Google Glass... in class ;)

Search This thread

Jaxbot

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Wrote up a little blog post about Google Glass in my college classes. It's pretty dang useful, actually.

I've heard plenty of complaints about the camera on the device, but it seems to be able to get the projector screen just fine:

glass_in_class1.jpg

Useful for when I need to get something copied verbatim ;)

More pics and my write up: http://okaysass.com/posts/14-03-13-google-glass-in-the-classroom

Anyone else using Glass in class?

Reactions: KillerBeaver

KillerBeaver

Oct 19, 2010
Yeah, I use them in class all the time for the exact same purpose. It's awesome I can focus on listening and understanding, not copying content.

Sent from my One using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Jaxbot

pixel7474

Jun 18, 2013
ok this is a pretty good idea. still not sure if they're still worth the purchase overall. any other tips or tricks you suggest for these glasses?

tech.central

Jul 7, 2012
classroom, batterylife

Yupp! (or about to be in 5-7 business days)

Yeah, I use them in class all the time for the exact same purpose. It's awesome I can focus on listening and understanding, not copying content.

I have 2 questions.

1.How good is the battery life in terms of recording? (and in general)

2.How did your school (teachers students and especially administration) react to glass?
My school is really tech friendly and open minded so I'm not to worried, however that is in high contrast to my previous school who would have most likely banned the use of glass (they wouldn't care what it actually did, and they wouldn't listen to logic). I am finishing up my last year of high school so I know colleges are more open but it would still be nice to know your feedback.

ok this is a pretty good idea. still not sure if they're still worth the purchase overall. any other tips or tricks you suggest for these glasses?

Glass is most definitely not worth $1500 for the practical application (unless you are just rich), I bought it to be part of the explorer team and be on the "inside group" of tech, while I can't say how much it benefits my life yet, I really doubt it benefits me 5 times as much as my nexus 5 (which is $300). I think it will need a good range of applications and a cheaper price before I would buy it as a consumer, however I'm optimistic that that will happen.

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Yupp! (or about to be in 5-7 business days)

I have 2 questions.

1.How good is the battery life in terms of recording? (and in general)

Recording you can get ~45 minutes, but it'll get really hot. It's specifically designed to make recording long videos difficult, for privacy reasons. (Well, so they say ;) )

2.How did your school (teachers students and especially administration) react to glass?

It's the University of Central Florida, so I don't have my old highschool admins breathing down my neck ;) They would've nailed me in a hardbeat, no doubt, but they also banned the possession of electronic devices, and would commonly announce that "ipads, iphones, phones, and xboxes need to be turned off and stowed away". Ah, MHS.

Glass is most definitely not worth $1500 for the practical application (unless you are just rich), I bought it to be part of the explorer team and be on the "inside group" of tech, while I can't say how much it benefits my life yet, I really doubt it benefits me 5 times as much as my nexus 5 (which is $300). I think it will need a good range of applications and a cheaper price before I would buy it as a consumer, however I'm optimistic that that will happen.

Correct. It's not worth its current price. But I tend not to think about it that way. If you have money to blow that you wouldn't spend elsewhere, then it's worth it. You really shouldn't try to apply logic to an impulse buy, it'll just make you feel bad about it ;)

frostincredible

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
Florida
Small world! Sup. What classes are you in? I'm in CS1 and OOP, being the first year I am, but I'm pretty easy to find. Would love to chat!

Even smaller world, I clicked your Twitter link only to find out that you commented on the post I put on UCF's CS Facebook page. I am the one that posted the "Glass is available for a day" post! I'm also first year, but haven't taken CS1 yet. I'm currently in OOP though, which class are you in? I'm 2:30 M/W/F with Whiting.

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Even smaller world, I clicked your Twitter link only to find out that you commented on the post I put on UCF's CS Facebook page. I am the one that posted the "Glass is available for a day" post! I'm also first year, but haven't taken CS1 yet. I'm currently in OOP though, which class are you in? I'm 2:30 M/W/F with Whiting.

Ha, so you're right! Small world indeed. And yeah, I'm in Whiting's class. But I stopped going last week; my grade is too high in that class to justify listening to her go on and on about IDEs and ActionListeners. :p

frostincredible

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
Florida
Ha, so you're right! Small world indeed. And yeah, I'm in Whiting's class. But I stopped going last week; my grade is too high in that class to justify listening to her go on and on about IDEs and ActionListeners. :p

Lol, true. I pretty much stopped going after she said the last test had some of the worst grades and I sat there like "But I got a 100..." so I deemed it worthless to go anymore.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wrote up a little blog post about Google Glass in my college classes. It's pretty dang useful, actually.

I've heard plenty of complaints about the camera on the device, but it seems to be able to get the projector screen just fine:

glass_in_class1.jpg

Useful for when I need to get something copied verbatim ;)

More pics and my write up: http://okaysass.com/posts/14-03-13-google-glass-in-the-classroom

Sent from my One using xda app-developers app