[TUTORIAL] How to repack a kernel with offline tool

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GUIDE
    how to repack a kernel using Thunder07's Toolkit

Hi guys!
    This is simply a guide to repack a kernel using Thunder’s Flasher tool
    I will not write down how to flash a kernel on our HTC one X because if you are reading this you already know how to do that ;)

CREDITS
    First of all, all the credits and thanks go to @Thunder07 and to the kernels and roms developers…
    In this tutorial I’ll use XMkernel #13 for sense rom and ViperX 4.0.6, so thanks to @Xmister, @RichmondoUK, @Mr Hofs, @Brds7t7, @DroidIt!, @E, @Patrics83, @Snah001, @Alex-V and all the others who helped me to learn how to customize my HOX :D

REQUIREMENTS

kernel provided with rom
    custom kernel you want to repack
    Thunder's toolkit

DISCLAIMER

i'm not responsible for bricked devices, bad repacks, failures in your personal life or the end of humanity ;)
    if you use my guide and follow my instructions, then you accept the disclaimer :)

LET'S START!

First of all, download the kernel zip you want to repack and place it in a folder you can easily find; do the same with the rom zip. Extract the boot.img from both zips and rename them so you can easily recognise them (every filename is good if it has .img extension; i usually rename the final repacked image as "boot.img" before flashing it).

In this guide I’ll rename stock ViperX boot.img “boot_406_stock.img” and XMkernel #13 boot.img “sense_boot_13.img” and I’ll refer to them this way from now on.

After you download the toolkit, unpack it where you want… DO NOT CHANGE FOLDERS INSIDE MAIN FOLDER!!! You should find something like that:

attachment.php

The next step is to copy kernel images into kernels folder, you should find something like that:

attachment.php

Now… let’s launch the toolkit!
    With the toolkit you can even flash kernel after repacking, but I prefer to repack it first and flash it via fastboot later, so I won’t plug the phone in the computer…
    Now choose “Kernel Repack”:

attachment.php

You should see something like that:

attachment.php

Now, in Kernel list choose the kernel you want to repack, in this tutorial sense_boot_13.img, and in RamDisk list choose the boot.img provided with the rom you are using, so now boot_406_stock.img
    Modules are the zip file (you already know it) but they must be flashed via recovery as they are downloaded...

Then click repack and you’ll see this in the top left corner:

attachment.php

After about 15 seconds, in the same place it will appear the following:

attachment.php

As we’ve never connected the phone, we’ll not unplug it, but this means that kernel is repacked and ready to be flashed…
    So now look inside “Repacked” folder near kernels one and you'll find repacked image:

attachment.php

Rename the repacked image in "boot.img" and then do as usual: flash it via fastboot and then flash modules via recovery ;)

Hit Thanks if you think this guide is useful ;)
    Nice job ! :) it's clean and clear.
    Good tutorial and imagine if all the people give you the :thumbup: for your work to

Sent from my Nokia 3510

to me it's more important that users find my guide useful to repack kernels for their devices than they hit thanks, but it won't be bad if they do it lol :D;)
    Hello with this tool I tried to repack miui miui official kernel with xm sense kernel but I get an error saying that the Android identifier is missing.

Does anyone know what to do?

Thanks.

Envoyé de mon HTC One X en utilisant Tapatalk

well, i've never tried miui, so maybe i'm writing a stupid thing, but have you tried aosp version instead of sense one?
    please correct me if i'm wrong :)

edit: i've just tried to repack xm aosp 17 with miui boot.img and doesn't work... i think it's a miui boot.img problem, as i've never had issues with other roms' kernels... sorry, i fear that is related to miui heavy framework tweaks :(