For Z1 Compact owners: any regrets?

Search This thread

vetko

Sep 6, 2012
Planning to buy Z1C soon...

Hi,

I was just wondering, that does it worth waiting a little bit more after some magical sony response (or hardware fix possibly) for 2 another weeks, or can I buy it right away?

I definitly need a good waterproof phone with good camera, good battery life and performance, with a relatively small size. Z1c would be a perfect candidate.. except some downsides (camera flash bleed - can be solved with a pen... - other than that I am really counting on the picture quality improvemements by future sw updates; scratchy ASF/plastic back - can be solved by protectors). Is there any chance that in the following 2-3 weeks sony will fix some of the hardware problems? I need to have a good phone at the start of April as a camera and GPS companion for my trips.

Thank you :)

Rototti

Sep 7, 2012
According to this: link, Sony will not fix this issue officially. But who knows what will happen in the background.

toxic_garden

just two minor things that really annoy me. But it's still an awesome phone, so no, not "regretting" anything.

- Wifi transfer rate drops after ~30 seconds. No matter if copy from or to the phone, after a short time, the transfer rate goes from 2 MiB/s to 500-600 kib/s. Couldn't find the weak point up to now.

- ASF on the front. It's a dust and fingerprint magnet. I'm thinking of removing it the next days because the glass beneath it is really scratch resistant.

As i barely use the flash light for taking pictures, i'm not really mad about the bleed. Pictures in the dark with manual mode and ISO 3200 look pretty fine and daylight pictures are sometimes a way oversharpened, but still pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: maajstor

thermalboyz

May 1, 2008
NoWhere
just two minor things that really annoy me. But it's still an awesome phone, so no, not "regretting" anything.

- Wifi transfer rate drops aber ~30 seconds. No matter if copy from or to the phone, after a short time, the transfer rate goes from 2 MiB/s to 500-600 kib/s. Couldn't find the weak point up to now.

- ASF on the front. It's a dust and fingerprint magnet. I'm thinking of removing it the next days because the glass beneath it is really scratch resistant.

As i barely use the flash light for taking pictures, i'm not really mad about the bleed. Pictures in the dark with manual mode and ISO 3200 look pretty fine and daylight pictures are sometimes a way oversharpened, but still pretty good.

Pls report after ASF Removed, some pics much appreciated.

ranova

Jul 19, 2010
just got it today.

I shouldve read more into it before buying. Some of my buyer's remorse:
- Doesn't have all the 3 LTE bands for AT&T US - I wont get LTE in places my HTC One had
- Camera is really subpar for how much it is touted. My HTC One had better low light, OIS, and overall better pictures
- Plastic backing, Sony touted that this was glass on both sides, but its really plastic on the back

I am really debating on reselling this and getting the new HTC One. I LOVE the size, the speed, and that its waterproof.

slonn

Nov 6, 2010
Haptic feedback works on and off. It's a bug carried over from Z1. Minor issue but nevertheless shouldn't appear on an expensive phone. Instead of regurgitating new phones every 6 months Sony should concentrate on fixing the existing issues first.

--
Sendt fra Z1C

micropizza

May 25, 2012
London
Love this phone, I had the non-compact to start with and it was just too big for me, this is perfect.

Only thing I don't like is Sony seems to have lost interest in it now and are working on firmware / apps etc for the Z2 now, so will probably take ages for any updates if you don't want to root the phone (my banking app refuses to run if the phones rooted).

Apparently this Z1 Compact is capable of the 120fps video most other phones including the Z2 are going to have, there's bugs in the firmware like answer-to-speakerphone and there was a pretty serious memory bug on the normal Z1 before I sold it too, that stopped apps running in the background, but Sony have their Z2 coming out now, so they've lost interest in this, good luck seeing any updates any time soon.

arunsankar

Nov 17, 2011
Kochi
My Z1 compact is in for a replacement for non-working "vibration". Service centre guys confirmed it's not a software issue. Now waiting for another black Z1 compact to come. Really frustrating to give back phone to service centre within a week of purchase :(

crazyscow

Jun 4, 2011
I moved from a Galaxy Nexus to the z1c and love it in every way.

the only problems is i need to get use to how to root this thing because im scared imma loose my drm files. need to read more about it. also it has a lot of bloatware like facebook etc. once i figure out how to root this ill freeze this stuff.

but after two days of use i still have 30% battery life and 4 hrs of screentime. my gnex only did 1h 30min before the battery was dead.

hol17

Sep 16, 2009
Edmonton
I moved from a Galaxy Nexus to the z1c and love it in every way.

the only problems is i need to get use to how to root this thing because im scared imma loose my drm files. need to read more about it. also it has a lot of bloatware like facebook etc. once i figure out how to root this ill freeze this stuff.

but after two days of use i still have 30% battery life and 4 hrs of screentime. my gnex only did 1h 30min before the battery was dead.

The rooting process can take some time but you only lose the DRM keys if you unlock the bootloader. Rooting won't cause the DRM key loss and you can back them up after you root. If you do root, just follow the guides slowly and you should be fine :)

For the bloatware, you can access the application through Settings >> Apps, scroll over to "All" and press "Disable" at the top. Did this for quite a few Sony apps that I do not use.

Sent from my Z1 Compact

crazyscow

Jun 4, 2011
Awesome thanks for the info! ya i just need to read carefully :D i hope i dont hijack this thread but just one more question. is there a way to disable the xperia keyboard from going to fullscreen in landscape mode? i saw an option on the chinese keyboard options but not on the normal one.

so i dont get too much off topic this is one thing i miss from my AOSP phone :p

Reactions: Zebi2

Lasantha

Jun 27, 2011
Love this phone, I had the non-compact to start with and it was just too big for me, this is perfect.

Only thing I don't like is Sony seems to have lost interest in it now and are working on firmware / apps etc for the Z2 now, so will probably take ages for any updates if you don't want to root the phone (my banking app refuses to run if the phones rooted).

Apparently this Z1 Compact is capable of the 120fps video most other phones including the Z2 are going to have, there's bugs in the firmware like answer-to-speakerphone and there was a pretty serious memory bug on the normal Z1 before I sold it too, that stopped apps running in the background, but Sony have their Z2 coming out now, so they've lost interest in this, good luck seeing any updates any time soon.

Use root cloak to hide root to banking app

Sent from my Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: micropizza

bilboa1

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 16, 2010
i'd say the picture quality is the let down of the phone, mainly because it makes you think its one thing its going to do better than most, while it does slightly worst than most ;)

nirurin

Nov 25, 2012
Bristol
i'd say the picture quality is the let down of the phone, mainly because it makes you think its one thing its going to do better than most, while it does slightly worst than most ;)

Are you talking screen quality, or the camera?

The screen quality is good, very good. Yeh true its only a 720p screen, but for the size its more than enough, and is exactly as advertised...

The photo quality is... dependant. Some people seem to have issues when using the flash in a pitch black room (but if you need a photo in this situation you wouldnt be using a phone anyway), but the daytime/normal photography seems to be pretty damn good so far, but I havent managed to thoroughly test it yet.

Ive only had the phone for the last 3 days, but no regrets as of yet. I rooted with AurRom, and the battery life has been beyond excellent. The only thing I need to test more is the camera.

lamenramen

Jul 19, 2011
The volume buttons and the power button are sandwiched together and it's unnatural to hold. I actually think that the ergonomics of the phone are quite poor. I haven't figured out why yet, but I use my phones one-handed and my hand and pinky feel sore (coming from an iPHone 5). The Z1 c is too square, and feels bigger than a 4.3" phone needs to feel. I'm still shifting my hand around to manuever to the notification bar on the Z1c, just like I would on a much larger phone. I totally did not expect this. I should give it a week or two before I pass judgement. But I was really looking forward to one-handed use. Again, it can be done, but the one-handed use does not seem drastically diff from an htc one. The HTC One, actually feels better to hold and has the same width as the Z1C.

I actually did not know that ergonomics matter that much.

The only other letdown is the camera. It's really a subpar camera, and I had heard that it's the best one on an Android phone . Definitely not from what I've seen (in full auto mode). It is not even close to what my iPhone 5 produces.

But battery life, build quality, waterproofness, speed, reception, screen, and audio are all top notch. The firmware will need cyanogenmod or something third party, but that's to be expected.

Last edited:

bilboa1

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 16, 2010
Are you talking screen quality, or the camera?

The screen quality is good, very good. Yeh true its only a 720p screen, but for the size its more than enough, and is exactly as advertised...

The photo quality is... dependant. Some people seem to have issues when using the flash in a pitch black room (but if you need a photo in this situation you wouldnt be using a phone anyway), but the daytime/normal photography seems to be pretty damn good so far, but I havent managed to thoroughly test it yet.

Ive only had the phone for the last 3 days, but no regrets as of yet. I rooted with AurRom, and the battery life has been beyond excellent. The only thing I need to test more is the camera.

camera. look at the pictures on a bigger screen than the phone, tho. on 4" everything looks ok :)

KL643

May 28, 2009
@40000ft
I've owned an Xperia S,Nexus4, S4 and HTC One the last year and now the Xperia Z1C. The S4 I liked the most when I compare the bigger phones but for me they were all to big for me. I wanted a phone which I could handle with one hand and still got highend hardware...so there's only one option, the Z1C. For me it's a great phone, size is perfect so is the design. Even with Android 4.3 it feels realy snappy. Sure, an update to Kitkat would be nice but I don't think the difference will be huge. So far no regrets buying this phone :)

Nos0x

Apr 25, 2006
Staffs
I'm liking my Z1C so far. Only issues I've had are the poor sound quality from the headphone jack (which is a shame as my Z had pretty good sound quality). The camera is hit and miss in terms of picture quality, it's very poor in low light situations and the proximity sensor seems to take a while to activate the screen when taking the phone away from your ear after making a call.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would not recommend buying a Z1c at the moment, not until it is seen if Sony bother to fix issues in the phone software. Unless you are happy to unlock + root, then go ahead.
    The stock Sony software has so many quirks at the moment its driving me nuts!

• calls answer to speaker phone sometimes
    • sound enhancements/ equalizer only works for walkman app
    • fast dormancy is broken, causes high battery drain
    • "superior auto" on the camera is a disaster in low light/ flash photo
    • Some intermittent weirdness with notifications and LED caused by stamina mode
    • volume randomly reducing itself and volume warning sporadically appearing
    • Some compatibility issues with 3rd party browsers
    • proximity sensor issue: 1-2 second delay in screen switching back on if it was switched off by proximity sensor. i.e when you make/receive a call, you have to wait to hang-up the call. minor inconvenience really.

And as already mentioned, the plastic ASF on front and back glass is very, very delicate. Leave the phone wrapped in cotton wool until you have protectors on front and back!

oh, and buy a dock or magnetic charging cable too, otherwise the USB flap comes loose (mine has after 3 weeks)
    • calls answer to speaker phone sometimes <-- This is an issue with chrome browser not Xperia Z1 Compact.
    • sound enhancements/ equalizer only works for walkman app <-- Well the equalizer was polished for walkman. This is the same even on my HTC One except for beats audio at least.
    • fast dormancy is broken, causes high battery drain <-- It's not broken it's on by default unlike other devices which is off by default and just customized by network operators or depending on variant. Fast dormancy would really kill your battery if it's on and your network provider doesn't support it as it will keep on enforcing fast dormancy even if it's not available.
    • "superior auto" on the camera is a disaster in low light/ flash photo <-- Ok for a smartphone camera though... It's meant for average users for average results. Hence why manual mode is added. If superior auto was the best of everything then what would be the use of manual mode then.
    • Some intermittent weirdness with notifications and LED caused by stamina mode <-- Well stamina mode is stamina mode. It's doing its job. I would have been disappointed if it can't control system apps though... Android is all about customization. Would defeat the purpose if we can't control system apps here. If you want it to work with stamina mode then add it on the whitelist.
    • volume randomly reducing itself and volume warning sporadically appearing <-- Never encountered this yet.
    • Some compatibility issues with 3rd party browsers <-- Like? Been using Opera and firefox here since I disabled chrome because of the first issue you mentioned.
    • ???
    Where I come from there's a saying "every Gipsy praises his horse".
    Having that in mind, I'm asking you, Xperia Z1 Compact owners, to reply here honestly, if you have any regrets and remorses for buying this phone.

It's a serious money for me, and I plan to have my next phone for at least next two years (I've had Motorola Atrix for three years), so please, serious answers only.
    I have regrets buying it at launch lol! In my country right now the phone had dropped it's price for like almost 1/4 already. Could have saved some money if only I had waited a week or so.
    Honestly for the Specs and Size. Its a "YES" for me. I had HTC One X for 2 years but the thing I don't like is the Battery life. Was thinking about Nexus 5 or Moto X which has very similar specs but i go for the "size", "battery" and IP57.

Z1C last me average 2.5 Days with 4 hrs screen time. (For normal usage)

Regrets on Z1C was only the screen had ASF (Thin layer of film to prevent glass shutter) which easily get scratch. (Solution - Get a good screen protector, prefer a Glass with 9H)

Liking - Battery, Water Resistant, Power, SD Card Slot, Camera and a slick design.

Not talking about the software side but I read that Sony quite reliable on updating their software + Firmware. Currently on 4.3 and likely to get 4.4 kitkat (Hopefully the battery will get better then).

Hope this helps!