Quad Cores on HOLD for the US (AT&T).

Search This thread

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
It seems that there are a few carriers out there still having a hard time working with the advancements of Quad-Core devices and though the processors being used (Tegra 3 chips) aren't what we're use too (Snapdragons) there are a few carriers worried about whether or not they will be able to write software right away either.

HTC One X phone gets quad-core CPU -- except in U.S.

Progress doesn't come without a price and in the case of the new HTC One X smartphone, the price of running on AT&T's 4G LTE network in the U.S. will be a downgrade from a quad-core processor to a dual-core CPU.

The HTC One X will sit at the top of a new line of One smartphones, which the Taiwanese electronics maker showed off for the first time at the Mobile World Congress event in Barcelona.

The One X will sport a huge 4.7-inch touchscreen with 1,280 x 720 pixel resolution, 32 gigabytes of built-in storage, 1 gigabyte of RAM and an 8-megapixel/1080p rear camera. It'll also run Google's Android Ice Cream Sandwich operating system, topped with HTC's Sense user interface.

And when it begins to arrive at retailers in April, the One X will be part of a growing trend in Android handsets that feature quad-core processors, except for the U.S. variation, which will be called the One XL in Asia and Australia.

The U.S. version, which will be sold by AT&T, will ship with a 1.5-gigahertz, dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor rather than the quad-core Nvidia Tegra 3 processor. Dual-core is still plenty fast, but the difference is a bit disappointing as there are no quad-core phones sold here yet.

The reason for the CPU switcheroo is that Nvidia's processor lacked compatibility with AT&T's 4G LTE hardware when the One X was being developed. As first reported by CNet, phones with quad-core Tegra 3 chips and AT&T 4G LTE capability will arrive eventually, but the timing was off for the One X.

Another major feature for the One X and One XL will be the inclusion of Beats Audio, which HTC says will offer a better listening experience for music, videos and games. After all, what's the point of a $300-million deal with Beats By Dr. Dre if Beats Audio technology doesn't make it into your flagship phone?

Story found here for more information and further links:http://www.latimes.com/business/tec...hanks-to-att-4g-lte-20120227,0,6217626.story

Personally my concern is that T-Mobile is picking up the One as well and even though T-Mo doesn't support LTE service this can still put us T-Mo customers at a disadvantage if the devices come to us as Dual-Cores. I've had my MT4G for a while now and though I got it for cheap money it's getting old as any phones life depletes in our community fairly fast considering the amount of flashing we all do, but with this being an option for the carriers including our own this might effect the cost between the Quad and Dual versions.

Well lets see where this puts us in a month or so but for now it looks like I'm buying a new extended-life battery online somewhere till the dust settles.

Example of what it should be.... But with a SD card slot....
HTC One X is an exquisite device that boasts the best of what current mobile technology has to offer, housing an NVIDIA quad-core Tegra 3 processor and featuring Android 4.0 with the HTC’s Sense 4.0 UI.

Other features of the HTC One X include:

Dimensions: 134.4 x 69.9 x 8.9 mm, 130 grams
Micro SIM
4.7″ HD LCD screen, with gorilla glass protection
1280×720 resolution
1.5 Ghz quad-core NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor
1 GB RAM
32 GB built-in memory, no microSD slot
8MP rear camera with ImageSense, 1.3MP front camera
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
NFC support
1800 mAH battery
Beats Audio integration

Last edited:

invasion2

Oct 3, 2011
Space, the ONLY Frontier
Interesting find :) I too wonder how all of this will turn out. I'd rather get it unlocked with quad. But I'm 14 and don't have that money haha.

Sent from my Sense 4.0 Glacier using XDA Premium.

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
Interesting find :) I too wonder how all of this will turn out. I'd rather get it unlocked with quad. But I'm 14 and don't have that money haha.

Well the concern is that all of these devices were to come solely as Quad Cores and there was a specific price point for it because of that, carriers in the US are known for changing the price point because they can get customers to pay the original price of the Quad Cores for the Dual Cores.

This pushes the price of the Quads up a little hitting our pockets and they realize our community will go after the better of the two, I think HTC should have just forced the carriers hand to work on the quad cores instead of giving them the option of downgrading the hardware.

Last edited:

THEindian

Nov 20, 2011
Well T-Mobile is moving to LTE...invasion, I feel you pain bro, I wish I had enough money to buy an unlocked quad core but I would rather go to college lol. Anyway, I heard the quad core isn't better than the snapdragons

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA

I

I2IEAILiiTY

You're 14?

And I'm in college and don't plan on spending that type of money on a phone ever, I'd much rather buy a tablet, which I will soon be doing. Going for the new Asus tabs as soon as they come out. :cool:

smooth3d

Apr 24, 2009
Tulsa Ok
It seems that there are a few carriers out there still having a hard time working with the advancements of Quad-Core devices and though the processors being used (Tegra 3 chips) aren't what we're use too (Snapdragons) there are a few carriers worried about whether or not they will be able to write software right away either.

Story found here for more information and further links:http://www.latimes.com/business/tec...hanks-to-att-4g-lte-20120227,0,6217626.story

Personally my concern is that T-Mobile is picking up the One as well and even though T-Mo doesn't support LTE service this can still put us T-Mo customers at a disadvantage if the devices come to us as Dual-Cores. I've had my MT4G for a while now and though I got it for cheap money it's getting old as any phones life depletes in our community fairly fast considering the amount of flashing we all do, but with this being an option for the carriers including our own this might effect the cost between the Quad and Dual versions.

Well lets see where this puts us in a month or so but for now it looks like I'm buying a new extended-life battery online somewhere till the dust settles.

Example of what it should be.... But with a SD card slot....

Don't be fooled by the number of cores a phones has. The AT&T One X has a next gen S4 Dual-core cpu which is based off the ARM A15 core unlike the Tegra 3 which based on ARM A9 cores. The Qualcomm S4 Dual-core are as fast and in some cases faster then Tegra 3 4+1 cpu's due to the newer chip design. Its not a downgrade by any means.

T-mobile is getting the One S. That particular phone has always been specked with the S4 Dual-core cpu and will be HSPA+ 42 capable.

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
How many times will I have to write it... It just means that your average journalist is no less stupid than your average customer, and can't do a basic research. It might be forgivable for customers, some of which are just 14-year-old kids with no understanding of anything, but it's less forgivable for journalists who should at least pretend having a brain.

Here's a comparison between dual-core S4 and quad-core T3 by Anandtech:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5563/qualcomms-snapdragon-s4-krait-vs-nvidias-tegra-3

Looks like Tegra3 will have a hard time even trying to keep up.
And the funniest thing is that One S, if HTC won't cripple it intentionally, will be way more powerful than One X - because it will have both the CPU speed advantage and, with lower resolution, GPU advantage.

Plus, it's VERY old news already.

Last edited:

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
How many times will I have to write it... It just means that your average journalist is no less stupid than your average customer, and can't do a basic research. It might be forgivable for customers, some of which are just 14-year-old kids with no understanding of anything, but it's less forgivable for journalists who should at least pretend having a brain.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5563/qualcomms-snapdragon-s4-krait-vs-nvidias-tegra-3

And the funniest thing is that One S, if HTC won't cripple it intentionally, will be way more powerful than One X - because it will have both the CPU speed advantage and, with lower resolution, GPU advantage.

Its not worth it....

Last edited:

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
Don't be fooled by the number of cores a phones has. The AT&T One X has a next gen S4 Dual-core cpu which is based off the ARM A15 core unlike the Tegra 3 which based on ARM A9 cores. The Qualcomm S4 Dual-core are as fast and in some cases faster then Tegra 3 4+1 cpu's due to the newer chip design. Its not a downgrade by any means.

T-mobile is getting the One S. That particular phone has always been specked with the S4 Dual-core cpu and will be HSPA+ 42 capable.

My intention of posting this is to show how the market is effected over a network of carriers and manufacturers when product is effected by the investment through marketing and demand, as it's stated in the main post the chips were not going to work with the software planed for them so in turn they changed the device to run a better core (though half of what was originally advertised) to prevent having to re-write the framework.

If the case were specific to the fact that the Tegra chips were going to be the problem then why not pony up for the quad core snapdragons and boost the price for the device as they always have in the past, it's not like they're worried about what their going to charge the consumer as that's never been the case. Personally I would have just waited for a contract deal and weighed my options when it was time, I'm not one to just run out and buy something just because the "Advertised public hype" says it's the best thing since sliced bread I wait to see what happens after the lust settles to get the facts.

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
Quad-core Snapdragons were not on the market yet (and you can see that there are no devices with those scheduled to arrive at the time of release for One X/S), thus they couldn't be utilized, making your point void. AFAIK, Qualcomm's competitor to T3 is dual-core S4, and this is what the device manufacturers will be choosing from, until the quad-core phone-oriented S4 will arrive. The current 8064 is not suggested for LTE phone configuration - read this article, it'll help to understand, why:
http://gigaom.com/mobile/qualcomm-no-quad-core-phones-at-mwc-but-well-have-something-better/

The carriers had their choice, and chose what they thought would suit them the best, considering the time-to-market, the potential performance/battery life differences etc. That some journalist thinks their choice was wrong - doesn't necessarily mean that it is.

Last edited:

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
Quad-core Snapdragons were not on the market yet (and you can see that there are no devices with those scheduled to arrive at the time of release for One X/S), thus they couldn't be utilized, making your point void. AFAIK, Qualcomm's competitor to T3 is dual-core S4, and this is what the device manufacturers will be choosing from, until the quad-core phone-oriented S4 will arrive. The current 8064 is not suggested for LTE phone configuration - read this article, it'll help to understand, why:
http://gigaom.com/mobile/qualcomm-no-quad-core-phones-at-mwc-but-well-have-something-better/

The carriers had their choice, and chose what they thought would suit them the best, considering the time-to-market, the potential performance/battery life differences etc. That some journalist thinks their choice was wrong - doesn't necessarily mean that it is.

Obviously there's a miss communication on how marketing works here, even though they may not have had the option previously doesn't mean they don't have it now. Point is valid. Now that I think of it the Snapdragons have been around for the minimum of a year and the Tegra have been used for twice that and if you read the what you posted it doesn't say the tegra cant do it but it states that it would do it poorly draining battery. I agree with you on that but your missing my point entirely which is with the options they have their going to use other reasons to charge the consumer for over looked issues they can and have the ability to change now.

And another thing though it seems to be old news too you others still have yet to see it, this is why people don't post anything they read anymore because some people have no problem trying to shoot down anything posted before a discussion actually produces anything constructive.

Last edited:

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
Either I don't understand what you're talking about, or you don't understand how the market works - and I'm leaning for the 2nd option. For marketing to have something to show off and plan on, you have to have the actual HW (phone, that is) in the final readiness stage, which means that the HW has been developed for at least 1/2 year ahead of that time. 1 year from CPU manufacturing to phone sales is very good, 9 months is INCREDIBLY OUTSTANDING. Having the CPU ready at point X in time doesn't mean it can be used at that point - it means it can be used at the very least 9 months from that point. There are NO other phones and NOTHING to choose from 9 months ago - but the 2 choices you see now. The only other choice would be to skip international phone launch and wait until either T3+LTE modem combo of some kind is made functional (which could be already done, but we're talking 9 months time ahead, yes?), or to wait until Qualcomm prepares its quad-core for phones (which could also be already done, but again, 9 months ago it wasn't). So, let's see, what would you choose - participate in worldwide launch and use an equally powerful (if not even more powerful) version of the phone sporting LTE support to boot, which nobody else gets, or skip the launch. Oh well, let me think, a very hard choice, is it.

What also causes me to doubt you know what you're talking about, is the fact that Snapdragon-based phones have been around Android since Jan 2010 (Nexus One), and Tegra chipset saw first wide use only in its 2nd version, in Jan 2011 (Optimus 2X), a year later, and a couple more months till it was officially available in US. So it's actually 2 years of VERY widespread use for Snapdragon vs 1 year of spotty use (more tablets than phones - barely 2 phones or so, Atrix and Optimux 2X) for Tegra 2. Just the opposite of what you wrote.

For having smart discussions, there is a small prerequisite - both sides should know what they're talking about quite well. On this board, such a situation is rarely encountered. So sometimes it's better that people don't just run here posting everything they saw somewhere on the internet - especially if it's a 2nd-grade non-professional article in "business" section of some newspaper, and not a professional analysis article on one of the dedicated HW and Android-related sites.

Last edited:

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
Jack_R1 said:
Either I don't understand what you're talking about, or you don't understand how the market works - and I'm leaning for the 2nd option. For marketing to have something to show off and plan on, you have to have the actual HW (phone, that is) in the final readiness stage, which means that the HW has been developed for at least 1/2 year ahead of that time. 1 year from CPU manufacturing to phone sales is very good, 9 months is INCREDIBLY OUTSTANDING. Having the CPU ready at point X in time doesn't mean it can be used at that point - it means it can be used at the very least 9 months from that point. There are NO other phones and NOTHING to choose from 9 months ago - but the 2 choices you see now. The only other choice would be to skip international phone launch and wait until either T3+LTE modem combo of some kind is made functional (which could be already done, but we're talking 9 months time ahead, yes?), or to wait until Qualcomm prepares its quad-core for phones (which could also be already done, but again, 9 months ago it wasn't). So, let's see, what would you choose - participate in worldwide launch and use an equally powerful (if not even more powerful) version of the phone sporting LTE support to boot, which nobody else gets, or skip the launch. Oh well, let me think, a very hard choice, is it.

What also causes me to doubt you know what you're talking about, is the fact that Snapdragon-based phones have been around Android since Jan 2010 (Nexus One), and Tegra chipset saw first wide use only in its 2nd version, in Jan 2011 (Optimus 2X), a year later, and a couple more months till it was officially available in US. So it's actually 2 years of VERY widespread use for Snapdragon vs 1 year of spotty use (more tablets than phones - barely 2 phones or so, Atrix and Optimux 2X) for Tegra 2. Just the opposite of what you wrote.

For having smart discussions, there is a small prerequisite - both sides should know what they're talking about quite well. On this board, such a situation is rarely encountered. So sometimes it's better that people don't just run here posting everything they saw somewhere on the internet - especially if it's a 2nd-grade non-professional article in "business" section of some newspaper, and not a professional analysis article on one of the dedicated HW and Android-related sites.

Wow how's that high perception of yourself. Im actually surprised how easy it is for you to judge a top paid news publicist. I'll just leave the rest for you to continue your rant on how well educated you are and how well business does for you.

I'm not some kid with nothing better to do than sit around and rant, I saw the post which I placed as a reason to see what people thought, it shows the type of people that come on line though.

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
"Top paid publicist" is paid to make news items, not objective analysis. Objective analysis mostly doesn't interest people, it doesn't play with their emotions (which is usually a prerequisite for creating interest). To make interesting news, you need to forcibly inflate just about any issue you're writing about, in such way that would steer people's emotions. This is exactly what you're seeing in the newspaper.

And yes, being a "top paid engineer" that happens to work in this industry, makes you kinda judgmental. I understand that you don't have valid arguments left. OK then.

Last edited:
I

I2IEAILiiTY

hmm tmo updated their account app to support android 4.0

Lol, old news. I said this in one of the dev threads about a week ago. This means some device, whether it's the sensation about to update or the one s is about to come out on T-Mo soon, will give us official ICS on T-Mo, meaning we're going to get wifi calling for ICS finally.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.