[Q]-Bootlooping/possibly bricked 7' Kindle HD

Search This thread

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
Hi folks. SNagged an "untested" kindle fire HD 7 off ebay. Wanted to try my luck with the kindle tablet's since I haven't owned or rooted any of them. Sadly, it's not working. It turns on, comes to the kindle fire logo, does a slow lens flare, goes to the fast lens flare and cycles that a bit before briefly stopping the fast moving flare and starting it all over again.

I've tried powering it down, doing the "fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product" with no other devices attached, attaching the fire and it won't work. It boots up exactly as if I just hit power. I never get anything saying it's going into fastboot mode. The PC doesn't give me the standard "new hardware doink" either. Is this a case for buying one of those factory cables and trying that?

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
I haven't been able to use the KFA to get this thing out of the boot loop.

Now that I have a factory cable, I can get the KF HD 7 into fastboot mode. When I run the utility, it seems I get errors. Here's a snippet.

Code:
OKAY [ 94.745s]
formatting 'userdata' partition...
Erase successful, but not automatically formatting.
File system type  not supported.
OKAY [  0.004s]
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 55.273s]
formatting 'cache' partition...
OKAY [  0.003s]
finished. total time: 150.026s
Would You Like To Wipe Data And Cache (y/n) ?
erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [ 94.740s]
OKAY [  0.004s]
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 55.276s]
OKAY [  0.004s]
finished. total time: 150.024s

rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.001s

This happens when I restore to 7.2.3 or .1 I can unplug it from the PC, reboot it and come right back to the same bootloop as before. Goes through the fast movement of light on the logo, quick black screen, back to the logo and the lights again.

Wondrej

Jul 10, 2010
I haven't been able to use the KFA to get this thing out of the boot loop.

Now that I have a factory cable, I can get the KF HD 7 into fastboot mode. When I run the utility, it seems I get errors. Here's a snippet.

Code:
OKAY [ 94.745s]
OKAY [  0.004s]
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 55.273s]
OKAY [  0.003s]
finished. total time: 150.026s
Would You Like To Wipe Data And Cache (y/n) ?
erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [ 94.740s]
OKAY [  0.004s]
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 55.276s]
OKAY [  0.004s]
finished. total time: 150.024s

rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.001s

This happens when I restore to 7.2.3 or .1 I can unplug it from the PC, reboot it and come right back to the same bootloop as before. Goes through the fast movement of light on the logo, quick black screen, back to the logo and the lights again.

Just so I understand, you went to KFFA and choose to restore your kindle to 7.2.3 option? Using Factory Cable? Just asking because this is what I did to restore my kindle from bootloop and it worked just fine

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
Just so I understand, you went to KFFA and choose to restore your kindle to 7.2.3 option? Using Factory Cable? Just asking because this is what I did to restore my kindle from bootloop and it worked just fine

Yes. However, did you notice the errors in my code? It seems that the tool is unable to format the KD HD 7 for some reason. Do you think it's possible that once I'm in fastboot that I can issue a command via normal fastboot (from the command prompt) that will force the format?

File system type not supported.
OKAY [ 0.004s]
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 55.276s]
File system type not supported.

Wondrej

Jul 10, 2010
Yes. However, did you notice the errors in my code? It seems that the tool is unable to format the KD HD 7 for some reason. Do you think it's possible that once I'm in fastboot that I can issue a command via normal fastboot (from the command prompt) that will force the format?

one more question? how long have you let it on "boot loop" after you tried this? If I recall corectly I took me quiet a while to boot for the first time (like 2 minutes or so) I was actually worried at the time it didn't work, but I just let it be for few minutes and it booted.

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
one more question? how long have you let it on "boot loop" after you tried this? If I recall corectly I took me quiet a while to boot for the first time (like 2 minutes or so) I was actually worried at the time it didn't work, but I just let it be for few minutes and it booted.

I admit it was about only 1 min or so only because I watched it long enough to SEE the loop. It wasn't that the boot up was taking a long time, I saw it cycle at least twice from black to slow lens flare on the logo, then the fast flare, then a quick black screen and rinse/repeat. Being somebody who's flashed a lot of roms on tabs and phones for years, I definitely am patient with a "cook" time. This didn't seem like a settling in type issues since I saw the pattern repeat at least twice.

Wondrej

Jul 10, 2010
I admit it was about only 1 min or so only because I watched it long enough to SEE the loop. It wasn't that the boot up was taking a long time, I saw it cycle at least twice from black to slow lens flare on the logo, then the fast flare, then a quick black screen and rinse/repeat. Being somebody who's flashed a lot of roms on tabs and phones for years, I definitely am patient with a "cook" time. This didn't seem like a settling in type issues since I saw the pattern repeat at least twice.

I am with you, I am just trying to eliminate the easy problems first, before we start trying crazy stuff.

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
I am with you, I am just trying to eliminate the easy problems first, before we start trying crazy stuff.

Understood. When I get home, I'll boot it back up and let it sit for 5 mins and see what happens.

I can say that at least the factory cable did put it into fastboot mode properly whereas the stock USB cables did not. Is there a fastboot command that can be done to tell it to format those areas it is having problems with? The inability to format userdata and cache worries me.

Wondrej

Jul 10, 2010
Understood. When I get home, I'll boot it back up and let it sit for 5 mins and see what happens.

I can say that at least the factory cable did put it into fastboot mode properly whereas the stock USB cables did not. Is there a fastboot command that can be done to tell it to format those areas it is having problems with? The inability to format userdata and cache worries me.

Code:
fastboot
usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
  update <filename>                        reflash device from update.zip
  flashall                                 flash boot + recovery + system
  flash <partition> [ <filename> ]         write a file to a flash partition
  erase <partition>                        erase a flash partition
[B]  format <partition>                       format a flash partition[/B]
  getvar <variable>                        display a bootloader variable
  boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]              download and boot kernel
  flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]    create bootimage and flash it
  devices                                  list all connected devices
  continue                                 continue with autoboot
  reboot                                   reboot device normally
  reboot-bootloader                        reboot device into bootloader
  help                                     show this help message

options:
  -w                                       erase userdata and cache (and format
                                           if supported by partition type)
  -u                                       do not first erase partition before
                                           formatting
  -s <specific device>                     specify device serial number
                                           or path to device port
  -l                                       with "devices", lists device paths
  -p <product>                             specify product name
  -c <cmdline>                             override kernel commandline
  -i <vendor id>                           specify a custom USB vendor id
  -b <base_addr>                           specify a custom kernel base address
  -n <page size>                           specify the nand page size. default:
  -S <size>[K|M|G]                         automatically sparse files greater th
an
                                           size.  0 to disable

AFAIK KFFA only runs fastboot commands so I am not sure if you'll get different result by using fastboot directly, also I have no idea how to format the partitions properly tbh.

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
Code:
fastboot
usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
  update <filename>                        reflash device from update.zip
  flashall                                 flash boot + recovery + system
  flash <partition> [ <filename> ]         write a file to a flash partition
  erase <partition>                        erase a flash partition
[B]  format <partition>                       format a flash partition[/B]
  getvar <variable>                        display a bootloader variable
  boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]              download and boot kernel
  flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]    create bootimage and flash it
  devices                                  list all connected devices
  continue                                 continue with autoboot
  reboot                                   reboot device normally
  reboot-bootloader                        reboot device into bootloader
  help                                     show this help message

options:
  -w                                       erase userdata and cache (and format
                                           if supported by partition type)
  -u                                       do not first erase partition before
                                           formatting
  -s <specific device>                     specify device serial number
                                           or path to device port
  -l                                       with "devices", lists device paths
  -p <product>                             specify product name
  -c <cmdline>                             override kernel commandline
  -i <vendor id>                           specify a custom USB vendor id
  -b <base_addr>                           specify a custom kernel base address
  -n <page size>                           specify the nand page size. default:
  -S <size>[K|M|G]                         automatically sparse files greater th
an
                                           size.  0 to disable

AFAIK KFFA only runs fastboot commands so I am not sure if you'll get different result by using fastboot directly, also I have no idea how to format the partitions properly tbh.

I'll try a manual fastboot format tonight. I can say that I booted it up when I got home from work and let it sit for 10+ mins. Yep, definitely still in the bootloop. Does anybody have any idea what might cause the format to think the media is invalid? Could somebody have tried to flash the wrong kind of rom to this device?

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
I'll try a manual fastboot format tonight. I can say that I booted it up when I got home from work and let it sit for 10+ mins. Yep, definitely still in the bootloop. Does anybody have any idea what might cause the format to think the media is invalid? Could somebody have tried to flash the wrong kind of rom to this device?

Use the fastboot cord and this tool http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1951254 wipe first then restore. This tool works great. Sounds like someone bootlooped their tablet and called it untested because they knew it was not working proper. Their loss will be your gain.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running Paranoid Android [4.3 JB] using xda app-developers

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
Use the fastboot cord and this tool http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1951254 wipe first then restore. This tool works great. Sounds like someone bootlooped their tablet and called it untested because they knew it was not working proper. Their loss will be your gain.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running Paranoid Android [4.3 JB] using xda app-developers

Amazingly, not even this tool fixed it. It wiped without any errors and I picked the option to factory reset with root, apex, play store and I get the same boot loops. I think this thing was held up against a magnet or something lol. I wonder what somebody did to it.

It's defintiely an HD 7 because it has the camera and the stripe on the back.

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Amazingly, not even this tool fixed it. It wiped without any errors and I picked the option to factory reset with root, apex, play store and I get the same boot loops. I think this thing was held up against a magnet or something lol. I wonder what somebody did to it.

This will sound repetitive but try it again. One time it took five time. Also, when it first starts, it will blink 3 times and then stay solid on the KF logo and then look like a normal boot up. Let the ROM have some time to finish cooking. If it blinks more than 5 times, its another bootloop. A bootloop is pretty much always fixable.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM 10.2 using xda app-developers

---------- Post added at 02:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 AM ----------

Just checking that you have SDK installed http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oaNM-lt_aHw&desktop_uri=/watch?v=oaNM-lt_aHw There is a guy on here named stunts and his modified drivers have saved many a KFHD. Maybe give them a try. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=44446906&postcount=9

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM 10.2 using xda app-developers

mrkhigh

Dec 6, 2012
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 3
Just curious did you try the restore tool instead of kffa yet? Second question might try installing the second boot loader and see if you can get twrp installed then push a rom to it.

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app