[APP] SnapSwap - Android Photoswap clone

Search This thread

Ciela

Aug 20, 2010
Perth
Hi all :)

Im new here so I hope this is posted right. Ive developed an Android app that is similar to the iPhone Photoswap app. For those not aware, Photoswap lets you take a photo and send it to a random person, and you will in return receive a random photo back. You can then take part in picture-conversations with the person who you received a photo from.

Ive had a couple people testing my app and it seems to just about ready (apart from using the default app icon), and I'd like to put it out there for others to start using (and hopefully provide some feedback on :)) Im new to android development (although not new to programming itself), and this is my first android app. IMHO it works better than the similar Picswap app that exists already, as this doesnt force-close constantly or throw-out error messages regarding "corrupt" images :)

I have attached the APK with my post for anyone who wishes to download and install it :)

There is a known issue with the app at the moment that it does not (at least on HTC devices) delete any photos that you have taken, and they still appear in your Photos app. From what Ive found, using the camera Intent saves 2 copies of the photo to the SD card, and Ive only found one path from the URI to delete (so 1 copy is deleted, but the other remains). These can be deleted from the Photos app still however, but Im looking into how to delete these automatically from the app also.

Edit: The app also starts with a blank screen (no default image yet), just press the menu key to begin :)

Edit 16th September: New APK uploaded, fixes some threading issues and adds debug log output. Please download and install this as the old one may continue to run in the background and not pause properly when changing apps.

For those having issues, please use aLogCat (from the market) and filter by "SnapSwap" to access the debug log. Please PM me a copy of this along with your phone model and android version and I will look into it :) Most issues so far seem to be with Cyanogen Mod and Motorola users

Attachments

• Snapswap.apk
    13.9 KB · Views: 2,079
Last edited:

redbull320

Jun 27, 2010
Salzgitter
hay, i'm one of the beta testers,

and this app is really nice ;)
i hope the optic would be a bit better in the next beta :p , but it makes fun to "swapping" pictures with other testers !

it is much faster then "a world of photo" it never take longer then 10sec since i get a picture ;)

Really nice and weLL done :p

Greetings from germany !

Last edited:

Ciela

Aug 20, 2010
Perth
:) Im going to try make an icon for it soon along with a default image to be shown as well, and adjust the polling time with the server for replies (or even look at adding a push notification system to it)

Ciela

Aug 20, 2010
Perth
Just updated the APK in my original post to fix some bugs as at least one user was not being assigned a unique ID properly, updated the server to watch for this also.

For those that have already installed the app, I recommend installing this one over it :)

If those that have installed it could provide some feedback it would also be greatly appreciated :)

seaman2k

Jul 19, 2010
suez
nice idea i like it , i will share my photo with others sounds good
i will feed u back:)

Phaze13

Nov 20, 2008
Oh great, twenty bucks you get some picture of some dudes junk or some other nasty pic.

Smells of Chatroulette.........

D

Deleted member 2736178

FC on me each time right after I take the picture and press the OK button
:mad:

G1 Dream CM6 stable

Ciela

Aug 20, 2010
Perth
Oh great, twenty bucks you get some picture of some dudes junk or some other nasty pic.

Smells of Chatroulette.........

There has not been any unwanted material sent via it as yet. Im looking into the best way to ban those that would at the moment. As it is currently though, devices are only identified via a unique ID provided by the server the first time the device accesses it, and this is extremely simple to get around if I were to "block" a device.

To those that have had force-closures: Can you please let me know the following..
1) Do you have an SD Card installed?
2) What device are you using?
3) What version of Android are you running?

johnny12times

Sep 29, 2007
Albuquerque
Works great for me on Samsung Vibrant. I only get one copy of the pictures (that I take), then of course the temp files SnapSwapImg.jpg (the last pic I took) and SnapSwapImg2.jpg (the last one I received). I totally dig the application! You can reply to pictures (of course, with other pictures), receive replies, and even continue your "pic conversation" with that individual. Yeah, you could end up with a dude's (or chick's, though I doubt there'd be many complaining) junk in exchange for your picture, but putting in any kind of regulation for something like that just ruins the whole point of the application. Can't wait to see this adopted by more people. :)

dEris

Nov 6, 2009
Dallas Texas
google.com
This is just like the PicRoulette app. You take a picture, and it sends you the latest picture someone else just took.

Sent from my FroyoEris using Tapatalk

sfsucaesar

Jul 10, 2009
Oakland, CA
Force close on my Milestone default camera app (2.1)
stuck on "swapping picture" using camera 360

Edit: it works fine when i am on Wi-fi

Last edited: