[SCRIPT] Root for 4.1.57 (Depreciated, use newer version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ssmr2t

Jan 19, 2011
So.... What happens if I already ran this half way thru and the ADB cant find the frozen fish?

Because now I am on 1.2.7

Where to go now? Shouldn't this thread be completely locked and the first post modified to have a link to the new thread?

Ririal

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 21, 2011
Grayslake
www.rirnef.net
So.... What happens if I already ran this half way thru and the ADB cant find the frozen fish?

Because now I am on 1.2.7

Where to go now? Shouldn't this thread be completely locked and the first post modified to have a link to the new thread?

The first post is updated with a link to the new thread. Go ask a mod to close it for us, since we can't ;)

ssmr2t

Jan 19, 2011
The first post is updated with a link to the new thread. Go ask a mod to close it for us, since we can't ;)

Yeah, but when I ran the update the link wasn't there so now I am on .7.... with a half ass superuser :D

What steps can I take to go back now? Am I pretty much screwed until the devs work on a update for .7?

Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HTML:
    The new update blocks the current ways of attaining root for the device. However, if you have root before you update, it is possible to retain this during the upgrade.

Script is online!

A newer version is available here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=12540398#post12540398
    based on what your scripts say, i too, just did it manually:

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    cp /system/bin/su /osh/sbin/frozenfish
    chmod 06755 /osh/sbin/frozenfish
    ran the update
    Code:
    adb shell
    /osh/sbin/frozenfish
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/mmcblk0p12 /system
    cp /osh/sbin/frozenfish /system/bin/su
    chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
    mount -o remount,ro /dev/mmcblk0p12 /system
    then i rebooted once for good measure. tested with titanium backup and running adb shell, su
    Instructions for install (I'm Fenrir, the script in the first post is mine):

1. Download the scripts
    2. Make sure your device is 1.2.6 and is not running any mods, I recommend a fresh SBF flash
    3. Enable USB debugging (Settings -> Applications -> Developement)
    4. Connect your phone
    5. Run beforeupdate.bat
    6. Go to Settings -> About phone -> System updates
    7. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the update
    8. When the update finishes, verify USB debugging is still on
    9. Run afterupdate.bat and follow the directions. You will need to input three commands. MAKE SURE YOU ALLOW SUPERUSER AFTER THE FIRST COMMAND. Just type them in order and everything will work.
    10. Enjoy your rooted phone!
    Trying to think of a way to get around the "type 3 commands" thing at the end so that it's automatic.

Good luck, honestly. I don't mean that in a sarcastic way, either. I spent almost 3 hours trying to get it to pass through the commands to no avail. :\ I can send you a detailed explanation on why it wouldn't work if you like, might help you come up with something that I didn't think of.

I followed instructions with no root.

I did a fresh flash of 4.1.26, ran beforeupdate, updated via OTA, then ran afterupdate typing exactly what was supposed to be type allowed SU and no success was not able to install titanium to restore phone.

The script asks you if you're rooted. If you're not, it will root for you. Did you allow superuser on the phone when you typed the commands in?

You need to be rooted before you run beforeupdate if you arent rooted to begin with it's nothing to retain

Actually, you don't. See above.

(P.S. If you use the script, consider throwing a thanks my way as well since I did a bulk of the work on it ;) )
    Instructions for install (I'm Fenrir, the script in the first post is mine):

1. Download the scripts
    2. Make sure your device is 1.2.6 and is not running any mods, I recommend a fresh SBF flash
    3. Enable USB debugging (Settings -> Applications -> Development)
    4. Connect your phone
    5. Run beforeupdate.bat
    6. Go to Settings -> About phone -> System updates
    7. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the update
    8. When the update finishes, verify USB debugging is still on
    9. Run afterupdate.bat and follow the directions. You will need to input three commands. MAKE SURE YOU ALLOW SUPERUSER AFTER THE FIRST COMMAND. Just type them in order and everything will work.
    10. Enjoy your rooted phone!

Just to go a bit further in detail with the directions to eliminate any questions.

• Download the retainroot.7z
    • Make sure your device is 1.2.6 and is not running any mods, I recommend a fresh SBF flash
    • Enable USB debugging (Settings -> Applications -> Development)
    • Connect your phone (I was on USB mass storage, not sure on what the recommended setting is here)
    • Extract all the files from the retainroot.7z into the same folder
    • Run beforeupdate.bat (make sure to run as admin, in Win7, hold Crtl and double click)
    • Go to Settings -> About phone -> System updates
    • Follow the on-screen instructions, first download the update, then it will prompt to install
    • The update will reboot the device, apply itself and the boot up process will take longer than normal
    • When it finally boots back up, verify USB debugging is still on
    • Run afterupdate.bat (make sure to run as admin, in Win7, hold Crtl and double click)
    • Follow the on screen directions, the first command it will ask you run is adb.exe shell. This will get you to a $ prompt. The second command to run will be /osh/sbin/frozenfish. Now look at your phone's screen, approve the superuser prompt or you will get permission denied. Your prompt should now be #. The last command to run is ./data/local/tmp/restoresu.sh.
    • You should get a confirmation, close the dialog or type exit.

I'm working with root on the new update, thanks a bunch guys for your speedy efforts.