[GPL] epicBT - Call Audio Router ( Epic4G ) - bluetooth/wired conflict hotfix - 11/26

Search This thread

cicada

Nov 7, 2009
Denver, CO
Sorry sinman02, the volume stuff is happening in the same code that's choosing the incorrect audio device for output.

I'm hoping that Samsung releases the source for their audio management code along with 2.2, but if not the Cyanogen Mod team is pretty close to getting open-source galaxy S audio working. Either will allow me to patch the audio code to handle device selection properly among other fixes. So, waiting on that for the moment.

y2bangali

Oct 25, 2010
New York City
okay so let me get this right.. I can finally talk on the phone while i'm driving with my aux cable plugged in to my phone?!? honestly its so annoying to take out my aux cable to pick up or make phone calls everytime..

sinman02

Nov 4, 2008
Sorry sinman02, the volume stuff is happening in the same code that's choosing the incorrect audio device for output.

I'm hoping that Samsung releases the source for their audio management code along with 2.2, but if not the Cyanogen Mod team is pretty close to getting open-source galaxy S audio working. Either will allow me to patch the audio code to handle device selection properly among other fixes. So, waiting on that for the moment.

Gotcha...thanks for the update...fyi, donation made!.... please keep up the good work!

Last edited:

cicada

Nov 7, 2009
Denver, CO
Will this work or be needed when 2.2 comes out? Just curious...

Yes for now until I or another dev figures out how to modify the routing properly without resorting to this workaround.

The bug still exists in the Froyo builds we've had leaked, I can't say anything for the official build as it's not out yet, but my guess is that it will still be broken.

bryanfritz1

Mar 23, 2009
Sycamore
I answered a call via speakerphone the other day patched into a two channel cassette adapter on my phone and it routed audio thru the adapter and picked up my voice via the speaker phone, it was awesome. I'm running quantum rom 1.5 with dk17 modem

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

derrickmd18

Feb 27, 2008
this is broken on froyo 28. is there going to be a fix for this? it freezes the phone when pushing apply button.

derrickmd18

Feb 27, 2008
It's installed and still doing it. I have 28 and it does it. With 17 it doesn't and with 2.1 it doesn't. I have quitum rom if it matters.

biscojams

Oct 1, 2010
This issue has been resolved on every dk28 rom ive tried. I didnt have to install this or tweak anything , it just wotks as it should. Not sure how some are having problems

m5james

Aug 27, 2010
I had to format my phone and started from scratch(unrelated to this hotfix), so now I'm back to a basic DI17 installation, no custom ROM or kernal, just rooted. I've tried 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5...each one just hangs for a second, then the screen goes black, key stay lit and the phone freezes forcing a battery pull. I had no problem w/ it while using Syndicate, but it doesn't seem to like running on a stock ROM. Any suggestions on things I can try to help remedy this?

zman519

Oct 27, 2010
the Land of Beer & Cheese
Its there any way to use the phones speaker and microphone with the 3.5mm jack plugged in? (NOT the Speaker phone mode) i want to hold the phone up to my head & talk:confused:

Thanks for all your work on this:) But i really cant be-leave that with all the talk about cell phones and driving samsung has not fixed this i mean isn't the Epic A PHONE first and foremost? WTF:mad:

m5james

Aug 27, 2010
Seeing that the power connection is on the top of the phone, I unplug it when a phone call comes in because it's awkward enough, why would you want to be able to use the phone a normal way and still have a 3.5mm headphone jack plugged in at the same time?

This is a BT inconvenience/safety issue fix, so maybe you should consider keeping both hands on the wheel and getting a bluetooth instead.

zman519

Oct 27, 2010
the Land of Beer & Cheese
Seeing that the power connection is on the top of the phone, I unplug it when a phone call comes in because it's awkward enough, why would you want to be able to use the phone a normal way and still have a 3.5mm headphone jack plugged in at the same time?

This is a BT inconvenience/safety issue fix, so maybe you should consider keeping both hands on the wheel and getting a bluetooth instead.

To me it just seems like that's the only opinion that's missing:confused:

Its not just for driving:rolleyes: I can think of many times i want the phone to work like that. I use the phone to play music all the time plugged into different things NOT just my cars line-in. (ya if it was going to be a longer call i would end up pulling the plug out)

Any recriminations on a BT that will not pick up wind noise? Every one i have tried sucked & was pointless in my car although i admit i have not tried any thing that has came out in the last 18~20 mouths. I would buy one if i new the thing was going to work with the windows down going 80~90 mph (convertible, jeep etc.)

BTW i drive stick so i don't have both hands on the wheel most of the time phone or no phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This application is a hotfix for a really annoying (and potentially unsafe!) bug in the Epic4G:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=11372
    http://forum.sdx-developers.com/epi...audio-routing-on-epic-4g/msg115990/#msg115990

The long and sort of it is that when anything is plugged into the 3.5mm headphone jack, the phone will only play call audio over that jack.

In order to route the audio through the earpiece, bluetooth or speakerphone, you must pull the plug out of the jack. This is at the very least annoying, and at the very worst potentially dangerous if, for example, you're driving.

How-To

Download the APK attached below for your android version.
    Install like any other APK using adb or your favorite file manager.

What it does

This simple application allows you to pick the audio device to use for call audio to override this behavior, and can be changed on the fly.

All in-call audio will be routed to the device you specify when something is plugged into the 3.5mm headphone jack. If nothing is in the jack, the default behavior for the phone applies.

This also allows you to use the Speaker Phone when the headphone jack is occupied, even though the button on the call screen is disabled!

Your configuration should persist between reboots.

What it doesn't do

This app does not route any other type of audio. Your music, notifications, etc will still play over the headphone jack or phone speaker.

Again, this *only* affects in-call voice audio, and only when something is plugged into the headphone jack.

Notes

This app completely overrides the options on the call page! If you want to switch outputs during a call, you will have to do it from this app - your call will not be dropped when changing the output device.

In order to route the call audio properly, the system's mediaserver service must be restarted, however.

This means that any other audio you have playing when you apply the change will be disrupted, and related services may force close. For example, Pandora will skip to the next song. Other applications may not behave that well.

Disclaimer

This app modifies files in the /system partition, so use this at your own risk! I am not responsible for any problems that arise from this hotfix on your device!

This is currently for the EPIC4G *ONLY* - Do not use this on any other device. Please contact me if you have a different phone which experiences this bug and I will see if I can get it working for you as well.

This is *BETA* software, a work in progress, please post here if you experience any issues, but I cannot guarantee it will work for you!

ROM DEVs, feel free to bake this into your roms in whole or part, I encourage it as this provides a workaround for a safety issue, but please give credit if you use or derive from this application.

Special thanks to UberPinguin - his initiative, debugging, code-diving and testing helped make this happen every step of the way!

Many, many thanks to everyone in #samsung-epic for helping me test and work this out.

Be sure to download the APK for the right android version on your phone!

epicBT - v0.3.5 (Froyo)
    * Fixed crash/reboot when applying settings in DK17 roms

epicBT - v0.3
    * Layout cleanup when root is unavailable

epicBT - v0.2
    * Requires root!
    * Superuser compatible
    * auto-remounts /system RW if necessary
    * Sends call audio to wired device ( default ), speaker phone, or bluetooth

Sources
    https://github.com/cicada/epicBT
    updated OP with source link
    Works perfect on ec05.... used with bonsai and superheroes[bonsai based]. It doesn't allow u to hit the bluetooth button from the in call screen but it works automatically. Awesome fix

Any word on how it works on ec05?

i have this problem on fascinate and a guy suggested this and it worked!:

it looks like all you'd have to do is edit the pcm.AndroidPlayback_Headphone_incall section, line 487, in /system/etc/asound.conf, and changing it from reading {name "Voice Call Path" value 4} to {name "Voice Call Path" value 5}. Here's the values, from the comments in the config file: # 0:OFF 1:RCV 2:SPK 3:HP 4:HP_NO_MIC 5:BT