golden. my Gnex is not.
    * Connecting to wifi to download newest profile updates and PRLs.
    * Switching between CDMA and LTE/CDMA modes.
    * Checking CDMA diagnostics with the qualcomm tools and stuff for some kind of obvious error
    because after 6 hours of troubleshooting I've gone ADD OCD.
    * Parking next to the fence of the nearest confirmed LTE/CDMA sprint cellphone tower.
    Basking in the warmth of Cancer granting 3g/4g deliciousness. Cycling airplane mode.
    Updating Profile/PRL/LTE on and off/activation as I whispered sweet words of encouragement into the headset.
    * Praying.
    * Sacrificing a goat to Sprint CEO Dan Hesse
    * Breaking down, crying, calling customer support again.
    * They tell me it's not my phone's fault. There's a network issue. He'll open a ticket and fix it by tomorrow!
    * More crying.
    * Decided to be a big boy. and go Look for evidence of this network issue.
    instead I find widespread posts about people getting them replaced with
    working phones.

THIS IS XDA. NOOB. OBVIOUSLY YOU MUST HAVE ROOT/RAPEFLASHED/ILLEGALLY
    MODDED/QXDM'd up the phone til you broke it. Don't be a lying liar.
    Surrender control and experiment data!

Wasn't working locked, stock and barrel. Sam I am.
    Wasn't working unlocked. Wasn't working locked again.
    Wasn't working unrooted, rooted or unrooted again.
    Wasn't working after epst dialer code hard resets.
    Wasn't working after profile updates, prl updates.
    or after CWM factory settings/cache/dalvik wipe 3x wipe.
    or after factory reset.
    Wasn't working when i swapped to EPIC 4G and back to Gnex and reinitiated
    Hands free activation with a epst hard reset.
    Wasn't working before I even had the chance to properly flashrape the phone.
    Wasn't working before, during or after my green eggs and ham either
    Sam I am.

HEY OP DUDE. Sprint won't replace my phone! Store says stock it has is for sale not for repairs/exchange! HULK ANGRY

Banner down dude.
    I got a fool proof plan for you. Bro.

edit: Got it replaced at a store. SUCCESS!
    I didn't even have to go any further than Recourse 1.

Framework for getting a exchange/repair.

Note that while doing all/any of the below. You must remain polite, calm and civil at all times.
    Everyone you are talking to with the exception of store managers tend to just be "Cogs" in the machine.
    They are not the source of the problem. They are people. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

by being civil, understanding and reasonable. You negate their ability to excuse and ignore
    any fallout from their behaviour by saying you were a entitled irrational angry psycho customer.

1. Find a Corporate Sprint Service/Repair Store nearby. Call ahead first. Ask if they have galaxy nexus in stock. Tell them thanks. Hangup.
    Bring a notepad and pen with you to the store. Explain the situation and how it's a known problem. (you have a open network ticket but that you find it strange that their gnex in store works.) ask them how it can be a network issue. "Clearly it has to be the phone right?" ask them if they can exchange the phone. if they say no. ask why. If they say they have none in stock. state that you called before hand and they did. If he says they are for sale only. Take your pen and note the lie and reason. Look up, Smile, ask for their name, sprint id. and their manager, his name and his id and the store number. Should they ask why. Simply say so you can have it for reference and documentation to when you speak to executive services to help get your problem resolved.

Remain in the store.

2.Call customer support refer to your open network ticket, ask them how it can be a network ticket if the stores galaxy nexus works perfectly. Ask if they could ship you a replacement or ask the store to exchange yours.
    Should that fail. Run the same routine you did above. get first guy's id. if he makes his manager close the call. get his name and id if necessary.

3. Google these keywords: sprint consumerist executive customer service
    Find the number
    Call it while you are still in the store in front of the employees or manager. (Be cool.)
    Politely explain what's gone on. and the steps you've taken to resolve. (and how you've exhausted everything reasonably )
    and if they lied about it being a known issue or whatever. indicate their failings in a factual manner. give the lady their store ID, the employee and managers names as well as your customer service rep's and his manager's id. (if they lied about it being a known issue and about the change in policy)
    and that you've tried to be reasonable about escalating the issue yet
    These employees have been deceptive and unhelpful despite every reasonable step you've taken.
    More interested in having stock to sell and maintaining numbers than customer care. blah blah blah

If the store employees don't try to stop you before you call or during the call.
    it's pretty much guaranteed exec services will take care of you, Punish the store if they were unhelpful and lied.
    and get a working phone for you faster.

FOOLPROOF!
    or so I hope. but as mike tyson said. "Everybody's got a plan til they get KTFO."
    There is so much going on in your post OP. It's effing hilarious.

Not your issue though. That's corporate shenanigans.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA
    Could you post some more info about your phone to see if there's a pattern somewhere? eg. baseband version, locked or unlocked, have you flashed anything, etc
    updated OP with pertinent info.