Thinking of getting a 16GB tab s

Search This thread

unclespoon

Feb 8, 2011
Seattle, WA
If you like gaming I'd definitely say this is the best tablet out. For the rest of the tasks it gets the job done too. It's tough too - I've dropped mine from waist height twice without any damage - not to say you should give it a try... There isn't a tablet out there that I'd rather have, and that's saying a lot cause usually these things become outdated within months or even weeks of release!

HYPER-X10

Apr 13, 2010
www.hypertune.net
Fellow arc owner here, and and I say go for it. Very happy with my 16gb S but do note that only about half that storage is available to you. Not a problem if you plan on using a decent size sd card though.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

pcoulson

Apr 11, 2011
UK, Cumbria
Hi,

I got a 32Gb a week after it was released in the UK. Am very pleased with it so far. I suppose it's just a case of knowing that you aren't going to be able to do anything all that different with it, other than the things you can already do with a laptop. It's for emails / surfing / social networking and the bits and bobs you can already do with an Android phone.

The overall size is very good and the screen is crystal clear. The speakers are disappointing. I found installing ASWLauncher EX was a big bonus - speeds up the UI and gives you room for more apps in a dock along the bottom of your 5 screens.

I've put a 32Gb full size SD card in the slot, and am using MX Video Player app to play movies from it, and PowerAmp to play mp3s from it.

I'd highly recommend getting the dock, as it means less use of the power cable, which feels a bit flimsy and gives you the impression that it could easily be broken. It also turns the tab into a nice picture-frame!

For transferring files to and from the tablet, I'd recommend FTPServer on the tablet (https://market.android.com/details?id=lutey.FTPServer&hl=en), and Filezilla on a pc/laptop. This removes the need to constantly put a cable in the side of the device, as the transfers are done wirelessly.

I haven't scratched the screen in all the time I've had it, and don't think it would scratch without some serious force.

... Just some of my views! Hope that helps.

Silver-Eye

Oct 3, 2011
Faro

kryddan

Apr 25, 2011
Trollhättan
Can't say much more that hasn't already been said here,but this.

I love this machine, been downloading free ps-games from ps store, I've been downloading free movies from video unlimited. I have bought an SDXC 128GB card and formated it in FAT32 and put it into the machine. Works wonderful.

If the ps store force closes? clear cache and data and it would work again.
Got the usb-adapter cable today. it works fine with normal usb-memories. Have not tried it with my ps3-controller yet, since I'm not home.

Have not tried 720p/1080p movies on it yet, but I see no point in why. since the screen is "only" 1280*800. xvid/divx works beautiful and takes up little space.

Ok so the gfx isn't perfect on them ps-games, but what did you expect from games that old. Besides, I play games because they are enjoyable, not because they look good :)

just my two cents

wintermute000

Jul 13, 2010
don't forget emulation works perfectly too (not just the PSN store games, which BTW are emulated anyway). So you have almost the entire PSX/SNES/megadrive/neogeo/N64 library potentially available, together with wireless controllers working out of the box.

FWIW, for video decoding, I've found using apple tv presets works perfectly, and preserves 720p

Last edited:
Reactions: kryddan

IFMISM

Jul 12, 2007
Can't say much more that hasn't already been said here,but this.

I love this machine, been downloading free ps-games from ps store, I've been downloading free movies from video unlimited. I have bought an SDXC 128GB card and formated it in FAT32 and put it into the machine. Works wonderful.

If the ps store force closes? clear cache and data and it would work again.
Got the usb-adapter cable today. it works fine with normal usb-memories. Have not tried it with my ps3-controller yet, since I'm not home.

Have not tried 720p/1080p movies on it yet, but I see no point in why. since the screen is "only" 1280*800. xvid/divx works beautiful and takes up little space.

Ok so the gfx isn't perfect on them ps-games, but what did you expect from games that old. Besides, I play games because they are enjoyable, not because they look good :)

just my two cents

How are you downloading free movies

whmcal

Jul 18, 2008
I recommend that you get the 32gb version. You might be disappointed at the meagre amount of free storage on the 16gb. Plus, you cant use the SD slot to expand memory, it only transfers files

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using xda premium

Last edited:

raqball

Jun 21, 2010
New York
I recommend that you get the 32gb version. You might be disappointed at the meagre amount of free storage on the 16gb. Plus, you cant use the micro usb to expand memory, it only transfers files

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using xda premium

A 16GB SD card is waaaaay cheaper than the $100 more they charge for the 32GB model...

kryddan

Apr 25, 2011
Trollhättan
Agree, SD-card is cheaper. I got the 16Gb and got the cradle, extra AC and LCD-protection instead of 32GB version, then I bought the 128GB SDXC and formated it in FAT32 and put it into the tablet :)

IFMISM

Jul 12, 2007
I got five free rentals from Sony when I bought the tablet, that I could download from inside "Video Unlimited" app.

I just bought mine a few days ago. I keep hearing about the 5 free rentals, but cant seem to figure out how to get mine. I guess i will call sony tomorrow

kryddan

Apr 25, 2011
Trollhättan
I just bought mine a few days ago. I keep hearing about the 5 free rentals, but cant seem to figure out how to get mine. I guess i will call sony tomorrow

I registered my tablet at sony.com, I got "vouchers" on email that I could use on https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/login.action then I loged on to "video unlimited" and found the free movies in there.

The movies comes in .MNV said to be played on PS3 and PSP only. But MX Video Player can play them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I got a 32Gb a week after it was released in the UK. Am very pleased with it so far. I suppose it's just a case of knowing that you aren't going to be able to do anything all that different with it, other than the things you can already do with a laptop. It's for emails / surfing / social networking and the bits and bobs you can already do with an Android phone.

The overall size is very good and the screen is crystal clear. The speakers are disappointing. I found installing ASWLauncher EX was a big bonus - speeds up the UI and gives you room for more apps in a dock along the bottom of your 5 screens.

I've put a 32Gb full size SD card in the slot, and am using MX Video Player app to play movies from it, and PowerAmp to play mp3s from it.

I'd highly recommend getting the dock, as it means less use of the power cable, which feels a bit flimsy and gives you the impression that it could easily be broken. It also turns the tab into a nice picture-frame!

For transferring files to and from the tablet, I'd recommend FTPServer on the tablet (https://market.android.com/details?id=lutey.FTPServer&hl=en), and Filezilla on a pc/laptop. This removes the need to constantly put a cable in the side of the device, as the transfers are done wirelessly.

I haven't scratched the screen in all the time I've had it, and don't think it would scratch without some serious force.

... Just some of my views! Hope that helps.
    don't forget emulation works perfectly too (not just the PSN store games, which BTW are emulated anyway). So you have almost the entire PSX/SNES/megadrive/neogeo/N64 library potentially available, together with wireless controllers working out of the box.

FWIW, for video decoding, I've found using apple tv presets works perfectly, and preserves 720p