[Q] i9300 can't connect to any wifi networks on custom ROM, tried everything
I've recently purchased a Galaxy S3 International which works perfectly fine on the stock ROM (4.1.2). However, when using any unofficial ROM (I've tried Paranoid Android 3.99 and 3.97, CM 10.2, 10.1 and 9.1, Slimbean and some others), I can't connect to any wifi network. The problem doesn't come from the routers, because I've tried connecting at school and on the 2 routers at home, I even configured one of them to be open just to be sure I haven't typed my password wrong 100 times in a row. What happens is I click on the network, enter my password, and nothing happens. No error, nothing. The network is displayed as "Saved, secured with WPA/whatever" and when I click on it again, it says "Connecting..." for half a second, then goes back to "Saved, ...". Another symptom I noticed, is that the signal strength varies wildly even though the router is no more than 2 meters away.
Anyway, I spent hours searching for a solution, in this forum and outside. I've found some, but none of them work. Here's what I've tried so far:
- Wiping: I've tried every combination of wiping-flashing-rewiping possible, I even reflashed a stock image through Odin
- /data/.cid.info trick: tried it manually through adb, as well as the flashable zip someone here made, didn't help
- Taking the /etc/wifi folder from another ROM and implanting it in the ROM with the problem. Here I've tried 2 /etc/wifi folder: one I've found on this forum, the other I took from my recovery of the stock rom. I've tried 2 implanting methods, first adb push-ing the folder into place (and having deleted the old one of course), second was to put the wifi folder into a ROM's zip and flash that. None of those combinations work. I even tried deleting the wifi folder as a last resort, made wifi unusable of course
- Flashing a new radio: tried 2-3 of them, all made my phone unusable (must be the EFS/IMEI thing). Had to reflash stock through Odin.
- Trying another ROM: as I said, I tried enough of them, even older versions. Only stock works
Now I've spent an entire night looking at this and I come here and ask you for help as a last resort.
Thanks in advance!