[provider unlock] samsung galaxy 551 GT-i5510

Search This thread

alucka

Feb 2, 2009
Hi,
I have purchased a 5510 for one of my parents, without Contract, but blocked by a French provider: "Bouygues Telecom".
I think that's going to be easy to unlock, but I have not yet find how.
The phone has been flashed on the latest stock rom samsung (samfirmware) and it is not root.
if the root is necessary, what app or software is needed? and how to unlock?

ps: as a purchase without Contract, I can not ask my provider to unlock it.

alucka

Feb 2, 2009
[solved]

this solution works for me with the last rom samsung and rooted by "SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse".

it's in french, so good luck with google translate! :)

phonandroid.com/forum/desimlocker-samsung-ace-s5830-en-invite-de-commande-t4206.html

Reactions: JT-on

JT-on

Jul 11, 2012
Ontario
this solution works for me with the last rom samsung and rooted by "SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse".

phonandroid.com/forum/desimlocker-samsung-ace-s5830-en-invite-de-commande-t4206.html

I can confirm this works on my I5510M from Bell Mobility. I just tried it using a TELUS sim card.

Here are the steps I took:

0. Type in dial pad *#7465625#, make sure network lock is [ON]... if not you're not simlocked
1. If phone is not rooted, download SuperOneClickv2.2-ShortFuse.zip from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682
2. Connect the phone to your computer using, windows 7 installed the correct drivers for me
3. Once the drivers are installed, disconnect your phone
4. Open SuperOneClick
5. Reconnect your phone to the computer
6. Press Root in SuperOneClick... wait for it to finish (may take ~2-5 min)
7. Your phone is now rooted, hooray
8. Make sure your phone is in debug mode. Settings > Applications > Developer > Debug Mode
9. Copy ADB folder from SuperOneClick folder to C:\
10. Open command prompt (start > run > cmd)
11. Type in the following commands:
Code:
cd C:/adb (navigate to the adb folder you just placed)
adb devices (to verify device is connected)
adb shell
su
cat /dev/bml5>/sdcard/bml5.img (thats an "L" not a "one")
exit

You just copied bml5 binary to the root of your sdcard. If you get access denied, your phone was not properly rooted, try again.

12. Mount your SDCard and copy bml5.img to your desktop
13. Download HexEdit here: http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~prewett/hexedit/
14. Open bml5.img in HexEdit
15. Press FIND, select HEX, and paste in "FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30" (without quotes), then press OK
16. It should find the hex sequence, look to the right pane of HexEdit and you'll see an 8-digit numeric code (mine was split over two lines). This is your sim unlock code. Write down this code.
17. Turn off your phone
18. Place another networks simcard in your phone, and turn your phone back on
19. After it boots, it'll say this phone is network locked, and prompt for an unlock code... type the code found in step 16
20. If it doesn't prompt type in in the dialer: #7465625*638*# then type in your code
21. It should unlock no problem
22. Double check by typing *#7465625# in the dialer and making sure Network Lock is [OFF]

Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers.

falcon09

Jan 6, 2013
stuasmo City

I can confirm this works on my I5510M from Bell Mobility. I just tried it using a TELUS sim card.

0. Type in dial pad *#7465625#, make sure network lock is [ON]... if not you're not simlocked
1. If phone is not rooted, download SuperOneClickv2.2-ShortFuse.zip from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682
2. Connect the phone to your computer using, windows 7 installed the correct drivers for me
4. Open SuperOneClick
8. Make sure your phone is in debug mode. Settings > Applications > Developer > Debug Mode
Code:
adb shell
su
exit

You just copied bml5 binary to the root of your sdcard. If you get access denied, your phone was not properly rooted, try again.

15. Press FIND, select HEX, and paste in "FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30" (without quotes), then press OK
16. It should find the hex sequence, look to the right pane of HexEdit and you'll see an 8-digit numeric code (mine was split over two lines). This is your sim unlock code. Write down this code.
17. Turn off your phone
19. After it boots, it'll say this phone is network locked, and prompt for an unlock code... type the code found in step 16
20. If it doesn't prompt type in in the dialer: #7465625*638*# then type in your code
22. Double check by typing *#7465625# in the dialer and making sure Network Lock is [OFF]

Thanks, I can find the hexstrings 24 times in the image file but none of them has a 8 digit numeric string close by.

Reactions: harkaransingh27

falcon09

Jan 6, 2013
For unlocking purpose I need to copy /dev/bml15, I was able to access it but after flashing I can't access it any more,any ideas?

/dev/bml15: No such device or address

thanks.
# id
id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
# ls -l /dev/bml15
ls -l /dev/bml15
brwxrwx--- root root 137, 15 2013-01-06 14:54 bml15
# ls -l /dev/block/bml15
ls -l /dev/block/bml15
/dev/block/bml15: No such file or directory
# cat /dev/bml15 > /sdcard/bml15.img
cat /dev/bml15 > /sdcard/bml15.img
# dd if=/dev/bml15 of=/sdcard/bml15.img
dd if=/dev/bml15 of=/sdcard/bml15.img
/dev/bml15: cannot open for read: No such device or address
# ls -l /dev/bml15
ls -l /dev/bml15
brwxrwx--- root root 137, 15 2013-01-06 14:54 bml15
# which cat
which cat
/system/bin/cat
# id
id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
# uname -a
uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.32.9-perf #21 PREEMPT Fri Jun 10 11:53:15 IST 2011 armv6l GNU/Linux
#

cstuckless

Jan 8, 2013
Worked for me - also a GT-i5510 from Bell

Thanks, I can find the hexstrings 24 times in the image file but none of them has a 8 digit numeric string close by.

I found it a few lines up from where the first occurrence of the string was. In the Hex editor, try scrolling up a few lines and see if there's an 8 digit code that isn't 00000000 - my stuck out like a sore thumb once I went back a few lines.

cstuckless

Jan 8, 2013
For unlocking purpose I need to copy /dev/bml15, I was able to access it but after flashing I can't access it any more,any ideas?

Are you trying to copy /dev/bml15 or /dev/bml5? The instructions I followed were for /dev/bml5 and that worked for my phone.

Colin

likhil2k3

Aug 5, 2010
that's awesome !!! was able to do mine.. I'm too happy to search for this thing as i was going to pay for the unlock... Thanks for sharing this buddy !!

kortsen

Feb 9, 2012
Another Bell success story

My wife is on Bell and I'm on Telus. The only reason she hasn't switched is that Telus doesn't have a QWERTY phone she likes. These instructions worked flawlessly on her 551. XP found and installed the drivers with no problems. I used ES File Manager to copy bml5.img from the SD card to a shared folder on the XP machine via WiFi. When I ran the hex editor there was only one match for the hex search string and I scrolled up 2 lines and saw the code. I popped my Telus SIM in her phone and when it powered up it prompted me for an unlock code. I entered the code and made a couple of test calls.

I have attached a prtscr of the hex editor with the search string hilighted. Note that it's repeated 3 times and the scroll bar shows it's near the end of the file.

Attachments

• hexedit.jpg
    hexedit.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 558

dixonlynch

Aug 9, 2010
greetings and thanks...

Excellent contribution, I have a GT-I5510L and follow his footsteps, at first the computer gave me two errors but it was nothing serious, and then did the miracle, but the hex editor to use was the XVI32, I saw a little more faster and easier to use.

TripArtist

Dec 11, 2011
Kelowna
I can vouch that this method works great. Purchased a Bell branded phone for my wife (she broke her S3), followed the steps and voila!

Kudos. :)

Jeremy10001000

Aug 13, 2014
Saint John
Read Only?

when I do the command "cat /dev/bml5>/sdcard/bml5.img" I get an error saying "cannot create /sdcard/bml5.img: read-only file system"
Help anyone?! xD

importpsycho

Sep 8, 2011
THANKS JT-ON!
Grandpa needed simple phone for just making phone call, I had 551 collecting dust but those online unlocking sites were asking $25~$30 for unlock code, which is probably more than what phone is worth...
unlocked mine following your instruction!

just want let everyone this works but you have to use HexEdit, nothing else.
URL on JT's guide is not working, i downloaded some other random Hex reader and it did not find the FF FF 30 30....
I found HexEdit from some other site and it found FF FF 30 30 sequence no problem.

walidmel

Dec 8, 2011

4. Open SuperOneClick
Code:
adb shell
su
exit

17. Turn off your phone

work ok thank you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

4. Open SuperOneClick
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    exit

17. Turn off your phone

[solved]

stuasmo City

4. Open SuperOneClick
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    exit

17. Turn off your phone