Galaxy Nexus Extended Battery on Skyrocket?

Search This thread

babalonius508

Sep 29, 2011
Austin
I'm also curious about this. I currently use a PowerSkin case for extended battery life (which is awesome btw) but it would be cool to have this too!

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm assuming that the T989 battery is the same as the i727.

The two batteries are identical in size & function.
But the Skyrocket & T989 battery covers are very different. So while this Nexus battery is too large to allow the T989 battery-cover to fit over it, it could be worse or better for the Skyrocket.

Firedcylinder

Feb 29, 2012
The skyrocket is definitely thinner than the 989. My bro has the 989 and I tried my skyrocket otterbox on it and it wouldn't close all the way. Just thinking the battery cover would definitely not fit.

agafed

Jan 11, 2012
If the cover doesn't fit, people who has a case, may leave it like without the cover...

Although, I wouldn't do that. I'll prefer to look for a battery that fits perfectly.

guapinoy

Jan 5, 2007
It sure does fit! Really snug and a slight lift on the sides. But the battery cover snaps on fine. Great 25 dollar investment. I'll post some pics in a bit.

Some Pics:
album.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
I just got back from the verizon suite to try it. the right side of my cover closed fine but although the left side would close, you could see
The battery poking through the thin plastic cover and the left side kept popping open.

Also noticeably heavier.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

guapinoy

Jan 5, 2007
I snapped the battery case bottom, top, left, then right. (Reminds me of the Contra code) The left side is shut but it bulges out a bit like the picture. I have a case on it so it doesn't matter. But I guess if you run it naked, then it might matter to you.

Reactions: f308gt4

moose350

Mar 1, 2012
Houston
Thanks for this. Going to go pick one up tomorrow from verizon. I can get a solid 12 hours minimum from the stock SR battery. the extra juice should help it tremendously.

f308gt4

May 14, 2011
Thanks, let us know. I'm guessing it should probably make around a ~15% difference, so 12 hours x 0.15 = about an extra 1.8 hours.

I ordered one from Amazon, but it looks like I won't get it until next week. Should have just stopped by a Verizon store...

M0D1441

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 28, 2011
ATX
Thanks, let us know. I'm guessing it should probably make around a ~15% difference, so 12 hours x 0.15 = about an extra 1.8 hours.

I ordered one from Amazon, but it looks like I won't get it until next week. Should have just stopped by a Verizon store...

You can buy it then return it when you receive the one from amazon...I've done it with AT&T :p

Sent from my Skyrocket Running NexusMod 4 UCLA3 Developers Build

guapinoy

Jan 5, 2007
Can't comment on battery life. the extended battery is the only battery I've used on my new skyrocket. I do suggest people buy it at the Verizon store. Just because you get a one year warranty if you buy it there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think this info should be added to the op:
    ---------------------------------
    1. Go to Sprint Employee Referral Program [sprint.com]
    2. enter: russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com (as email) // 383 as Employee ID // [this info is public]
    3. make your way to accessories, select galaxy Nexus, add the battery [sprint.com] to cart and enter battery1 coupon code
    4. check out (total should be free, with free shipping), be sure to enter the employee email and ID on the check out page again.
    5. wait for the sent email

NOTE: The description says that it is a bundle that is free with purchase of GNex but it will allow you to checkout with just the battery in your cart! When I applied the coupon code, it redirected me to select a phone. When i clicked back (google chrome) and reapplied the coupon, it took me to checkout (free).
    ------------------------

This worked for me.
    Okay friends, now's the time to stock up! check out this deal for a FREE Nexus extended battery from Sprint! http://slickdeals.net/f/5055866-FREE-Sprint-Galaxy-Nexus-extended-battery?

I bought one for $0 shipped. Did have to enter my credit card info of course.

Enjoy!
    Here's an instructable on one method of trimming down the battery for those who have poor fitment.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Modify-a-Galaxy-Nexus-extended-battery-to-fit-the-/
    Do you mind posting pics of what you did?

Your wish is granted :)
    As with all modifications, I can not be held responsible for your actions. Including, but not limited to trying to modify your phone or battery. You will obviously lose the warranty on the battery, and possibly the phone.

I unwrapped the battery in step 1, thus exposing the NFC antenna, so It's there for sure :)
    I only needed to take a bit off the top left corner, not even the unwrapping part. It's just plastic that's needed to keep it looking symmetric. Who cares about looks when its gonna be covered by the lid. I'll take a pick with my transformer, but i'm in my car, so please excuse the lighting

{This is the extended battery that is sold by Verizon for the Samsung galaxy nexus, It has just been undressed (needlessly), and sanded in the top left corner}

Please press the thank button if I helped

sent from my transformer prime