[Q] Buying M8 Full Retail via Website without Plan - Possible?

Search This thread

l7777

May 2, 2007
Not for me. Internet choices are very limited here, so my phone has become my modem/router.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium HD app
If you happen to have an older family plan where dumb phones are only $10/month you could add the M8 as a new line of service, go home and swap a dumb phone on the new line, then use the M8 with your unlimited line. The cost will break down like this.

M8 = $200 + activation fee if you can't get it waived
$10/month * 24
$100 Bill credit (ends on 3-31)

Grand total = $340

The stores will not promote this or do the swapping for you but it can be done.

If you happen to have an older family plan where dumb phones are only $10/month you could add the M8 as a new line of service, go home and swap a dumb phone on the new line, then use the M8 with your unlimited line. The cost will break down like this.

$10/month * 24

Grand total = $340

Don't have unlimited. Wish I did..

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium HD app

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

$10/month * 24

Grand total = $340

Store told me this was fraud and they would get fired. Manager of branch told me the same thing. He said if he physically sees somebody moving any phone to unlimited data line he has to remove it per Verizon. I asked for Verizon documentation that backs up his story. He says have a nice day sir. I said yeah that's what I thought and walked out. I think i hate 99% of Verizon employees and none of them have a clue

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

boxermansr

Jun 26, 2007
El Paso, TX
Store told me this was fraud and they would get fired. Manager of branch told me the same thing. He said if he physically sees somebody moving any phone to unlimited data line he has to remove it per Verizon. I asked for Verizon documentation that backs up his story. He says have a nice day sir. I said yeah that's what I thought and walked out. I think i hate 99% of Verizon employees and none of them have a clue

Customer care themselves suggested doing this, as I was going to pay retail to keep my unlimited. It'd be a bit cheaper going this route. Told me about the 100.00 activation credit too, and said it was pretty much a no brainer -- sucks that I'd have an extra line I don't need, but cheaper in the long run, even with the 9.99 a month charge.

zounduser

Mar 2, 2012
sioux falls SD
I bought mine straight up from mybullfrog.com we have a store here in my town. They are a Verizon retailer. U can probably buy on their website. Check it out. Couldn't hurt right?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

sfreemanoh

Oct 20, 2008
I bought mine straight up from mybullfrog.com we have a store here in my town. They are a Verizon retailer. U can probably buy on their website. Check it out. Couldn't hurt right?

If you're paying full retail, you can get one from Verizon.

l7777

May 2, 2007

No need to hate. The store employees are just doing their job. According to this it would seem that Verizon and AT&T can't stop people from moving the SIM from device to device which is essentially all you are doing. Of course we all know the carriers can usually do whatever they want.

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
No need to hate. The store employees are just doing their job. According to this it would seem that Verizon and AT&T can't stop people from moving the SIM from device to device which is essentially all you are doing. Of course we all know the carriers can usually do whatever they want.
the thing is though I went to a different Verizon store and they did it no problems or questions asked though. needless to say I wont be going back to that store. And that is exactly what they were acting like. They didn't like me switching sims on my own they wanted me to bring to them which is pointless. I know have a sim adapter so I can go back and forth between htc m8 and note 3 without ever going into a store!!

sfreemanoh

Oct 20, 2008
Yes If u have a account.

I don't get your point... If you don't have a Verizon account, why would you buy a Verizon phone? And you don't need a Verizon account to pay full retail for a phone from their store, you can just walk in, say "I want this phone", hand them money, and walk back out. Unless if something's changed...but I've heard of people buying new devices as presents for people, and this is how they did it.

zounduser

Mar 2, 2012
sioux falls SD
I don't get your point... If you don't have a Verizon account, why would you buy a Verizon phone? And you don't need a Verizon account to pay full retail for a phone from their store, you can just walk in, say "I want this phone", hand them money, and walk back out. Unless if something's changed...but I've heard of people buying new devices as presents for people, and this is how they did it.

Lol. Dude.........I buy Verizon phones because they are SIM unlocked out of the box. And yes, it's changed, Verizon or AT&T will not sale a device to anyone right out, unless u have a account to tie it to. Only way to do it is to buy from a Verizon retailer. With AT&T, u can tell them u are gonna use it on their pay as u go pre paid, and they will sale it to u. But then u also need to pay for a month of that prepaid service. Believe me dude, I know. Also, it may vary in different areas too.

snoop5

Oct 13, 2010
Stokesdale, NC
OK question.....I have five unlimited plans. With three of them month to month ,can I still upgrade 1 line and then switch sim card to another line and still keep unlimited... Thanks in advance

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

jax187

Yes you can. That's what I did when I bought the M7.. I upgraded my 2gig line and swapped my SIM and I had no problems. Also do the first activation on the 2gig line not the unlimited. I plan on doing this again to get the M8 on my unlimited line. :D

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using xda app-developers app

Reactions: snoop5

snoop5

Oct 13, 2010
Stokesdale, NC
Yes you can. That's what I did when I bought the M7.. I upgraded my 2gig line and swapped my SIM and I had no problems. Also do the first activation on the 2gig line not the unlimited. I plan on doing this again to get the M8 on my unlimited line. :D

ok to be right, i go to store activate m8 on line 1 which will put it on 2 gigs,then just put sim card in line 2 and i will still be unlimited on line 2

Abe21599

Apr 13, 2009
Yes..just put the sim in from the unlimited line and you'll be good to go. Some Verizon stores are cool about it and will do the SIM swap for you. Depends on the store. Hope it works out for you.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app

corporate stores - SIM cards are free. just tell them what you wanna do

"authorized retailers" or the like - try to charge you for a SIM card. only do this if a corporate store is out of the question

Reactions: jax187

Denvertoad

Sep 5, 2010
SAved on taxes using Swappa

We live in So. CAl and taxes on phones are outrageous. On a new phone through Verizon store it was $62.00 per phone. Bought from 2 Swappa, paid $590 each and came out ahead. Plus we still have an upgrade that's unused. :good:

jlczl

Oct 22, 2005
Yup. Swappa is the way to go. Brand new never used going for fair prices. Just sold one yesterday and will be selling another tomorrow for a friend who also did the BOGO even though he only needed one phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It works fine for me. You should get a pop asking whether you want to upgrade or add a device, you want to upgrade since that is the only way you can keep your plan. You will then be taken back to the screen to select whether you want the contract price or non contract price...Continue on and you should be good to go. At the review stage you will see nothing changed regarding your plan (unless you chose to do so). I didn't actually do this because I'm probably just going to swing over to the store and pick one up, however I was one button away from doing so.

Talking to Verizon reps is usually a waste of time. If you are smart enough to have made it to this forum, you surely already know more than they do.

My plan is sweet as F*** by the way, 44.95 for unlimited everything except phone which is 25 cents per minute. Considering I usually use between 15-75 minutes a month it's a steal. Let's see how many decades I can ride this out?

ok to be right, i go to store activate m8 on line 1 which will put it on 2 gigs,then just put sim card in line 2 and i will still be unlimited on line 2

Thanks. Have to make sure, unlimited is sacred....lol;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
    Yes..just put the sim in from the unlimited line and you'll be good to go. Some Verizon stores are cool about it and will do the SIM swap for you. Depends on the store. Hope it works out for you.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app

corporate stores - SIM cards are free. just tell them what you wanna do

"authorized retailers" or the like - try to charge you for a SIM card. only do this if a corporate store is out of the question