How To Keep Your Android Phone From Being Hacked By Malicious Apps

Search This thread

Omnichron

Dec 1, 2010
East Highland, CA
Steve Kovach | Mar. 3, 2011, 10:11 AM

Yesterday we told you about the 21 malicious apps Google yanked from the Android Market.

Now at least 30 more have been discovered and removed. These apps are designed to gain root access to your phone and steal information such as your carrier ID. It also opens up your phone to even more malicious code.

Many of the apps have seemingly innocuous names like "Scientific Calculator" or raunchy ones like "Super Sex Positions." If you're ever in doubt about an app, err on the side of caution and don't download it.

One of our commenters pointed out a free Android app called Lookout that will scan anything you download to your phone for malware. We've used Lookout before, but haven't found a need for it until now.

Download it for free in the Android Market and allow it to run in the background. Lookout will notify you if it finds a virus or malware on your phone.

So far, it looks like three developers are responsible for the malicious apps. If you see an app from we20090202, Kingmall2010, or Myournet do not download it.

Here's the list of the malicious apps from Lookout's blog that have been identified so far:

* Falling Down
* Super Guitar Solo
* Super History Eraser
* Photo Editor
* Super Ringtone Maker
* Super Sex Positions
* Hot Sexy Videos
* Chess
* 下坠滚球_Falldown
* Hilton Sex Sound
* Screaming Sexy Japanese Girls
* Falling Ball Dodge
* Scientific Calculator
* Dice Roller
* 躲避弹球
* Advanced Currency Converter
* App Uninstaller
* 几何战机_PewPew
* Funny Paint
* Spider Man
* 蜘蛛侠
* Bowling Time
* Advanced Barcode Scanner
* Supre Bluetooth Transfer
* Task Killer Pro
* Music Box
* Sexy Girls: Japanese
* Sexy Legs
* Advanced File Manager
* Magic Strobe Light
* 致命绝色美腿
* 墨水坦克Panzer Panic
* 裸奔先生Mr. Runner
* 软件强力卸载
* Advanced App to SD
* Super Stopwatch & Timer
* Advanced Compass Leveler
* Best password safe
* 掷骰子
* 多彩绘画
* Finger Race
* Piano
* Bubble Shoot
* Advanced Sound Manager
* Magic Hypnotic Spiral
* Funny Face
* Color Blindness Test
* Tie a Tie
* Quick Notes
* Basketball Shot Now
* Quick Delete Contacts
* Omok Five in a Row
* Super Sexy Ringtones
* 大家来找茬
* 桌上曲棍球
* 投篮高手

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-...hone-from-malicious-apps-2011-3#ixzz1FYR1gYHU

oh man... I thought this might be helpful info for us here. be careful with leaked apps as well. You never know if they've been modified in some way. You could be opening up your phone to an exploit.

mbbauk

Jan 21, 2011
London
Nice and the war begines Virus makers v anti virus

Hi
Thank you for the important info youv shared

my first questions to acctualy start looking for defence against malware

lookup seems good by all the feedback iv got but who is lookup?
why should i trust lookup?
yeh you can call it paranoia but better safe huh.

orb3000

Retired Senior Moderator
XDA App Taskforce
Not sure about other options, sure there are more around.
I got this as a recommendation and so far it´s doing the job

Does anyone know how effective Lookup (or other security apps) actually are?

Can´t tell if it´s a needed app but it´s better to have it and see if it feeds your needs.

So, is Lookout now a needed App ? And do i have to register to run Lookout ?

xaccers

Jul 21, 2009
Milling around Milton Keynes
They moderate similar to a forum, innocent until proven guilty. They wont cut something til the issue is known

See, that to me is ridiculous on google's part.
Applications need to be vetted, if that slows down the app population growth then so be it.
I'm pretty sure that the MS Marketplace doesn't just let people upload apps to it as when an excellent train timetable app stopped working and needed an update, MS took ages to allow the update onto the marketplace (I would imagine they were somewhat tied up prepping for the release of WP7 which makes sense).

If an app that runs on our phones is able to detect such malware, then why can't google even impliment an auto scan on uploads to the market?

I've always been cautious of the market as I've suspected that apps aren't vetted, the official sources of apps HAVE to be safe no matter what OS

Reactions: Segnale007

darbear5610

Aug 25, 2010
New Jersey
Will download and give this a test run. Btw some of those raunchy apps, maybe they shouldn't have dl'd them in the first place. D=

lardman

Oct 20, 2007
Bath
What's lacking in all the commentary is how to check whether your device has indeed been infected.

Now I didn't have the various raunchy/boob/japanese school girl apps installed, but I may have had the scientific calculator installed as well as Advanced Barcode Scanner (I need to check when I get home).

Sod's law says that the one time I boot Android in weeks (device is normally being used for Meego/Ubuntu development) I get a virus.

This article gives some information about what the installer does:

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/03/03/droid-dream-android-market-malware-attack-aftermath/

So I guess I should check and see what services are now running, see the names of the app publishers, etc. to determine whether I am indeed infected.

badanas

Feb 17, 2011
Thank you for share,, I install only market applications, have a lot of apps and i only install applications if are a cracked version of an application available on market

RideZeLitenin

Feb 10, 2011
Will antiviruses sold on the market particularly help protect you from malware?
I heard a while back that antiviruses on Android weren't essential...

DrXThirst

Feb 10, 2011
I believe you guys should give Lookout a bit more credit, too.
Their website offers a great service if you actually sign up and use it.
They have a free "Phone-Finder" service that actually works very well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Steve Kovach | Mar. 3, 2011, 10:11 AM

Yesterday we told you about the 21 malicious apps Google yanked from the Android Market.

Now at least 30 more have been discovered and removed. These apps are designed to gain root access to your phone and steal information such as your carrier ID. It also opens up your phone to even more malicious code.

Many of the apps have seemingly innocuous names like "Scientific Calculator" or raunchy ones like "Super Sex Positions." If you're ever in doubt about an app, err on the side of caution and don't download it.

One of our commenters pointed out a free Android app called Lookout that will scan anything you download to your phone for malware. We've used Lookout before, but haven't found a need for it until now.

Download it for free in the Android Market and allow it to run in the background. Lookout will notify you if it finds a virus or malware on your phone.

So far, it looks like three developers are responsible for the malicious apps. If you see an app from we20090202, Kingmall2010, or Myournet do not download it.

Here's the list of the malicious apps from Lookout's blog that have been identified so far:

* Falling Down
    * Super Guitar Solo
    * Super History Eraser
    * Photo Editor
    * Super Ringtone Maker
    * Super Sex Positions
    * Hot Sexy Videos
    * Chess
    * 下坠滚球_Falldown
    * Hilton Sex Sound
    * Screaming Sexy Japanese Girls
    * Falling Ball Dodge
    * Scientific Calculator
    * Dice Roller
    * 躲避弹球
    * Advanced Currency Converter
    * App Uninstaller
    * 几何战机_PewPew
    * Funny Paint
    * Spider Man
    * 蜘蛛侠
    * Bowling Time
    * Advanced Barcode Scanner
    * Supre Bluetooth Transfer
    * Task Killer Pro
    * Music Box
    * Sexy Girls: Japanese
    * Sexy Legs
    * Advanced File Manager
    * Magic Strobe Light
    * 致命绝色美腿
    * 墨水坦克Panzer Panic
    * 裸奔先生Mr. Runner
    * 软件强力卸载
    * Advanced App to SD
    * Super Stopwatch & Timer
    * Advanced Compass Leveler
    * Best password safe
    * 掷骰子
    * 多彩绘画
    * Finger Race
    * Piano
    * Bubble Shoot
    * Advanced Sound Manager
    * Magic Hypnotic Spiral
    * Funny Face
    * Color Blindness Test
    * Tie a Tie
    * Quick Notes
    * Basketball Shot Now
    * Quick Delete Contacts
    * Omok Five in a Row
    * Super Sexy Ringtones
    * 大家来找茬
    * 桌上曲棍球
    * 投篮高手

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-...hone-from-malicious-apps-2011-3#ixzz1FYR1gYHU

oh man... I thought this might be helpful info for us here. be careful with leaked apps as well. You never know if they've been modified in some way. You could be opening up your phone to an exploit.
    stop downloading apps with boobs and sex in it. lol
    They moderate similar to a forum, innocent until proven guilty. They wont cut something til the issue is known

See, that to me is ridiculous on google's part.
    Applications need to be vetted, if that slows down the app population growth then so be it.
    I'm pretty sure that the MS Marketplace doesn't just let people upload apps to it as when an excellent train timetable app stopped working and needed an update, MS took ages to allow the update onto the marketplace (I would imagine they were somewhat tied up prepping for the release of WP7 which makes sense).

If an app that runs on our phones is able to detect such malware, then why can't google even impliment an auto scan on uploads to the market?

I've always been cautious of the market as I've suspected that apps aren't vetted, the official sources of apps HAVE to be safe no matter what OS