[Q] JunoWallet - Can't Uninstall Running Process

Search This thread

KLancelot

Aug 18, 2013
I made the mistake of installing an app called JunoWallet. Although it's in the Play Store, it's apparently a scam. I'm somewhat new to Android (about 6 months) and by performing small tasks on this app, you can try to earn money toward gift cards. I don't know what I was thinking installing this app. I checked the ratings but they're apparently all fake reviews.

Anyways, I installed onto both my Nexus 7 and Nexus 5. After checking how much battery life it was using (A LOT!), I uninstalled the app on both devices. On the Nexus 7, it uninstalled fine and after a reboot, left no traces.

On the Nexus 5, it seemed to uninstall cleanly but after several reboots, the process com.junobe.android.junowallet is still using approximately 5% of my Nexus 5's battery life. I've tried reinstalling and uninstalling again and then rebooting but the process remains.

On the Nexus 7, there's no such process still left running. I'm running 4.4.2 on both devices. The only thing I can think to do is to clean install 4.4.2 onto the Nexus 5 and re-root again and re-install all the apps again. This would take hours and wonder if there's a way to kill a specific process and then uninstall it completely.

I am rooted but I'm not well versed with command line or the inner workings of Android. Perhaps there's an uninstaller or a way to kill and remove specific processes?

Thanks for the help!

Knight-Rider

Feb 28, 2013
I made the mistake of installing an app called JunoWallet. Although it's in the Play Store, it's apparently a scam. I'm somewhat new to Android (about 6 months) and by performing small tasks on this app, you can try to earn money toward gift cards. I don't know what I was thinking installing this app. I checked the ratings but they're apparently all fake reviews.

Anyways, I installed onto both my Nexus 7 and Nexus 5. After checking how much battery life it was using (A LOT!), I uninstalled the app on both devices. On the Nexus 7, it uninstalled fine and after a reboot, left no traces.

On the Nexus 5, it seemed to uninstall cleanly but after several reboots, the process com.junobe.android.junowallet is still using approximately 5% of my Nexus 5's battery life. I've tried reinstalling and uninstalling again and then rebooting but the process remains.

On the Nexus 7, there's no such process still left running. I'm running 4.4.2 on both devices. The only thing I can think to do is to clean install 4.4.2 onto the Nexus 5 and re-root again and re-install all the apps again. This would take hours and wonder if there's a way to kill a specific process and then uninstall it completely.

I am rooted but I'm not well versed with command line or the inner workings of Android. Perhaps there's an uninstaller or a way to kill and remove specific processes?

Thanks for the help!

I would than suggest you wipe your device and start fresh if nothing else works.

helioXverse

Aug 21, 2010
Danville
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8T
I agree w knight, software like that (either on PC or android, in this case) tends to try and embed itself. If you are rooted, I would:
make a nandroid backup via your recovery of choice(just in case, bc having a backup never hurts)
Copy all data on internal storage to a PC
Wipe system, Data, caches, internal storage x2 just to be sure
And reinstall your ROM of choice.

Formatting storage may not be needed, but I know I keep a lot of personal info (banking, work info and such) on my device so I would make totally sure that bad software didn't try and leave any nasty traces.
At the very least, wipe system, data and caches then reinstall your ROM.

*Edit* also, some apps like titanium backup and some file explorers let you force remove apps and their associated files. Maybe look into one of those before totally wiping.

Good luck and best wishes man, that seems like a wretched app/malware (IMO)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

KLancelot

Aug 18, 2013
Thanks for the replies. It's a little different for me coming from the curated garden of the iOS App Store to the Play Store, which is not really as regulated for malware. The app was scanned by Avast before I installed it but I guess that wasn't enough.

Using an app just called Uninstaller on the Play Store, I re-installed the JunoWallet app and then uninstalled the JunoWallet app. It removed the process and I rebooted.

I don't bank on mobile but do check social media on it. I guess I cannot be too safe and will have to set aside some time to wipe the Nexus 5 and reinstall a fresh copy of Android. It's a shame to waste that many hours on such a task... :(

Thanks for the help though!