Offline GPS Solution for Android? (no data plan needed, just like Windows Mobile GPS)

Search This thread

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
Ok...in order for me to keep Android on my Touch and not go back to Windows Mobile, there MUST be an offline GPS solution for Android. By that I mean GPS software that reads maps from the SD card and does not need a data connection on the phone at all; like TomTom does on Windows Mobile - it has all the POIs stored on the SD card (including their phone number) so I can get directions, look up numbers, and directly call businesses from the GPS app without ever needing any internet connectivity. I have a 16GB card, so storing maps of the whole USA won't be a problem....did it just fine in WinMo using TomTom...

So, does anyone know of a GPS application that can do this for Android? Having to connect to the internet for GPS maps (like Google maps) is just unacceptable, especially since GPS has been free through satellites for decades now. Bottom line - I just want GPS to work like it did on Windows Mobile...no data plan needed, and maps stored locally on the SD card. Easy and fast.

If this is not possible then it is very apparent that TomTom on WinMo is far superior to any Android GPS solution, and I will be forced to switch back.

mrkite38

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 30, 2009
California
it says you have to download the maps through another program called "ContentDroyd"...this defeats the whole purpose of making this work for phones without a data connection.

the newest version of contentdroyd will allow you to download them from a computer instead of through the phone. then you put the maps on sd.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
the newest version of contentdroyd will allow you to download them from a computer instead of through the phone. then you put the maps on sd.

the latest version of ContentDroyd is still just an APK file, so how do you download them on your computer? IS there a public site that has the map files?

Also I read that any vector map format can be used in their compressed map format...does this mean I can use the nicer and more complete TomTom or Garmin map files somehow?

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
Sometimes you can find public sites, yes. I'm happy to post it if that's within the rules, I'll check. Then you use adb to install it.

I can transfer files directly to my SD card over my USB cable, that is not the problem...I just need a site that has the map file. I can download and transfer them myself manually. Also - why would it be against the rules since the maps are freeware?

-edit-
Their site just has a list...no download links.
http://www.mapdroyd.com/map-android-more

This is so dumb, why are they trying to hide how to download it, even on their site, when they fully allow downloads thru your phone - makes no sense

Last edited:

mrkite38

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 30, 2009
California
I can transfer files directly to my SD card over my USB cable, that is not the problem...I just need a site that has the map file. I can download and transfer them myself manually. Also - why would it be against the rules since the maps are freeware?

-edit-
Their site just has a list...no download links.
http://www.mapdroyd.com/map-android-more

This is so dumb, why are they trying to hide how to download it, even on their site, when they fully allow downloads thru your phone - makes no sense

Sorry, I didn't mean the maps - I meant the newest mapdroyd and contentdroyd apks so you don't have to download them. You could then install those through adb.

seanmcd72

Sep 11, 2007
Does the GPS even work well enough with warm donut? I have gotten it to work a few times, but most of the time it struggles to find a signal... :mad:

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
GPS works fine in mine. finally got GPS to work in RLS3 of myn's Warm Donut, but only after I installed GPStest and rebooted. Now I get locks in 30 seconds on a cold start

Anyway, I cannot find the SMD files for the UnitedStates, and if this thing doesn't even do turn by turn directions, then why was it made? Just so you can see a dot on a map? Whooptie do. Android is looking less and less attractive the longer I use it.

seanmcd72

Sep 11, 2007
Ok I take it back, I just updated my radio to 3.42.5 and looks like GPS is working better than ever! Not sure about not having a dataplan as when I had Windows, it always made an internet connection at first?

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
Ok I take it back, I just updated my radio to 3.42.5 and looks like GPS is working better than ever! Not sure about not having a dataplan as when I had Windows, it always made an internet connection at first?

No, that is my point...you never needed a data plan/internet connection to use GPS. GPS has always been free up until a few years ago when cell companies started tying data into it through what is called A-GPS (assisted GPS), and also so they could provide local 411 listings, etc. The GPS chip inside our phones works fine by itself to get directions, and do routing and turn by turn, etc (which is software based). No internet connection is needed to use GPS, and it shouldn't ever be.

Ok, my rant about phone companies muddying up true GPS is over...I fear that Android will never be as powerful a Windows Mobile was with GPS. People who think Google Maps and programs like Copilot are great GPS apps, have no clue what they are missing.

incubus26jc

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 12, 2009
Illinois
No, that is my point...you never needed a data plan/internet connection to use GPS. GPS has always been free up until a few years ago when cell companies started tying data into it through what is called A-GPS (assisted GPS), and also so they could provide local 411 listings, etc. The GPS chip inside our phones works fine by itself to get directions, and do routing and turn by turn, etc (which is software based). No internet connection is needed to use GPS, and it shouldn't ever be.

Ok, my rant about phone companies muddying up true GPS is over...I fear that Android will never be as powerful a Windows Mobile was with GPS. People who think Google Maps and programs like Copilot are great GPS apps, have no clue what they are missing.

my experience tom tom and destinator both worked much better with agps. i used both

mirth18

Sep 30, 2009
Anyway, I cannot find the SMD files for the UnitedStates, and if this thing doesn't even do turn by turn directions, then why was it made? Just so you can see a dot on a map? Whooptie do. Android is looking less and less attractive the longer I use it.

Android on the touch is a work in progress. It is a hobby by fueled by enthusiasts, and given that it has come a LONG way in a short time. You shouldn't expect things to "just work", but often they do. (and IMHO better than WinMo.)

Also you are trying to compare a commercial app (Tom Tom) to a freeware alternative (mapDryod). This doesn't mean that it is inferior, but you usually have to pay the cost in time instead of money. Learning and tweaking the application that might not "just work" out of the box.

If Android on the touch isn't working out for you, then feel free to jump in and help get things working. Trollish comments and demanding functionality on threat of dropping Android doesn't help anyone much.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
Android on the touch is a work in progress. It is a hobby by fueled by enthusiasts, and given that it has come a LONG way in a short time. You shouldn't expect things to "just work", but often they do. (and IMHO better than WinMo.)

Also you are trying to compare a commercial app (Tom Tom) to a freeware alternative (mapDryod). This doesn't mean that it is inferior, but you usually have to pay the cost in time instead of money. Learning and tweaking the application that might not "just work" out of the box.

If Android on the touch isn't working out for you, then feel free to jump in and help get things working. Trollish comments and demanding functionality on threat of dropping Android doesn't help anyone much.

I am not talking about "Android on the Touch"...I am talking about Android in general - NO Android phone in the world can have GPS that can even come close to matching WinMo's available apps. - no complaining here, just a fact now after my research.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
my experience tom tom and destinator both worked much better with agps. i used both

better, hmm...yes technically - in terms of getting an initial lock (15 seconds with a data plan, or 30 seconds without data....big deal. once you had a fix it stayed fixed until you rebooted or went into an underground cave or something (came back the second you walked out). Anyway, I have my answer to my original post...might be back on WinMo in a week or so. Bummer.

mirth18

Sep 30, 2009
NO Android phone in the world can have GPS that can even come close to matching WinMo's available apps. - no complaining here, just a fact now after my research.

Still trollish.. I for one find the tone of your posts to be unnecessarily aggressive, arrogant and unhelpful.

If you think that WinMo is better, maybe you should go back to using it?

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
Still trollish.. I for one find the tone of your posts to be unnecessarily aggressive, arrogant and unhelpful.

If you think that WinMo is better, maybe you should go back to using it?

I have been 100% factual in my statements. Offline GPS routing and maps are not available like they are on WinMo.....that is what I wanted to know when I posted this thread, and I got my answer. I am sorry you don't like the answer.

Besides, I already said I might go back to WinMo in a week.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MapDroyd......
    HA

I have always been a WinMo user and had Garmin XT on an LG Incite and it worked sooo swift - with NO DATA PLAN.

Here is an explanation for those of you who have been badgering crobs808:

1) (Data plan for 48 mo.) x ($25 a month Data on ATT) = $1200.

^Hell no,

2) I buy an unlocked phone online for $130, find a GPS program, find maps.

Worked sometimes quicker than my brother's Sony Navigation.

Crobs is simply looking for GPS application development on Android. And I'm now in the same boat with Android, and it appears the progress is poor.
    I'm not sure all of you have considered all possible reasons for wanting an offline GPS system and the flaming of the OP is just stupid.

I got to this thread because I'm after the same thing - an offline GPS system that I can use without having to have a live data connection. I have a cheap unlimited data plan, but that all goes to sh1t when you're in the mountains and have sucky reception. You're travelling happily down a route when all of a sudden there's traffic or some other reason to warrant a change of road. But you're out of range from the nearest tower. With an online system, you're buggered. I've had it with that dependancy, it sucks botty.

So - does anyone have any sensible advice for finding an offline Android GPS system that someone can use IRRESPECTIVE of their reasons for wanting on?

Cheers.
    On the topic of GPS without a data plan, I've been wanting this forever. I'm glad so many people have suggested apps. I'm going to try all of these ideas. If I find a winner, I'll probably come back and thank you all again. Extra thanks to the OP for having the balls to continue insisting that this is a noble question that needs answering, because as time goes by, more people get a chance to answer it.

This thread cracks me up, because I just bought a phone with no data plan, no voice plan, and no plan to get any of those plans. Why? Because an Android portable device isn't always a "Smartphone" unless you use it as a "Smartphone".

To a developer, like a few of the people who read this thread probably are, an Android device is a device that can be used to satisfy many needs. I've used "Phones" as ebook readers since 2000, before Kindle was an idea in anyones head. I've used the HTC Universal as an entire PC for over a year, for nearly everything, and that was around 2005. I know a few friends that will drop hundreds on Arduino hardware to make a robot, an electronically controlled fish feeding system, or other bizarre custom applications, and they're all switching to Android for that type of use, simply because an Android phone can do many of the same things, and much more more, for a lower price. It's a shame so many people have repeated over and over again how Android = Smartphone. That's a little ridiculous from my point of view. I think the very developers who make Android, as well as the smart folks that port it from device to device are among the people who appreciate that Android will probably control your refridgerator someday, if not be the OS that runs on your commercially purchased GPS device. So, for that matter, why is it so crazy to use an Android device without a dataplan? I'm planning on using my 1GHZ Snapdragon processor carrying "HTC Droid Incredible" as an mp3 player, portable movie player, ebook reader, GPS (NOT A-GPS), Music Composer, Digital Recorder, Word Processor, and VOIP Client. Look up the cost of an 802.11g enabled VIOP phone, or an mp3 player that also plays DVD encoded movies and tell me again how I shouldn't buy an Android device sold as a "Smartphone" without a dataplan. And I have no problem affording data plans. I live in the US and have had unlimited for the past 5 years on a different phone. I don't see how that is relevant. I like to hike and dataplans don't work on the side of mountains surrounded by other mountains and no wireless base stations.
    Offline Android GPS List - No Internet Required

There are many offline Android GPS apps. Here are some of the better ones:

*CoPilot
    NavDroid
    *MapDroyd
    IGoMyWay
    Locus
    *Sygic
    Orux
    *TomTom
    *Navigon
    *NDrive
    Navitel
    *NavFree
    TravelDroyd
    Navit

* Seem to be the highest rated, but YMMV. :)

You can also download Google Maps for any area and use them offline, but you won't get vocal navigation or online directions, just GPS-sync'ed maps, like a paper map.

Many of these apps are FREE, and some are very inexpensive. No need to spend a lot of money.

The OSM Project (open street map) provides free maps that are used on a wide range of Android apps (openstreetmap dot org)

Before you commit to any app, always download a demo and use it for a few days.