[Q] How to filter/block ads

Search This thread

the gladiator

Dec 16, 2010
Is there a way to filter or block ads in the apps ? In android is possible to mod a hosts file through apps such as AdAway or AdFree; has WP8 something similar ?

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
You can edit the HOSTS file with an interop-unlocked phone. There's no current way to do it on a phone without interop-unlock, though.

BlackSilverGT

Jun 17, 2014
Verona
Eye to change the host file First, as gooddaytodie says you need to interop and then enable full access to get full access to system folders. .. I have tried to edit the file to remove the ads from app but then I found myself with 3g and wifi not working.. So I thought I'd put the original file but are no longer able to replace it because Microsoft protected.. I had to Flash the full partition. Informed well before modifying it

winphoneuser

Jan 31, 2014
Ekaterinburg
It`s not the way with Windows Phone 8, but anyway. I`m using my router Netgear router to block the ads. Of cource it will work only when you`re connected to your Wi-Fi spot (or LAN with PC, Laptop or any other Ethernet-compatible thing).

the gladiator

Dec 16, 2010
I appreciate the information you gave me (and to the forum). A big thanks to GoodDayToDie who gave some hope and a "grosso grazie" to BlackSilverGT for the heads-up.

GoodDayToDie, could you please elaborate a bit your answer in order to avoid what happened to BlackSilverGT ? The alternative would the work-around suggested by winphoneuser :D:D:D

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
I have no explanation for what happened to @BlackSilverGT, so I can't promise how to avoid it. I used an app which moves files via CRpcComponent (rather than using the full access via MTP hack) but I have modified the HOSTS file that way, and it works. Maybe the problem was the *particular* modifications you made? I wasn't trying to block ads or anything like that, just intercepting traffic from an app. The tool I wrote for the purpose was a one-off and I seem to have deleted it, but I have a more general-purpose file editing utility under development.

Reactions: the gladiator

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have no explanation for what happened to @BlackSilverGT, so I can't promise how to avoid it. I used an app which moves files via CRpcComponent (rather than using the full access via MTP hack) but I have modified the HOSTS file that way, and it works. Maybe the problem was the *particular* modifications you made? I wasn't trying to block ads or anything like that, just intercepting traffic from an app. The tool I wrote for the purpose was a one-off and I seem to have deleted it, but I have a more general-purpose file editing utility under development.