Blank SMS from "Δ@" ?!?

Search This thread

maaz_talha

Jan 1, 2009
I've recently received two blank texts, the author of which is simply "Δ@", following which I promptly restarted my blackstone.

this isnt the first time i've received such a text. A little concerned, since I
read that receiving a blank text from dodgy places means someone might be
trying to hack into your phone.

Has anyone ever received similar texts before? Any advice / help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Maaz

Jason1978

Apr 9, 2006
Warrington
I've recently received two blank texts, the author of which is simply "Δ@", following which I promptly restarted my blackstone.

this isnt the first time i've received such a text. A little concerned, since I
read that receiving a blank text from dodgy places means someone might be
trying to hack into your phone.

Has anyone ever received similar texts before? Any advice / help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Maaz

Have you checked your Voicemail, if I remember correctly, I had this and it is your Voicemail. I think the way the voicemail icon is activated on phones is via the SMS protocol, and your phone should not show you an SMS message like that, but intercept it and show you your voicemail icon.

If you have a voicemail, read and delete it and you will probably get another text message, which is similar, to instruct the phone to delete the voicemail icon, again you shouldn't see this normally.

I am sure there is a patch to sort this out, but I haven't had any problems like this for ages, so maybe update to a newer ROM and see if it goes away.

Jason

maaz_talha

Jan 1, 2009
Thanks Jason

I'll look out for voicemail in the future :) i think i did have some at the time.

However, I keep getting told I have voicemail waiting to be read when I don't actually have any, so its a little difficult (and annoying) determining whether I actually have voicemail or not.

As for my ROM, im using NRGZ28's latest ROM released in late December :s

Maybe its an Orange thing?

Jason1978

Apr 9, 2006
Warrington
Maybe its an Orange thing?

If I recall I was on Orange in the UK at the time, so I am not sure if different networks use different ways of forcing the icon to appear, and your phone does not support it. I would of thought it was something to do with the software, so the ROM is likely to be the problem, but I dont know for sure...

As I moved network, I cannot give any definites on whether my ROM would work for you either... You have not indicated your country, maybe if you advise, another person may be able to give you some assistance against that particular ROM.

Jason

EyeBees

Dec 1, 2008
South West
I am on orange UK

I have a HTC Tytn with 6.5 (23060)
The Tytn gets the SMS strange symbols when I get Voice message

My HTC HD phone on Orange has Miri 6.5 (21876) V13
Voice messge icon works OK on this

so I would think it maybe win 6.5.3 / Orange problem

Last edited:

crankshaft

Jan 13, 2007
Google Pixel 6
You should try calling your phone and leaving a voice message. Orange have a strange issue that I've helped people on xda with before in that if you hang up to soon after deleting voicemail the voicemail icon doesn't disappear. It could be that your phone isn't translating the sms that's sent to display the voicemail icon properly and the sms keeps being sent to you cos Orange thinks you've still got one.

1. Call yourself and leave a voicemail
2. Call you voicemail from your phone and listen to the message
3. Delete the message (option 3 I think) but wait about 5 seconds before hanging up

If you then stop recieving the sms and you're no longer told you got voicemail then great.

4. Leave yourself another message and see if you get the proper icon or a strange text

If you get the strange text then you'll need to do some research into it. I used to get it when I had a Prophet on Orange so take a look in that forum as there was a fix for it.