So fed up with the G2X

Search This thread

mmandros

Apr 17, 2011
Moving Target
Tried them. All was well for a couple of days. Then the sleep of death came back.

I thought I remember reading a thread that linked SOD to bad batteries or something. Every time they send you a new phone you are putting the same battery back in. I'll do some searching and see if I can find it. Would be a cheaper try.

Last edited:

regP

Nov 1, 2010
Bay Area
I thought I remember reading a thread that linked SOD to bad batteries or something. Every time they send you a new phone you are putting the same battery back in. I'll do some searching and see if I can find it. Would be a cheaper try.

Nope. There may have been some cases of actual bad batteries but for most the battery but it was never proven to be the root of the problem. Enabling "stay awake" ended my SOD issue from day one regardless of what ROM I'm on.

jcbofkc

Feb 16, 2008
Kansas City
Call it what you want. Im just stating the facts. G2x was a horrible device. End of story.

No offence my friend. I could have stated what I intended in a more professional manner. I have five of these phones. Three were perfect. One required a swap. I swaped the batteries on the rest of them. Two were purchased the first week. Those two had issues. T-Mobile went out of their way, above and beyond to help me. Verbiage is important. Six phones with major issues? At the time you are referring to, T-Mobile offered various solutions and substitutions. Why did you choose not to take advantage? I would not put up with such shenanigans. I have a business to run.

richteralan

Aug 3, 2010
Hong Kong
I could not be more fed up with the T-Mo G2x. I just listed it on Craigslist. I have had more problems with this phone that any other Android phone I've owned. I can not find a ROM that makes this phone run smoothly. I do not blame the devs in any way. They are just working with the crap that LG provided them. Anywho...to my question. I was wondering from those of you on T-Mobile what you thought the best replacement would be. I'm not eligible for an upgrade for another year so that is out of the question. I need a contract free phone and it needs to run on T-Mo's 3G or HSPA+ network. Thanks for your advice guys. I appreciate it. BTW...my budget is $350. My initial thoughts were either going back to a Nexus S, or going with an HTC Sensation.

Good decision. Now I'm on a dumb phone+tablet combo. Couldn't be happier. May buy Sony Xperia S.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app

shazam1203

Jun 29, 2010
Plano, TX
I am thinking I am gonna do warranty exchange tomorrow.. Sick of all the issues with this phone..Miss my vibrant... After 3 times I will get a new phone hopefully mytouch 4g or galaxy s 4g

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

whozilla

Mar 5, 2012
signal hill ca
I had a ton of random reboots and freezes on my g2x aswell. I also hated the gb cam. Charging it while off helped a bit and after rooting it, the phone is what I was always hoping it would be. Can't wait for a stable ics.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I could not be more fed up with the T-Mo G2x. I just listed it on Craigslist. I have had more problems with this phone that any other Android phone I've owned. I can not find a ROM that makes this phone run smoothly. I do not blame the devs in any way. They are just working with the crap that LG provided them. Anywho...to my question. I was wondering from those of you on T-Mobile what you thought the best replacement would be. I'm not eligible for an upgrade for another year so that is out of the question. I need a contract free phone and it needs to run on T-Mo's 3G or HSPA+ network. Thanks for your advice guys. I appreciate it. BTW...my budget is $350. My initial thoughts were either going back to a Nexus S, or going with an HTC Sensation.

Well... you're missing out.

With pretty much any optimized CM ROM (Eaglesblood, Hellfire Phoenix) and a good kernel, well THE good kernel (trinity) your phone will fly. Could easily compete with the T-Mo Galaxy S2.

But, yeah, the next best thing to a G2x is a Galaxy S2, I think HTC phones are ugly, but if you like them I think T-mo has a few good ones.

---------- Post added at 02:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

Nexus s

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

Why do people think a single core phone can compete with a dual core phone? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Even with crap software a dual core phone beats a single core phone in sheer processing power, and then with custom ROMs it beats them in everything. Not to mention the G2x has Tegra 2.

I'm happy with my G2x's hardware, and the dev's here are amazing.
    I don't feel that I am missing out in any way shape or form. After having a Nexus S in the past and having used my mom's nexus s since the 4.0.3 update, I can tell you that it blows my G2X out of the water. Single core or not, I will take a bugless interface over what I have been dealing with on the G2X. I am unable to keep it on for more than an hour at a time, at which point I get the sleep of death. This is my 3rd G2X and they have all had the same issues. I have tried every custom rom and every kernel and every combination in between. I am experienced with flashing roms and kernels and can not for the life of me make this phone worth anything. I'm done with it. So yeah...I am considering going back to the Nexus S.

One more thing. Thank you so much to all of the devs for the G2X. Thanks for all of the work that all of you have put in trying to make this phone everything it should be. You are very much appreciated.

I had the same problems with mine up until about a week ago. I read an article that stated it wasn't the phones problem but a battery problem due to LG batteries having a bad batch and overall suck. I ordered a anker battery off of eBay and guess what? I have not had one single issue again for a week straight. Same rom and kernel as before. So to anyone having issues and are using the stock battery replace it with a non OEM brand.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium
    I've had my share of disappointment with this device and I finally am at peace with my phone. Actually also shocked because I am finally able to get the battery life, the stability, and non-random reboots on my phone. Only thing that does drive me mad is the GPS, that **** will never work and don't expect it to. I just carry my G2 and WiFi tether off G2x if my device never locks on gps signal.

Battery Life: Awesome?
    Turns out people out here in the post are right. Its the apps. For almost a year I've had loaded apps that simply leech the battery. I got super pissed and started freezing the apps that launched for no reason. Checked running apps and froze anything that shouldn't even be on. Did that until I took out any app that could drain my battery. Also switched from 4G to EDGE. Don't really mind but others will. The result was simply amazing. 15 hours of moderate use and could have gone 20 hours on single charge ON STOCK BATTERY. And using the 3500mah battery, past the 20 hour mark on heavy use.

The battery issue really got me bad because I couldn't get even 8 hours of use on the 3500mah battery with moderate use. That was really crappy so in the end its the apps to blame for the battery. Haven't used the 2.3.3 ROM in a long time so can't compare if the OS simply doesn't manage the apps properly.

Black Screen of DEATH: Still there sometimes

A few weeks ago I used a stock battery that really got hot on normal use, and every time while charging, the phone froze. I have 2 stock batteries. One of them is bad and is causing all the issues with BSOD, and the phone getting very hot. I switched batteries and the issue never came up (Phone Getting HOT that is).

Black screen of death still persists but I believe configuring the device to stay awake when charging is the solution. I had wifi enabled always while charging. I turned it off for some reason, to save on battery, and the BSOD returned. Then there was an option on Applications->Development->Stay Awake. I've really not had a BSOD while charging in a long time. Could be a solution but who knows.

But in the end I get the frustration, and honestly I've had to put alot of time learning this crap and figuring out how to make this phone stable. A phone is suppose to work and if it takes this much effort just for the G2X, or any phone, it should be replaced/scrapped.

The only reason I've hung in so long onto this phone is because almost a year ago I paid retail $500 bucks for this phone and I intend to get my money's worth. I've had ups and downs. But this phone should have been better. And I blame LG for everything. Devs here made this phone OK. Could have been great but whatever. LG sucks
    You try running cm7 with the Trinity kernel?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Shame. My phone is fast and stable. No sleep death, great power, and damn good battery life.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk