No need to tether Wifi... Bluetooth tether works

Search This thread

axc630

Feb 25, 2011
Has anyone tried doing a bluetooth tether to a blackberry?

i'm new to the android world having been stuck to my crackberry for some time and regularly bluetooth tether my laptop through DUN. i dropped into my local best buy to try the method the OP said, but the tether option did not appear inside the "wrench" when i selected my phone. BB 9700/Tmobile.

Thanks guys/gals.

mrksbrd

Aug 31, 2010
New Jersey
waiting to give wifi tether a roll, but doesn't bluetooth have slower connection speed? Will be giving it a try via wifi shortly !!!

lancejt

Jun 12, 2007
I'm sending this from my xoom tethered through bluetooth from an OG droid. Knew wifi wouldn't work due to ad-hoc issue. Glad there is a solution.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA App

dp92180

Apr 21, 2008
I'm using the built in hotspot in CM7 on my Evo and do not have a problem. I tested it on the store demo before picking the Xoom up.

I haven't tried the bluetooth tethering yet but is there a battery or speed benifit over wifi tethering?

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

rquellet

Sep 17, 2010
I'm using the built in hotspot in CM7 on my Evo and do not have a problem. I tested it on the store demo before picking the Xoom up.

I haven't tried the bluetooth tethering yet but is there a battery or speed benifit over wifi tethering?

Bluetooth by definition uses less power than wifi. The Max speed is limited to around 800kbps on my droid x. Wifi tethering brings my Max speed up to 1500kbps(my avg 3g Max speed). Bluetooth tether can also be initiated from the xoom without having to start the tether app on my phone. That is really convienient.

So, I dont know the actual battery life difference other than bluetooth should use less.

Reactions: SamVimes

dp92180

Apr 21, 2008
Bluetooth by definition uses less power than wifi. The Max speed is limited to around 800kbps on my droid x. Wifi tethering brings my Max speed up to 1500kbps(my avg 3g Max speed). Bluetooth tether can also be initiated from the xoom without having to start the tether app on my phone. That is really convienient.

So, I dont know the actual battery life difference other than bluetooth should use less.

Thanks, I plan on testing later today.

ixobelle

Jul 16, 2010
Initially, it connected the first time (paired, that is) and then, once paired, the option to tether shows up like I mentioned in the OP. I've had a few occasions where I needed to turn off and on the BT on both devices until they played nicely again.

As for why not use Wi-Fi tether... I actually used to use Barnacle for my DX, but that doesn't work with the Xoom. "Wifi Tether" does, however, so I'll probably just use that for my own purposes.

HOWEVER, having this BT option will be a boon for those with Blackberries or an unrooted android phone... it's just another option. :)

dwboston

Jan 13, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
When I try to connect to my evo all I get is "paired but not connected"

An suggestions?

Same here with my Dell Streak. The Streak's WiFi hotspot functionality works perfectly with Xoom however. On thing that's interesting is when I run a speedtest on the Streak, my upload speeds cap out around 350 kbps. When I connect the Xoom to the Streak's data connection via WiFi, the upload speed on the Xoom reads much higher, about 1.5 kbps.

lopros

Feb 23, 2011
I'm sending this from my xoom tethered through bluetooth from an OG droid. Knew wifi wouldn't work due to ad-hoc issue. Glad there is a solution.

How are you tethering through bluetooth on the OG droid? I have a rooted OG Droid and the best I can do is pair it with the xoom but can't get them to connect. What app are you using?any help is greatly appreciated. I love my Xoom! Just need to get my tether working with my OG Droid.

Nvious1

Feb 26, 2011
Kansas City, MO
I am with lopros. I can get my devices to pair but not connected plus I don't see any kind of profiles to tether. I installed experimental build of wifi tether but nothing seems to be showing. I am running a somewhat recent Nightly of CM7 on an OG Droid.

jeston

Oct 5, 2007
How are you tethering through bluetooth on the OG droid? I have a rooted OG Droid and the best I can do is pair it with the xoom but can't get them to connect. What app are you using?any help is greatly appreciated. I love my Xoom! Just need to get my tether working with my OG Droid.

I am with lopros. I can get my devices to pair but not connected plus I don't see any kind of profiles to tether. I installed experimental build of wifi tether but nothing seems to be showing. I am running a somewhat recent Nightly of CM7 on an OG Droid.

Did you guys set Wireless Tether for Root to use bluetooth rather than wifi in the settings? Version 2.0.6 is working fine for me on my OG Droid.

Nvious1

Feb 26, 2011
Kansas City, MO
OK I finally got this working. Here is what I did to spell it out.

1) make sure you have the latest wireless tether app from market. Do not use the experimental like previously stated cause it doesn't have the blue tooth in there
2) configure the wireless tether app to use blue tooth and not wifi
3) turn on bluetooth and discovery on the OG Droid
4) discover the of droid from the xoom and pair both
5) now turn on the wireless tether (bluetooth) on the of droid
6) now back on the xoom, click the wrench on the droid paired line and select the tether profile. It should connect and show a larger bluetooth icon down by battery.

You should now be working. Cheers!

firepacket

Feb 4, 2010

1) make sure you have the latest wireless tether app from market. Do not use the experimental like previously stated cause it doesn't have the blue tooth in there
6) now back on the xoom, click the wrench on the droid paired line and select the tether profile. It should connect and show a larger bluetooth icon down by battery.

+1 this worked perfectly on my Droid.

One thing though - you have to keep the Wireless Tether app running on Bluetooth mode on your Droid or you wont be able to connect.

Someone earlier said they were able to bluetooth-tether from the Xoom without touching their phone. Not sure how that was done...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a droidX, and was syncing the two devices to push a file across them when I saw bluetooth tethering... it works flawlessly. I never even heard about this during all the "screw the data plan, I'll wifi tether my tablet" hoo-ha.

Basically: sync up a phone with the tablet so they see each other.

Then go into bluetooth settings on the Xoom: settings > wireless and networks > bluetooth settings > paired devices > (YOUR PHONE)... and click the wrench icon. There's a tether option right there sitting in broad daylight... no need to even have a rooted handset I guess?

works great for me.

baller status.

The DroidX has trouble with data connectivity(3g) with the current release Wireless Tether app. There is a prerelease 2.07 that fixes this. I am now wifi and bluetooth tethering without data disconnects. Download the release from the wireless tether website.

Atrix and Xoom hook up

Reezy23 asked for a specific solution on hooking up the Atrix and Xoom. This may be old news, but I finally got my Atrix and Xoom tethered last night and checked it again this morning and it hooks right up. The following sequence is what initially enabled the tether connection, however, today, I find I can cut out many steps which I will summarize at the end.

First, getting the Atrix and Xoom to pair was not an issue, however, getting them to "connect" was the problem. After they have beeen paired but not connected, I shut off both the wi-fi and bluetooth on both the Atrix and Xoom and then started the Wireless Tether App (version 2.07) on the Atrix. The only boxes I activated in the Wireless Bluetooth app menu was the "Use Bluetooth" and "Discoverable" boxes. Start the Wireless Tether app and touch "Yes" to turn on the "Bluetooth permission request" box that pops up on the Atrix. Then, go to the Xoom and make certain the "Bluetooth tethering" box is checked under the "Tethering and portable hotspot" setting on the Xoom. Then, turn on "Bluetooth" on the Xoom and select "Bluetooth settings." Touch (hold for a moment) the "wrench" by your "Atrix paired device but still not connected" and another box should appear that says "Tethering." Touch the "Tethering" and it should say it is connecting and then it will change to "Tethered", and a blue Bluetooth symbol will appear in the notification area. At that point you are good to go. If you check the "Paired devices" on your Xoom, it will now say it is paired with the Atrix. However, on the Atrix, it never does say it is paired.

Today I find that if I have Bluetooth on both the Xoom and Atrix and the Bluetooth tethering enabled on the Xoom, all I have to do is start the Wireless Tether app on the Atrix, touch the "yes" button to the Bluetooth pemission request that come up, go to the Xoom and press the wrench on the Atix pairing, touch Tether, and it hooks up. For all the trial and error to get it going, it sure is a breeze once it makes the first connect.