3G fix for Thunderbolt

Search This thread

wakestrong

Mar 22, 2011
LTE is back online, please follow steps at the bottom of this post to get everything back in order.
*If you are in a 4G area it is advisable to make sure you switch to eHRPD to avoid bad hand offs between 4G and 3G as well as allowing simultaneous voice without hiccups. I noticed my GPS was not working last night so it is possible eHRPD settings will affect your gps or it could have just been due to the network issues.

As most are aware both the LTE network and eHPRD are down (a special version of 3G for the Thunderbolt only). To get 3G data back you just need to change your settings back to the normal 3G network. Here are the steps:

Dial ##778# and hit send

• A pop-up window named EPST will show up giving you 2 choices: View Mode and Edit Mode. Pick: Edit Mode.
  • Enter the Password: 000000
  • Go down to Modem Settings and pick “Rev A“
  • You’ll want to choose enable and click OK, hit the menu button and then press “Commit Modifications.”
  • Restart your phone and you should see 3G is working

last step (may not be necessary)

dial *#*#4636#*#* go to phone info, then set preferred network type to CDMA auto (PRL)

I hope this helps anyone that is left in the dark by this outage.

If you are running a non-stock dialer or a rom that included a dialer it may prevent you from entering settings. Flash this zip to go back to stock dialer
http://www.mediafire.com/?9yf09ri4t2mip4z

For those that want instructions for after LTE is back on

These 2 steps will put you back on LTE and then put you back on the correct 3G for the Thunderbolt, when its back up.

dial *#*#4636#*#* to get LTE, go to phone info, set preferred network type to CDMA + LTE EvDo auto

Dial ##778# and hit send
  • A pop-up window named EPST will show up giving you 2 choices: View Mode and Edit Mode. Pick: Edit Mode.
  • You’ll want to choose eHRPD and click OK, hit the menu button and then press “Commit Modifications.”

Last edited:

taypotts

Mar 28, 2009
twitter.com
As most are aware both the LTE network and eHPRD are down (a special version of 3G for the Thunderbolt only). To get 3G data back you just need to change your settings back to the normal 3G network. Here are the steps:

Dial ##778# and hit send

• You’ll want to choose eHRPD and click OK, hit the menu button and then press “Commit Modifications.”

Isn't this selected by default? I changed it to "enabled" let it reboot, and 3G is back on.

wakestrong

Mar 22, 2011
By default we are setup for the eHPRD 3G network on the Thunderbolt because it allows faster switching between 4G and 3G. Since both network features are down you have to switch your settings to the 3G network used by all other Verizon phones.

nkd

Aug 12, 2010

Dial ##778# and hit send

eHRPD is the new 3g in thunderbolt I believe you need to select enable.

nkd

Aug 12, 2010
By default we are setup for the eHPRD 3G network on the Thunderbolt because it allows faster switching between 4G and 3G. Since both network features are down you have to switch your settings to the 3G network used by all other Verizon phones.

yea but in your instructions you said select eHPRD, which is already selected.

Reactions: taypotts

nkd

Aug 12, 2010
one more step guys, if you are on auto cdma/lte settings, you might have to go in to

*#*#4636#*#* and select phone info and then select EVDO only to get 3g under preffered network settings.

It would be nice if you could add this to OP wakestrong. I think people in 4g area have cdma/lte auto option enabled so in the phone settings the phone is still trying to pick up the older cdma.

Last edited:

Nate14

Mar 10, 2010
Colorado
So this has worked for everyone? I tried this earlier with no luck and just did it again with no luck either :/

AndroidGraphix

Apr 4, 2011
Paradise Valley, AZ

Dial ##778# and hit send

• You’ll want to choose enable and click OK, hit the menu button and then press “Commit Modifications.”

edit 2 suggested by NKD: one more step guys, if you are on auto cdma/lte settings, you might have to go in to

*#*#4636#*#* and select EVDO only to get 3g.

My thunderbolt worked on auto cdma/lte but this may cause less conflict.

Thanks a million! It worked. Good night, I was on 1x ever since I flashed the stock rom. I thought for a while it was an error on my part. Talk about bad timing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LTE is back online, please follow steps at the bottom of this post to get everything back in order.
    *If you are in a 4G area it is advisable to make sure you switch to eHRPD to avoid bad hand offs between 4G and 3G as well as allowing simultaneous voice without hiccups. I noticed my GPS was not working last night so it is possible eHRPD settings will affect your gps or it could have just been due to the network issues.

Dial ##778# and hit send

• Restart your phone and you should see 3G is working

last step (may not be necessary)

dial *#*#4636#*#* go to phone info, then set preferred network type to CDMA auto (PRL)

If you are running a non-stock dialer or a rom that included a dialer it may prevent you from entering settings. Flash this zip to go back to stock dialer
    http://www.mediafire.com/?9yf09ri4t2mip4z

For those that want instructions for after LTE is back on

These 2 steps will put you back on LTE and then put you back on the correct 3G for the Thunderbolt, when its back up.

dial *#*#4636#*#* to get LTE, go to phone info, set preferred network type to CDMA + LTE EvDo auto

Dial ##778# and hit send

yea but in your instructions you said select eHPRD, which is already selected.
    Do all this steps.
    1. I dial ##778#
    2.tap edit mode
    3.password. is 000000
    4.tap on modem settings
    5.tap Rev.A
    6.Tap on enable
    7.Tap on the menu on your phone
    8.Tap on Commit modifications
    And after you do that your phone should reboot and you should have 3g

THEN AFTER THE REBOOT

Dial *#*#4636#*#*
    Okay now scroll to the bottom. the box should say "LTE MODE" I have no 4G service in my area. So I only got. 1x. I changed my radio settings to auto PRL. Its 3G only saves battery. And for. 3G and LTE
    Is (CDMA+LTE/EvDo) then after just press the home button then. 1x will disappear then 3G will appear :) there you go. Ladies and gentlemen
    Your favorite android :)

-Monky_1
    I can confirm that it doesn't work with AOSP contacts on this rom. I flashed back to stock contacts and did get the menu, so it isn't the rom. Mine was already set to Rev A.

So far this morning I've gone between 3G and nothing. This is with the CDMA+LTE/Evdo Auto setting and the leaked radio.

Enabled? Did you activate your phone in a 3G only area? If so I think this would explain why your phone was on this setting
    Question.....I live in NW Indiana, not a LTE area, Chicago is about 45 miles away from me, which has LTE. However I have had NO 3G since sometime Tues/Wed. Did this "fix" and now have 3G.

Why would this affect me if not in a LTE area? Or is it coming?

You were on the thunderbolt's 3G network, which went down when the LTE went down. Currently our phone is the only one to use this type of 3G which allows simultaneous voice and data (this was a selling point for the Bolt).