Music skipping/freezing when screen is off

Search This thread

Jinra321

Feb 20, 2006
I notice that whenever I play music (Pandora or Google Music) with the screen off and a bunch of recent applications, the sound will skip and stutter. This only happens when the screen is off AND when I have a bunch of recent applications open. It sounds like an issue with how JB is handling RAM, but I have 80-90% ram usage at most when it happens; or perhaps is an issue with the wakelock under heavy RAM usage. If I clear all the recent applications by holding the home button down and clicking the trash icon, this problem goes away.

Phone Info:

- Teshxx's stock T-889 rom odexed (03-05-13) 4.1.2
- Baseband T889UVALK8
- Model: GT-N7105 (I could rename to T-889 but I believe this is relevant to the issue)

Attempts to resolve:

- Wiped dalvik cache and regular cache
- Installing newer versions of Teshxx's stock odexed rom
- Wiped app data from Google Music and Pandora

Potentially related:

- I deleted the stock music player and musicFX app
- I deleted some other miscellaneous apps
- I have some tasker profiles that address both Pandora and Google Music (one is a trigger to open Pandora, the other is to increase volume of Google Music)
- I have not tried and would like to avoid doing a full system wipe

niko22225

Oct 31, 2011
Same happens to me with LG O3D in every music player (only while screen off). Even If I Use only 70 % of ram

Sent from my LG-P920 using xda app-developers app

JesseMT4G

Aug 30, 2011
Youngstown
Probably a ROM issue. I am back onto stock with my gs3 (Waiting on note 2) and have never had those issues. O have had them on different ROMS though.

I can have tons of apps open and screen off and no issues on stock. Shouldn't be a RAM issue either as 2G is plenty.

Sent from a galaxy far away!

SIGMAxB

Aug 7, 2011
Cedar Hill, Texas
I encountered a simular problem on my Samsung infuse tracked it down to cpu throttling I'd check governer and scheduler may be some screen off power save bias built in to rom maybe

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

Jinra321

Feb 20, 2006
I encountered a simular problem on my Samsung infuse tracked it down to cpu throttling I'd check governer and scheduler may be some screen off power save bias built in to rom maybe

I do believe it may be related to CPU throttling as well. I do not have powersaving enabled and also do not have have any governing apps. I have better battery stats to track my CPU speeds and battery stuff, but I'm not sure how to set governing without an app.

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012
I do believe it may be related to CPU throttling as well. I do not have powersaving enabled and also do not have have any governing apps. I have better battery stats to track my CPU speeds and battery stuff, but I'm not sure how to set governing without an app.

With a script

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

kabuk1

Could be ROM, kernel, CPU settings, etc. This happened to me last week with the CM nightlies. I installed an update & my music started stuttering like crazy when the screen was off. Turns out I had the CPU settings customized for a special kernel but hadn't reinstalled that kernel, so the phone was trying to manage the stock CM kernel with settings for the custom kernel.

Gwanatu

Oct 12, 2010
Apopka, FL
This used to happen to me before I switched to Perseus kernel. Since then I don't have the issue. Could you try that?

Jinra321

Feb 20, 2006
I tried doing a full wipe and installed teshxx's N7105 t-mo rom (4/09/13) and did not use any throttling apps (everything else stock). The music was still skipping with the screen off, but I tried setting my minimum CPU speed to 400mhz (from 200mhz) and the skipping stopped (300mhz still skips). So I'm positive it's a problem with CPU throttling now. Since it's a full wipe and I'm still having this issue, I feel that it's a hardware issue. Perhaps I should just warranty my phone.

Maktary

Oct 4, 2013
Music skipping when screen turns off

Hey guys, I didn't realize how many other people were having this problem too....

My phone is rooted and I used ROM Toolbox Pro to turn up the min CPU value from 200mhz to 400mhz and it seems to work so far. So if you can find any type of app that can up your minimum value on your CPU it might do the trick. Because that stutter is super annoying....

I will keep you guys up to date if this doesn't work. But so far so good.

tony yayo

Oct 15, 2010
Chicago
I noticed the same thing on my note 10.1 tab. Fully stock, first day i got it it did that with Google play music. Only noticed it that one time though. I'll report back if it happens again.

Top Liked Posts