[MOD][4.2.1/4.2][JOP40D/JOP40C] Tethering/Wifi Hotspot for the Nexus 7 3G

Search This thread

paolocorpo

Jan 9, 2013
Sassoferrato
Hi
can you describe better in witch way you have fixed ??
I have the some issue
I can connect other devices on wi.fi but i can't surf with them (i tried with a BB9360 and a PC windows XP SP3)

My N7 is:
32GB 3G 4.2.1 rom stock + root + kernel stock with a microsim TIM (Italy provider)
PS
Could be an provider's restriction ??

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

I ahve the some issue

Up

hanperng

Jul 1, 2011
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1950858

I'm using v1.2

I didn't install phone apk because my nexus 7 is using a data only plan.
So I don't know which phone apk u r using.
U may try to upload the phone apk u using here, maybe there are someone who can help u.

could u send me the kernal which u r using?
I'm interested in it. Thx.

Try to flash this again or check ur setting
I flash this into my nexus 7 and success to surfing internet on my razr maxx via my nexus 7.

aagrlp640

Question

Through a custom recovery
Hi everyone, i am using Nexus toolkit, but i have a question, which option i have to choose to flash de zip, i am stuck in the step where there are options to unlock, root, flash recovery [cwm touch], install busybox, 1 click for all ... etc
I appreciate your help
I am new in this.
thanks.

Attachments

• img.jpg
    img.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 177

paolocorpo

Jan 9, 2013
Sassoferrato
In 4.2.1 (JOP40D) version connects but does not share the connection, you must configure anything besides installing the zip?

Thanks,

I have the some issue

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

Found the issue, apn change after i update to 4.2.1
Change back to right one does the trick.

Can you describe better the trick ??

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

After reading all 9 pages of this very interesting 3D i understood that the MOD is running well is we are usinf stock or modified rom based on 4.2 version of Android
The mOD does not run well with 4.2.1
Infact in this case the device is able to use the setting of hotspot but a new device connected by hotspot cannot surf on internet :(
Are you agreed with me ??

If yes ... probably it could be better introduce this warning on 1° post;)

Last edited:

paolocorpo

Jan 9, 2013
Sassoferrato
Hi everyone, i am using Nexus toolkit, but i have a question, which option i have to choose to flash de zip, i am stuck in the step where there are options to unlock, root, flash recovery [cwm touch], install busybox, 1 click for all ... etc
I appreciate your help
I am new in this.
thanks.

have you rooted your device ??
If yes you can perform the thing using the recovery
If not you can operform only by toolkit but i amnot sure about the option and about teh possibility to do it wo root

aagrlp640

My solution for enable Tethering and portable hotspot option

have you rooted your device ??
If yes you can perform the thing using the recovery
If not you can operform only by toolkit but i amnot sure about the option and about teh possibility to do it wo root

Hi thanks for your help!! :) i already did it and it works.

Im gonna write how i did it for other with the same problem:
The next steps are for enable recovery options in fastboot menu, so that you can install zip files and other options

1. First download Google Nexus_7_ToolKit_v4.0.0 and install it
It comes in this threat
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1809195
3. After that enable USB debugging on nexus 7, to do that, go to "Settings > About tablet" and click several times in "Build number" it shoud say you are developer or something like that. Then go back to settings and in Developer options check the USB debugging mode.
4. Then start Google Nexus 7 ToolKit on your pc, by default its installed in c:/Google Nexus 7 ToolKit/ToolKit.exe
5. You can choose to update or not, but you can automatically update only if you donate.
6. After that you have to choose the version of you nexus by introducing the number and then enter, in my case y use option (6. Android 4.2.1 build JOP40D) for 3g version (i dont know if it works in only wifi so do it under your own risk)
7. Stop in the next screen and turn off your nexus, then turn it on in Fastboot mode, to do that i use (volume- and power button) first press volume down and holding press power on button and hold both buttons till a screen appers, and leave the nexus like this, and connect it to your pc via usb cable (be sure to have installed drivers when installing Nexus 7 Toolkit so that your pc recognices the nexus 7).
8. Then back to the computer i choose option (8 1-click for all unlock, root, reneame, custon recovery, etc )
9. Then select option 2 SuperSu by chainFire, cause when i did this i have android 4.2.1 on my nexus, the other option doesnt work for my version of android
10. Then I choose option (1. Clockworkmod touch recovey) and after that it will ask you to confirm so write yes and then hit enter.
11. Then wait till the process finish, and if everything go well you should see in your nexus aplications one called “SuperSU”

Then to enable tethering and hotspot :D

1. Download the enabletether-JOP40D that stridger (The creator of the post(Thanks!!)) upload or the enabletether-JOP40C according to your nexus 7
2. And connect your nexus 7 to your computer and save the “enabletether-JOP40D.zip” on the root directory of sdcard
3. Then turn off your nexus 7 and turn it on in fastboot mode again pressing and holding volume down and power up.
4. Then navigate through menu with volume up and volume down, to “Recovery Mode” and press power button to choose, then wait a little, it should show you a menu.
5. Here choose “Install zip from sdcard” > Choose zip from sdcard > 0/ > enabletether-JOP40D.zip or wherever you save it and press power buttom to choose it, wait to the installation ends, and that’s all, reboot your nexus 7, and look for the option in Settings > More Settings > Tethering and portable hotspot
Hope this help people like me that have this problem.
Thanks everyone

aagrlp640

Yes i can

Ok and very weel but ... are you able to websurf with a device connected to hotspot created on N7 4.2.1 ??

Yes i can, i try it with my galaxy s3 by taking out its chip, and connecting to the network that nexus 7 create, and then try with some pages, and it work, another thing i have to do is to add the apn of my carrier on my nexus 7 cause it didnt let me connect me to 3g network
to add apn is in:
Settings > More.. > Mobile networks > Access Point Names and in options add new, in this case i use this cause im from Mexico

Nombre: Mexico: Telcel: Internet
APN: internet.itelcel.com
Nombre de usuario: webgprs
Contraseña: webgprs2003

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Ok and very weel but ... are you able to websurf with a device connected to hotspot created on N7 4.2.1 ??

Also try with my laptop and it works

paolocorpo

Jan 9, 2013
Sassoferrato
Yes i can, i try it with my galaxy s3 by taking out its chip, and connecting to the network that nexus 7 create, and then try with some pages, and it work, another thing i have to do is to add the apn of my carrier on my nexus 7 cause it didnt let me connect me to 3g network
to add apn is in:
Settings > More.. > Mobile networks > Access Point Names and in options add new, in this case i use this cause im from Mexico

Nombre: Mexico: Telcel: Internet
APN: internet.itelcel.com
Nombre de usuario: webgprs
Contraseña: webgprs2003

Thanks
I verified
In that position i found:
APN:ibox.tim.it
and i think it is correct :(

One question: is your SIM 3G able ??
If you just surf with yourN7 , do you nedd change APN ?? Or do you need change APN only to be able web surf on connected device ??

aagrlp640

87th

Thanks
I verified
In that position i found:
APN:ibox.tim.it
and i think it is correct :(

One question: is your SIM 3G able ??
If you just surf with yourN7 , do you nedd change APN ?? Or do you need change APN only to be able web surf on connected device ??

Yes the sim is 3g able
The APN is just to can surf through the web normally, to let know the nexus 7 where to connect to internet
If i wouldnt add this APN i wouldnt be able to use internet on my nexus
If you put your sim and open google or anything that use internet and it works then your APN is correct.

You cant navigate trought the other device that connect to nexus 7?
if so, try changing the name, password and the type of encryption, maybe some devices dont work with wpa2 psk

paolocorpo

Jan 9, 2013
Sassoferrato
Yes the sim is 3g able
The APN is just to can surf through the web normally, to let know the nexus 7 where to connect to internet
If i wouldnt add this APN i wouldnt be able to use internet on my nexus
If you put your sim and open google or anything that use internet and it works then your APN is correct.

You cant navigate trought the other device that connect to nexus 7?
if so, try changing the name, password and the type of encryption, maybe some devices dont work with wpa2 psk

Nothing :(
I tried to change SSID and kind of encryption (open too) but i am not able to websurf with device connected to hotspot of N7 :(
But i don't understood
If you simply want surf on N7 have you change APN ??
Or you change APN on N7 only when it is hotspot for other device ??

aagrlp640

and yjdost

Nothing :(
I tried to change SSID and kind of encryption (open too) but i am not able to websurf with device connected to hotspot of N7 :(
But i don't understood
If you simply want surf on N7 have you change APN ??
Or you change APN on N7 only when it is hotspot for other device ??

No, to navigate i use default apn from telcel, i dont change it, have you try connect diferent devices or just one?

paolocorpo

Jan 9, 2013
Sassoferrato
No, to navigate i use default apn from telcel, i dont change it, have you try connect diferent devices or just one?

So ...
you have a rooted N7 4.2.1
When you use the connection on your N7 you do nothing (like me)
When you create a hotspot, you change APN in order to make possible that a second device connected to N7 can surf
Some questions:
where did you knowed it ??
In this situation ...is the N7 able to surf the web contestually ??

Yes i tried with my PC too with the some result

aagrlp640

So ...
you have a rooted N7 4.2.1
When you use the connection on your N7 you do nothing (like me)
When you create a hotspot, you change APN in order to make possible that a second device connected to N7 can surf
Some questions:
where did you knowed it ??
In this situation ...is the N7 able to surf the web contestually ??

Yes i tried with my PC too with the some result

you have a rooted N7 4.2.1 Yes i root it using Nexus 7 Toolkit using the option 1-click for all unlock, root, reneame, custon recovery, etc.. Do you do that already?
When you use the connection on your N7 you do nothing (like me) I can use nexus 7 while tethering and hotspoting the connection with other device
When you create a hotspot, you change APN in order to make possible that a second device connected to N7 can surfNo, i just have 1 apn configured its the same even if i use hotspoting or not
Some questions:
where did you knowed it ?? I look for several pages about how to install zip using recovery mode, dont remember the pages
In this situation ...is the N7 able to surf the web contestually ??Yes the nexus 7 can also surf web while sharing internet to other devices

paolocorpo

Jan 9, 2013
Sassoferrato
Yes my N7 has been akready rooted, rename, recovery, etc
I fllashed the zip of this MOD

It is already a strange matter because i tried the microsim in APPLE IPAD and i have been able to create and use an hotspot
I don't understand why i am not able to do the some thing with N7 :(

aagrlp640

Yes my N7 has been akready rooted, rename, recovery, etc
I fllashed the zip of this MOD

It is already a strange matter because i tried the microsim in APPLE IPAD and i have been able to create and use an hotspot
I don't understand why i am not able to do the some thing with N7 :(

You use enabletether-JOP40D o the other enabletether-JOP40C
I use enabletether-JOP40D, but i think that depends on your nexus 7 version

Oct 27, 2012
Tried installing this multiple times, always just got boot loops and had to use a backup... I'm using Sgt7 (4.2.1) with the 40D version. Why isn't it working?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE USE WITH CAUTION AND ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICKED DEVICES.

You may have noticed that the Nexus 7 3G does not have the tethering options enabled by default.

I couldn't live with that (that was partially the point why I got the 3G version), so have patched the framework to enable those options. Partial credits go to PaulOBrien@MoDaCo who has fixed the apktool for Android 4.2 .

To get it to work just flash the ZIP below. It will only work on the JOP40D and JOP40C releases, and obviously only if you have a 3G device. Please do not try it on the WiFi-only Nexus 7 :) .

Please note that it doesn't do a backup of the original framework-res.apk, so you can either make one yourself, or you can reflash the factory system image if you want to go back to stock later.

4.2.1 (JOP40D):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/oti37qsc265me8t/enabletether-JOP40D.zip

4.2 (JOP40C):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tswcvz50op8rfu/enabletether-JOP40C.zip
    I really would appreciate flashable zip to enable tethering for 4.3.:sly:
    Thanks in advance !

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Hi i just pulled the file decompressed it and it works for me i will aditionally put a small guide here:

after pulling framework-res.apk and decompiling modify the following lines in /res/values/arrays.xml

<array name="config_tether_usb_regexs" />
    <array name="config_tether_wifi_regexs" />
    <array name="config_tether_wimax_regexs" />
    <array name="config_tether_bluetooth_regexs" />
    <array name="config_tether_dhcp_range" />
    <array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app" />
    <array name="config_tether_upstream_types" />

to

<string-array name="config_tether_usb_regexs">
    <item>rndis\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <string-array name="config_tether_wifi_regexs">
    <item>wlan\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_wimax_regexs" />
    <string-array name="config_tether_bluetooth_regexs">
    <item>bnep\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_dhcp_range" />
    <array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app" />
    <integer-array name="config_tether_upstream_types">
    <item>0</item>
    <item>1</item>
    <item>5</item>
    <item>7</item>
    </integer-array>

recompile the framework-res.apk sign it and u are ready to go.

Here are the links for the stock framework and the tether mod:

Stock Framework 4.3
    Tether enabled

U can flash them with sideload and i recommend a cache wipe after it.

HF
    Hi Folks,

as far i could tell there are no diferences in the stock framework-res.apk but i think i fixed the bootloop error on first install and i made a new enable tether file for jwr66y anyways hf flashing.

Enable Tether jwr66y
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B94bfpTec3GpdWpjclNteGhOQmM/edit
    Successfully flashed this over 4.2.2
    Worked on first boot without problems. Currently tethering over wifi.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
    bootloop even with 3rd try :(

Try this version. It's works for Me.

8953c95366caf1e9ab6a9f50f7337f1e thether-JDQ39.zip

Flashed via TWRP without any problems, bootloops.