[TUTORIAL]How to make your own boot animations (with sound if you want)

Search This thread

despotovski01

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 1, 2011
Skopje
NOTE: This method is tested and it works on CM7 ROMs and AOSP ROMs. I don't guarantee that it will work for stock ROMs (The ROM that came with your device)!

Xperia X8 users with cm6 0.25-follow this guide: http://se-lifestyle.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=5947

Introducion
Hi guys!
Today, I'm going to teach you how to make your own boot animations. Please read this thread carefully to the end, in order to succeed in making your boot animation.

Requirements:
-A photo-editing program (GIMP and Photoshop are the best), which can save pictures in .png format
-A text editor (everyone has that)
-An archive-managing program (Power Archiver, WinZip), that is capable of making .zip archives

Tutorial:
1. Create part0 and part1 folders (in this folders, the frames of the boot animation are stored. Usually, there are only 2 parts in a boot animation, but you can add as many as you want. The frames in the part0 folder are usually repeated once, and the frames in part1 folder are usually looped several times, or infinite.)
2. Draw every frame of your boot animation manually (save every frame as you do it. Save the first one as 10001.png, the second one as 10002.png, and so on. Save them in the part0 and part1 folders - the frames in part0 folder will be showed only once, and the frames in part1 folder will be looped. But, you can change that if you want. Changing the looping property will be discussed in the following steps. WARNING: ALWAYS SAVE THE FRAMES IN .PNG OR .JPG FORMAT!)
3. Make a desc.txt file in the directory where the part0 and part1 folders are and edit it as following:
320 480 30
p 1 0 part0
p 0 0 part1
(The numbers 320 and 480 is the resolution of your boot animation. Change them as you want. The number 30 means the speed of the animation. Speed set to 30 is good for me. Then, the "p 1 0 part0" property means that the frames in part0 folder will be repeated once - you point that with the first number in the "p 1 0 part0" property, which in this case is 1. The second number is the delay between loops, and it's expressed in milliseconds (1000ms = 1s). I've set it to 0 because I don't want to be any delay between my loops (p 1 0 part0). And last, but not least, you set the folder with the folder name - in this case is part0. Then, you type the property for the part1 folder - that's "p 0 0 part1". The first "0" means that the folder will be looping infinite times, the second "0" means there's no delay between loops, and then we set the folder to part1. Note: if you have more folders, you'll have to write properties for them too! WARNING: DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE AN EMPTY LINE AT THE END OF THE DESC.TXT FILE!)
4. Compress the folders and the desc.txt file in a zip file (WARNING: MAKE SURE YOUR COMPRESSION METHOD IS STORE! OTHERWISE, THE BOOT ANIMATION WON'T WORK!)
5. Open your new boot animation and check the folders, if there are Thumbs.db files. If there are Thumbs.db files in your boot animation, delete them from the archive.
6. Install your boot animation on your device with one of the following methods:

Root Explorer method:
1. Rename your boot animation to bootanimation
2. Put it on your SD card
3. Open Root Explorer and copy bootanimation.zip to /system/media. This will replace the existing boot animation
4. Reboot your phone

ADB method:
1. Make sure you have downloaded android sdk
2. Put android sdk in C:\
3. Set the directory of command prompt to C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools. Click here for a video tutorial.
4. Rename your boot animation to bootanimation and put it in C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
5. Open cmd
6. Type in order:
-adb remount
-adb push bootanimation.zip /system/media/bootanimation.zip
-adb reboot

7. Enjoy your new boot animation!

Note: It's far easier to create and install boot animations with my program Boot Animation Factory. Oh, and you can preview them on your computer too!

How to add sound (all courtesy of colpophage)(UPDATED!!):

1. Download this shell script:
http://db.tt/HffJqg8P

2. Place bootsnd.sh in /sdcard

3. Run terminal emulator, and execute the following:
su
cd /sdcard
sh bootsnd.sh

4. Use a rooted file manager and navigate to /system/bin, and verify that there is now a file called bootsound there, and it has 777 (rwxrwxrwx) permissions. Modify the permissions to 777 if needed.

5. Place your desired sound file, renaming it android_audio.mp3, in /system/media.

5.1 For the original quietly brilliant sound, download: http://db.tt/Oy20ZqT (remember to rename it).

5.2 I now put custom boot animations into /system/media as well, and this is my favorite so far: http://db.tt/LMkqs3f (rename to just bootanimation.zip).

6. Reboot and enjoy.

Video tutorial:

Common mistakes that people make:
-Wrong compression method: you MUST set the compression method to Store!
-Missing empty line at the end of the desc.txt file: an empty line is needed! Otherwise, the boot animation won't work!
-Frames drawn in wrong color mode: you MUST draw your frames in RGB 8bit or RGB 16bit COLOR MODE!

Last edited:

despotovski01

Jan 1, 2011
Skopje
Some of my boot animations

Broken Glass---------------------------------Google Chrome---------------------------------Android Loading
brokenglass_bootanimation.gif
google_chrome_bootanimation.gif
30b28e67abba6c10241a1d392604e33220bc7a91b496bf574f5112c0660c6d155g.jpg

CyanogenMod Green---------------------------------Falling Droids---------------------------------Charging
3e1928e48d7a21d7a1793afabcf8bd9974b8a43d9fd11715a83497094608a1e75g.jpg
74f40195b9ef904ff38ab4210d823e8d741c698f360aaabf6620ce82625e1b966g.jpg
dc114826d6f328eae0062b9b1d48a694d9661f5db54b6e178c9c0fe81e64769c5g.jpg

Android & Apples
e1dc6154b80cb0b8131399d49a9142e5faae45246e40f320857523fcbb5c6b7c5g.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------
Downloads:
(Click the names to get the downloads)
Broken Glass
Google Chrome
Android Loading
CyanogenMod Green
Falling Droids
Charging
Android & Apples

Last edited:

despotovski01

Jan 1, 2011
Skopje
In SGS I on Darky 10.1 you don't have bootanimation.zip file in system/media, but we have bootsamsung.qmg and bootsamsungloop.qmg. Your tutorial will work with it?

I don't know. It's intended for CyanogenMod ROMs. It's proven to work on CM7 ROMs and on AOSP ROMs. Is your ROM based on the stock SGS ROM, or is it built from source?

Reactions: 8cpaiw

memburn

Sep 22, 2010
Very cool. There's a xda member created boot animation utility on the market that will make it easier to flash zips once created. I assume it would work.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA Premium App

Djidara

Mar 21, 2011
Vinkovci
my bootanimation.zip is located in /data/local
i have optimus one with LOL rom and MIUI theme.
so i guess i need to put new bootanimation.zip there.

jsmccabe78

May 16, 2008
thanks for explaining everything; very nice.

for some time i have been unsuccessful. i feel it is how i am making my pngs. (as i actually flash my zip via cwm and it works for well-established boot animations, but not mine.)

all i get with my creation is a black screen. is there a trick? need to save it a certain way (beyond keeping it a png)? thanks! i use ps and paintnet...

additionally, just an fyi - the bootanimation that comes standard (with the white android guy) are jpgs...

Last edited:

despotovski01

Jan 1, 2011
Skopje
thanks for explaining everything; very nice.

for some time i have been unsuccessful. i feel it is how i am making my pngs. (as i actually flash my zip via cwm and it works for well-established boot animations, but not mine.)

all i get with my creation is a black screen. is there a trick? need to save it a certain way (beyond keeping it a png)? thanks! i use ps and paintnet...

additionally, just an fyi - the bootanimation that comes standard (with the white android guy) are jpgs...

When you zipped your boot animation, did you use compression method "Store"? That may be the problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: This method is tested and it works on CM7 ROMs and AOSP ROMs. I don't guarantee that it will work for stock ROMs (The ROM that came with your device)!

Xperia X8 users with cm6 0.25-follow this guide: http://se-lifestyle.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=5947

Introducion
    Hi guys!
    Today, I'm going to teach you how to make your own boot animations. Please read this thread carefully to the end, in order to succeed in making your boot animation.

Requirements:
    -A photo-editing program (GIMP and Photoshop are the best), which can save pictures in .png format
    -A text editor (everyone has that)
    -An archive-managing program (Power Archiver, WinZip), that is capable of making .zip archives

Tutorial:
    1. Create part0 and part1 folders (in this folders, the frames of the boot animation are stored. Usually, there are only 2 parts in a boot animation, but you can add as many as you want. The frames in the part0 folder are usually repeated once, and the frames in part1 folder are usually looped several times, or infinite.)
    2. Draw every frame of your boot animation manually (save every frame as you do it. Save the first one as 10001.png, the second one as 10002.png, and so on. Save them in the part0 and part1 folders - the frames in part0 folder will be showed only once, and the frames in part1 folder will be looped. But, you can change that if you want. Changing the looping property will be discussed in the following steps. WARNING: ALWAYS SAVE THE FRAMES IN .PNG OR .JPG FORMAT!)
    3. Make a desc.txt file in the directory where the part0 and part1 folders are and edit it as following:
    320 480 30
    p 1 0 part0
    p 0 0 part1
    (The numbers 320 and 480 is the resolution of your boot animation. Change them as you want. The number 30 means the speed of the animation. Speed set to 30 is good for me. Then, the "p 1 0 part0" property means that the frames in part0 folder will be repeated once - you point that with the first number in the "p 1 0 part0" property, which in this case is 1. The second number is the delay between loops, and it's expressed in milliseconds (1000ms = 1s). I've set it to 0 because I don't want to be any delay between my loops (p 1 0 part0). And last, but not least, you set the folder with the folder name - in this case is part0. Then, you type the property for the part1 folder - that's "p 0 0 part1". The first "0" means that the folder will be looping infinite times, the second "0" means there's no delay between loops, and then we set the folder to part1. Note: if you have more folders, you'll have to write properties for them too! WARNING: DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE AN EMPTY LINE AT THE END OF THE DESC.TXT FILE!)
    4. Compress the folders and the desc.txt file in a zip file (WARNING: MAKE SURE YOUR COMPRESSION METHOD IS STORE! OTHERWISE, THE BOOT ANIMATION WON'T WORK!)
    5. Open your new boot animation and check the folders, if there are Thumbs.db files. If there are Thumbs.db files in your boot animation, delete them from the archive.
    6. Install your boot animation on your device with one of the following methods:

Root Explorer method:
    1. Rename your boot animation to bootanimation
    2. Put it on your SD card
    3. Open Root Explorer and copy bootanimation.zip to /system/media. This will replace the existing boot animation
    4. Reboot your phone

ADB method:
    1. Make sure you have downloaded android sdk
    2. Put android sdk in C:\
    3. Set the directory of command prompt to C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools. Click here for a video tutorial.
    4. Rename your boot animation to bootanimation and put it in C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
    5. Open cmd
    6. Type in order:
    -adb remount
    -adb push bootanimation.zip /system/media/bootanimation.zip
    -adb reboot

7. Enjoy your new boot animation!

Note: It's far easier to create and install boot animations with my program Boot Animation Factory. Oh, and you can preview them on your computer too!

How to add sound (all courtesy of colpophage)(UPDATED!!):

1. Download this shell script:
    http://db.tt/HffJqg8P

2. Place bootsnd.sh in /sdcard

3. Run terminal emulator, and execute the following:
    su
    cd /sdcard
    sh bootsnd.sh

4. Use a rooted file manager and navigate to /system/bin, and verify that there is now a file called bootsound there, and it has 777 (rwxrwxrwx) permissions. Modify the permissions to 777 if needed.

5. Place your desired sound file, renaming it android_audio.mp3, in /system/media.

5.1 For the original quietly brilliant sound, download: http://db.tt/Oy20ZqT (remember to rename it).

5.2 I now put custom boot animations into /system/media as well, and this is my favorite so far: http://db.tt/LMkqs3f (rename to just bootanimation.zip).

6. Reboot and enjoy.

Video tutorial:

Common mistakes that people make:
    -Wrong compression method: you MUST set the compression method to Store!
    -Missing empty line at the end of the desc.txt file: an empty line is needed! Otherwise, the boot animation won't work!
    -Frames drawn in wrong color mode: you MUST draw your frames in RGB 8bit or RGB 16bit COLOR MODE!
    Some of my boot animations

Broken Glass---------------------------------Google Chrome---------------------------------Android Loading
    brokenglass_bootanimation.gif
    google_chrome_bootanimation.gif
    30b28e67abba6c10241a1d392604e33220bc7a91b496bf574f5112c0660c6d155g.jpg

CyanogenMod Green---------------------------------Falling Droids---------------------------------Charging
    3e1928e48d7a21d7a1793afabcf8bd9974b8a43d9fd11715a83497094608a1e75g.jpg
    74f40195b9ef904ff38ab4210d823e8d741c698f360aaabf6620ce82625e1b966g.jpg
    dc114826d6f328eae0062b9b1d48a694d9661f5db54b6e178c9c0fe81e64769c5g.jpg

Android & Apples
    e1dc6154b80cb0b8131399d49a9142e5faae45246e40f320857523fcbb5c6b7c5g.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Downloads:
    (Click the names to get the downloads)
    Broken Glass
    Google Chrome
    Android Loading
    CyanogenMod Green
    Falling Droids
    Charging
    Android & Apples
    How do I set winzip to store can find the option?

Sent from my Inspire 4G using xda premium

I don't use WinZip, so I don't know how to do it. There must be an option. If you have difficulties zipping your animation and creating the desc.txt file, you can try my program Boot Animation Creator.
    In SGS I on Darky 10.1 you don't have bootanimation.zip file in system/media, but we have bootsamsung.qmg and bootsamsungloop.qmg. Your tutorial will work with it?

I think this tutorial won't work, because Darky 10.1 ROM is based on the stock SGS Gingerbread ROM.
    man do you know a easier way to rename over 300 photos...can u make a program for that...LOL

I use a program called Faststone photo resizer. It has a few cool features including batch rename.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App