No operating system, Help!

Search This thread

root121

Apr 19, 2014
I flashed GPE on my M8 yesterday and decided I wanted to go back to Sense. Now I'm stuck without a OS and no backup. :(
I can get in TRWP recovery and Fastboot can recognize my device.

How do I enable USB debugging? would I need to manually install the drivers on PC?

Helpppppp :(

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
Boot to recovery.
Connect your phone to your pc.
Use adb to push a rom to your phone.
Adb push romfilename.zip /sdcard

Wait for it to finish, flash rom.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: root121

root121

Apr 19, 2014
Boot to recovery.

Thanks, I did this but when I try install in recovery I get the following
E:unable to mount ' /cache'
failed

?

waz675

Jun 9, 2012
Geelong
AFAIK you can't go back to sense after gpe due to partition size limits. Unless thatb has been fixed recently, that may be the cause of not being able to flash the ROM

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

grentuu

Jan 9, 2011
Just outside of Manchester UK
failed

?

I had similar issue.

connect through adb

adb reboot bootloader

and then follow gpe ruu instructions again (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708589 )

At least that way you are working

If you are adamant about returning to Sense read through the entire GPE thread, Navalynt has posted a working fix., BUT reinstall GPE first

Personally I prefer GPE ;)

Last edited:

Ideas4ya

Aug 10, 2012
OnePlus Open
failed

?

You could also try flashing Viper. Any of the versions will flash the correct partitions for you to migrate to any other Sense rom after you install it. I would suggest using Viper as a stepping stone to the version of Sense you want. I would...1) Download Viper rom on my pc. 2) Using a sd card reader, transfer the rom to your external sd card then put it back in your phone. 3) Flash viper and allow the phone to settle for about 10 min. 4) Reboot into recovery and flash any other sense rom you're looking for.

Yes, this worked for me, that's the only reason I would suggest it. I go from Sense to GPE all the time, without a pc, and without that command-line stuff.

Last edited:

grentuu

Jan 9, 2011
You could also try flashing Viper. Any of the versions will flash the correct partitions for you to migrate to any other Sense rom after you install it. I would suggest using Viper as a stepping stone to the version of Sense you want. I would...1) Download Viper rom on my pc. 2) Using a sd card reader, transfer the rom to your external sd card then put it back in your phone. 3) Flash viper and allow the phone to settle for about 10 min. 4) Reboot into recovery and flash any other sense rom you're looking for.

Yes, this worked for me, that's the only reason I would suggest it. I go from Sense to GPE all the time, without a pc, and without that command-line stuff.

This will work if you are talking about GPE Rom, not the GPE RUU Full conversion. (Although as always I am prepared to be shocked :p )
Plus you have the USB debugging issue...

There are complete threads about issues coming back from the full conversion. The Op states in the original thread

"PSA After converting you will not be able to flash Sense based roms due to the different size of the system partitions between the sense version and the GPE."

Probably need more info

1) Did you flash graffixsync's RUU or a GPE rom?
2) Did you re-enable usb debugging in the new rom before flashing back?
3) What rom did you flash back?
4) What happened on rebooting?

Last edited:

Ideas4ya

Aug 10, 2012
OnePlus Open
This will work if you are talking about GPE Rom, not the GPE RUU Full conversion. (Although as always I am prepared to be shocked :p )

There are complete threads about issues coming back from the full conversion. The Op states in the originsal thread

PSA After converting you will not be able to flash Sense based roms due to the different size of the system partitions between the sense version and the GPe.

Correct. But I think that he/she flashed a GPE rom, not the conversion. My response will solve that issue while sidestepping the usb debugging issue. If you remove the external sd and transfer the rom from the pc to the card then you don't need usb debugging enabled at all.

Root121 can you tell us if you flashed the GPE rom or the GPE full conversion? (I don't want to lead you down the wrong path)

Last edited:

grentuu

Jan 9, 2011
Correct. But I think that he/she flashed a GPE rom, not the conversion. My response will solve that issue while sidestepping the usb debugging issue. If you remove the external sd and transfer the rom from the pc to the card then you don't need usb debugging enabled at all.

Root121 can you tell us if you flashed the GPE rom or the GPE full conversion? (I don't want to lead you down the wrong path)

Lol, which is why I edited to ask the question ;)

root121

Apr 19, 2014
I flashed the GPE Rom. also USB debugging was enabled when I was attempting to go back. I ended up formatting and rebooted with no OS installed :eek: on reboot it just stopped at the HTC splash screen.

I am trying to Sideload GPE rom on CWM recovery, getting this error...

E:Error in /data/media/0/gpe.zip
(Status 7)

grentuu

Jan 9, 2011
I flashed the GPE Rom. also USB debugging was enabled when I was attempting to go back. I ended up formatting and rebooted with no OS installed :eek: on reboot it just stopped at the HTC splash screen.

I am trying to Sideload GPE rom on CWM recovery, getting this error...

E:Error in /data/media/0/gpe.zip
(Status 7)

Did you run MD5 check? If not check your zip. After that try to

Reboot in TWRP recovery and Select Advanced and Click "Fix Permissions". After that give it another try

root121

Apr 19, 2014
Hey guys

I formatted the storage, installed TWRP recovery again and managed to sideload Viper :)

Thanks!

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
Glad it's working!

Dunno why everyone was talking about GPE conversion.. You never mentioned anything about having done a gpe conversion -_-

In any case, for future reference, USB debugging is merely a software setting for while in rom. It will not affect fastboot and Adb will work fine in twrp regardless. So if you have no rom installed, it doesn't matter if USB debugging was ever enabled or not.

Last edited:

Ideas4ya

Aug 10, 2012
OnePlus Open
Glad it's working!

Dunno why everyone was talking about GPE conversion.. You never mentioned anything about having done a gpe conversion -_-

In any case, for future reference, USB debugging is merely a software setting for while in rom. It will not affect fastboot and Adb will work fine in twrp regardless. So if you have no rom installed, it doesn't matter if USB debugging was ever enabled or not.

Agreed.

Reactions: exad

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Glad it's working!

Boot to recovery.

failed

?

There are complete threads about issues coming back from the full conversion. The Op states in the original thread

"PSA After converting you will not be able to flash Sense based roms due to the different size of the system partitions between the sense version and the GPE."

Probably need more info

1) Did you flash graffixsync's RUU or a GPE rom?
    2) Did you re-enable usb debugging in the new rom before flashing back?
    3) What rom did you flash back?
    4) What happened on rebooting?
    Glad it's working!

Agreed.