(GOOGLE DOCS SPREADSHEET)ATT & Tmo IMEI thread/ Report issues & info here!

Search This thread

androholic

Dec 22, 2011
Canton
UPDATE 7/29/2012 : PEOPLEARMY HAS FOUND A WAY TO BACK UP, RESTORE, OR INJECT YOUR IMEI! BELOW I WILL PASTE A LINK. THE PROBLEM APPEARS TO NOW HAVE A SOLUTION! PLEASE BE SURE TO THANK PEOPLEARMY, AND MOST OF ALL, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE I ENCOURAGE YOU TO DONATE TO HIM, AS HE HAS SAVED MANT PEOPLE FROM WARRANTY EXCHANGES, BRICKED DEVICES, AND MILD HEART ATTACKS!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1801997

UPDATE 7/30/2012: IT APPEARS THAT USER "GEEK", WHO PLAYED A LARGE ROLE IN PEOPLEARMYS IMEI SOLUTION, HAS NOW WRAPPED UP THE BACK UP PROCESS INTO A VERY SIMPLE AND EASY TO USE TOOL THAT ONLY REQUIRES FREEWARE! BELOW YOU WILL FIND A LINK TO GEEKS TOOL & EASY TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ACCOMPANIED BY A VIDEO DEMONSTRATION! PEOPLEARMY HAS SUGGESTED THAT HE BELIEVES IT WOULD BE BEST IF YOU WERE TO CREATE THE BACK UP USING BOTH METHODS. PLEASE BE SURE TO THANK GEEK WHEN YOU VISIT HIS "IMEI TOOL THREAD", AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, IF YOU ARE IN A POSITION TO DONATE THEN PLEASE DO. WITHOUT THE HARD WORK OF BOTH OF THESE USERS, MANY PEOPLE WOULD HAVE LOST THEIR VERY EXPENSIVE GS3'S!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1804123

Last edited:

laylovj

Sep 16, 2010
Can u not just backup the EFS folder from the roother or not?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

androholic

Dec 22, 2011
Canton
I highly recommend you all read this thread & pass it on to other users! Maybe someone will post it in the Tmo development section also, but I wasn't sure if it was the proper place? This is a huge risk, and I don't want to see anyone else lose their phone, especially those without insurance!

jcbofkc

Feb 16, 2008
Kansas City
I highly recommend you all read this thread & pass it on to other users! Maybe someone will post it in the Tmo development section also, but I wasn't sure if it was the proper place? This is a huge risk, and I don't want to see anyone else lose their phone, especially those without insurance!

Really? I flash anything I want with zero issues regarding the imei. Rocking along on Tmo. Maybe you should mention the carrier you are using in the op. The thread you linked is an att thread.

es7241

Mar 13, 2008
Really? I flash anything I want with zero issues regarding the imei. Rocking along on Tmo. Maybe you should mention the carrier you are using in the op. The thread you linked is an att thread.

It's not just AT&T , a couple T-MOBILE users are experiencing the same

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

circuit.007

Mar 20, 2012
I just read this thread.. now im scared. i just flashed 2 different roms and a new kernel.

Will a previous nandroid restore it if the imei gets removed?

brfield

Apr 21, 2010
Goodyear, AZ

Milk Tea

Jun 26, 2012
what is the effect of not having the imei on the phone? why is it a big deal?

kite edit: That was cute - let's keep that kind of talk to ourselves, eh?

more bluntly, a phone without an IMEI won't get served a signal by AT&T, as posted earlier by someone else if you had read the topic. And what's a phone without a data OR voice connection.

Last edited by a moderator:

niezek

Aug 18, 2010
Clayton
This happened to me with my captivate a few years ago the only way to fix it was to send it to Samsung for a factory firmware reflash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
This happened to me with my captivate a few years ago the only way to fix it was to send it to Samsung for a factory firmware reflash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

I'm going to hold off doing anything with this phone until we know what causes it or at least have a verified way to get it back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Will of fire

Apr 14, 2011
union city ca
A user replied in my thread about jellybean that he flashed the jb gapps and lost his imei. Maybe it depends what recovery you have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

androholic

Dec 22, 2011
Canton
I just read this thread.. now im scared. i just flashed 2 different roms and a new kernel.

Will a previous nandroid restore it if the imei gets removed?

NO a nandroid restore has been proven unsuccessful, and I don't want to scare anyone, I want ppl to be informed! I myself have chosen not to flash anything else until more is discovered, but that's just my choice & I'm not as advanced as many users here on XDA.

Reactions: LuRock

androholic

Dec 22, 2011
Canton
Does this affect sprint GS3 owner??

I've been to at least a half dozen hacker sites trying to locate ppl with the issue, and I've not yet discovered a sprint, or Verizon phone suffering from this issue, only gsm models . But, I can't promise it won't happen, but I would assume it doesn't affect you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE 7/29/2012 : PEOPLEARMY HAS FOUND A WAY TO BACK UP, RESTORE, OR INJECT YOUR IMEI! BELOW I WILL PASTE A LINK. THE PROBLEM APPEARS TO NOW HAVE A SOLUTION! PLEASE BE SURE TO THANK PEOPLEARMY, AND MOST OF ALL, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE I ENCOURAGE YOU TO DONATE TO HIM, AS HE HAS SAVED MANT PEOPLE FROM WARRANTY EXCHANGES, BRICKED DEVICES, AND MILD HEART ATTACKS!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1801997

UPDATE 7/30/2012: IT APPEARS THAT USER "GEEK", WHO PLAYED A LARGE ROLE IN PEOPLEARMYS IMEI SOLUTION, HAS NOW WRAPPED UP THE BACK UP PROCESS INTO A VERY SIMPLE AND EASY TO USE TOOL THAT ONLY REQUIRES FREEWARE! BELOW YOU WILL FIND A LINK TO GEEKS TOOL & EASY TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ACCOMPANIED BY A VIDEO DEMONSTRATION! PEOPLEARMY HAS SUGGESTED THAT HE BELIEVES IT WOULD BE BEST IF YOU WERE TO CREATE THE BACK UP USING BOTH METHODS. PLEASE BE SURE TO THANK GEEK WHEN YOU VISIT HIS "IMEI TOOL THREAD", AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, IF YOU ARE IN A POSITION TO DONATE THEN PLEASE DO. WITHOUT THE HARD WORK OF BOTH OF THESE USERS, MANY PEOPLE WOULD HAVE LOST THEIR VERY EXPENSIVE GS3'S!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1804123
    Hi,

Just wanted to fill you guys in on what I'm working on.

So far I have built a custom rom that enables Diagnostic serial port on T-mobile SGS3
    I have Extracted the 16 digit password from the modem
    I have Connected to Qualcomm Service tools such as CDMA workshop and QPST/QXDM
    I have READ the IMEI with these tools.
    I have achieved a full NV dump of the phone.

The only thing left is to achieve WRITE of IMEI and your problems will be solved.

I do not have the issue on my device but decided to put some time into this to see if I could get it done. I am still working on it now.

Is there an official bounty for this solution or no?
    I'll concur, that command looks ok to me.. Don't really need to cd /sdcard though but it won't hurt anything.

zonly, good luck, and as usual, this is at your own risk but you already have a brick right :)

Assuming you can get back to a shell afterwards, you can (theoretically) re-dd the original img back to restore the original state.

Okay boys, I'm goin' in. Will report back.
    has anyone tried restoring a complete dd backup after losing imei?

I believe this is the most important question that can be asked but it seems to have been looked over.

I know I've seen people say that the EFS Backup "App" doesn't work, but I'm not terribly surprised by this. Backups don't get much more rock-solid than a 'dd' backup.

(don't remember which thread this was from but it was posted by id_twin)

Backup by typing this in the terminal:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/efs of=/external_sd/efs_backup.img

Restore by typing this in the terminal:
    Code:
    dd if=/external_sd/efs_backup.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/efs_sdcc.1/by-name/efs

For those who are not familliar, this basically backs up a partition by reading directly from the storage device and outputting the byte-for-byte into a file that can be copied off for safe keeping when done. The restore process does the opposite, but writes byte-for-byte the entire partition block back to the partition area exactly the way it originally was pulled.

The important thing to know here is that most backup/restore apps will copy "files" out of a partition and into a different storage format than the partition such as tar or zip. To restore from one of these kinds backup apps, you would have to have an existing properly-formatted partition ready and mounted to extract the files to BUT when you're done extracting, the end-result is that you would have a different partition with the same files but with slight differences, such as the fact that the re-extracted files would likely be written to different areas of the partition than the original partition you extracted from, therefore your restore would NOT give you the EXACT same partition that you started with, just one that appears the same when mounted.

THIS kind of backup (dd backup) is a bit more awesome in that it will perform a partition-level backup which is the raw filesystem and all, it basically reads the 1's and 0's from a particular sector of your storage that includes the filesystem headers and filesystem structure and all in the backup. This means a couple of things. DD doesn't care (or know) what the underlying file-system is, in fact, there doesn't even need to be a filesystem present, it's just bytes in a block on a drive. This means that restoring THIS kind of backup will restore the base-level filesystem in-tact byte-for-byte. It's an exact mirror of your partition. These backups are so solid that these kinds of backups can actually be mounted as if they were a drive-partition on their own because technically, they ARE exactly a partition.

That being said, I really would be shocked if someone couldn't restore their EFS partition this way. I have backed mine up with this method but have not had any IMEI issues as of yet. If someone would be willing to share their DD backup with someone who has lost their IMEI as a proof-of-concept just to let the rest of the group know if this backup/restore method is effective that would be awesome. I have to admit I'm not terribly fond of handing out my IMEI to anyone, but it would be a great test for someone who has TWO GS3's handy (one with a bad IMEI and one good).

Hope this post helpful more than it is boring. I hope this gets figured out soon. I'm still a bit scared to flash another rom for now.
    yousefak ;

YOU HAVE HEREBY BEEN OFFICIALLY DOXXED.

in the future; might want to sign out of your google account *before* you deface something, that so many people have worked hard on...

just a thought buddy.;)

maybe we should deface your website ??
    baahh....
    no need, its already a mess.