[APP][2.1+] Tablet Talk - Text Message (SMS) on your Tablet

Search This thread

apDroid

Mar 7, 2011
Phoenix
Tablet Talk is an application for text messaging (SMS) on tablets. It requires that the tablet be connected to an Android phone also running Tablet Talk. When a message is received on the phone, it is forwarded to the tablet. When a message is sent from the tablet, it is forwarded to the phone. The tablet and phone can be connected either via Bluetooth or a Wifi network. Tablet Talk also syncs messages you send and receive on your phone while not connected--when you connect, such messages will sync to the tablet. It has too many additional features to list, including caller ID notifications. Currently, you can mute or ignore incoming calls from the tablet, with more to come.

As of September 6th, Tablet Talk v1.0.0 has been published to the Android Market. However, the hope is that this thread will remain an active place for leaving feedback, requesting features, and releasing test versions with experimental features. As always, all suggestions and feedback are highly appreciated. If you have any questions feel free to ask here or via PM or email. Thanks for looking!

When posting issues, please include the following:

-Tablet: model/OS version and ROM (if not stock)
-Phone: model/OS version and ROM (if not stock)
-If the problem is with Bluetooth, Wifi, or both​

Wifi mode: I recommend only using Wifi on trusted, secured networks--e.g. your home network

-------------------

Known issues:
-Not receiving messages? (One of the most emailed and reported "issues":) Are you using a third party SMS app on your phone such as GoSMS or Handcent? If so, please see the FAQ of Tablet Talk's help section for detailed instructions on fixing this problem. It requires a simple and quick change to your third party SMS app's settings. For example:

Handcent: Settings->Application Settings->Default Messaging application: set to "Disable".​

Go SMS: Settings->Receive Settings->Disable other message notification: uncheck​

After configuring the third party app, please open the Android SMS app that came on your phone. Go into its settings and disable notifications. This step is to prevent double notifications for incoming messages.​

-MIUI ROMs: Make sure to allow the app permission to send SMS, otherwise it will crash on the phone whenever you try to send messages. New: disable "System MMS app priority" in MIUI's SMS app, otherwise it will block other SMS apps such as Tablet Talk or Go SMS.

-Infinite DHCP lease time: experiencing seemingly random and/or frequent disconnections when using Wifi? Please see Issue 20461 and Issue 18648 for more information. Huge thanks to Jon for this information!! This may explain some unresolved Wifi connection problems.​

-Custom ROMs/kernels: If you experience frequent disconnections with Bluetooth and/or Wifi and are not using stock firmware on your phone and/or tablet, please try a different ROM or stock firmware. There have been numerous cases where users switched to a new ROM and disconnections ceased. If you do not want to deal with the hassle of switching ROMs then just email or PM me and I will take care of you no problem!​

-Battery apps: numerous users have found that apps such as Juice Defender or CPU Tuner cause Tablet Talk to disconnect.​

-------------------
TODO:
-UI improvements
-Cool stuff​

-------------------
Changelog: (If a requested feature or reported bug is not listed then please feel free to post here or contact me again. Please note this list may be missing implemented changes)

v1.4+
-Changelog is in app's help section under "What's new"

Last edited by a moderator:

daveid

Jan 5, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Acer A500 running Honeyvillain 1.05a which is based on Acer's 3.1 release.
Nexus One running Cyanogenmod 7.1 RC1, 2.3.4.
As a daily use, I would do bluetooth. But, both worked for me (wifi disconnects randomly on my phone, so it is less preferential).
Any way to interact with the phone's notification system so that it stops the ringtone when the message is read on the tablet?

Last edited:
Reactions: JGW310 and apDroid

doaneramma

Feb 3, 2007
Saanich, BC
LG Optimus Pad 3.0.1 rooted
Motorola Atrix 2.3.4 running cherry pie
Bluetooth working great!

now if it could also have a caller id pop up like the Playbook, it would really be over the top cool!

Reactions: apDroid

apDroid

Mar 7, 2011
Phoenix
Acer A500 running Honeyvillain 1.05a which is based on Acer's 3.1 release.
Nexus One running Cyanogenmod 7.1 RC1, 2.3.4.
As a daily use, I would do bluetooth. But, both worked for me (wifi disconnects randomly on my phone, so it is less preferential).
Any way to interact with the phone's notification system so that it stops the ringtone when the message is read on the tablet?

Thank you for the feedback. When the phone disconnected, would the tablet always detect it and change to disconnected?

I am looking for a way to disable incoming text notifications on the phone without risking messages not being saved in the default SMS application inbox.

LG Optimus Pad 3.0.1 rooted
Motorola Atrix 2.3.4 running cherry pie
Bluetooth working great!

now if it could also have a caller id pop up like the Playbook, it would really be over the top cool!

That is in the next update :D

NoHousePhone

Dec 28, 2007
Using Acer with the epic 4g all running stock. Epic on eg22. Working great so far. Minor thing. Number has to be in 123-123-1234 or 1234567890. I have it connected via Bluetooth.

apDroid

Mar 7, 2011
Phoenix
Using Acer with the epic 4g all running stock. Epic on eg22. Working great so far. Minor thing. Number has to be in 123-123-1234 or 1234567890. I have it connected via Bluetooth.

Thanks! Is there a number format you were trying to use in "Compose new message" that it said was invalid? The way it is supposed to work now: it ignores any dashes, and allows any length numbers that may or may not be preceded by a +. Hence "123", "+1234", "23423234", etc are allowed.

Reactions: sixstringsg

apDroid

Mar 7, 2011
Phoenix
Quick update: by default, incoming call notifications are shown on the tablet. In the future there will be more options to control the sound and vibration for such notifications. If there is interest, conversation threads will also include call logs for received calls.

Can the icon in status bar be hidden?
My only concern is the inability of the user to know if Tablet Talk is running in the background and if so, what exactly it is doing. I will think about this more, however.

Some numbers are in (123) 123-4567 format.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Whoops, fixed. Thank you again!

andri2805

Oct 10, 2009
Aaron,
This has the potential to be something HUGE. Imagine all the people who've purchased
high-end smartphones and would like added functionality ala Playbook. Man, you could
make things such as the Asus Padphone and Moto Lap-Docks obsolete! Much luck to
you in perfecting and ENHANCING this app;fantastic effort mate.
-Andri

Phone(s) Moto MB511 Flipout Android 2.1 stock Blur
Tablet Archos 70 8GB Android 2.2 aos 2.3.81
WiFi+Bluetooth

Last edited:

apDroid

Mar 7, 2011
Phoenix
Aaron,
This has the potential to be something HUGE. Imagine all the people who've purchased high-end smartphones and would like added functionality ala Playbook. Man, you could make things such as the Asus Padphone and Moto Lap-Docks obsolete! Much luck to you in perfecting and ENHANCING this app;fantastic effort mate.
-Andri

Phone(s) Moto MB511 Flipout Android 2.1 stock Blur
Tablet Archos 70 8GB Android 2.2 aos 2.3.81
WiFi+Bluetooth

Thank you very much :)

It would be nice to be able to clear the text messages that are saved in the app.

You can delete single messages and conversations by long pressing on them, but I will add an option in settings to clear everything at once.

galt

Jun 9, 2005
Wow, this is working great over wifi. What a great app! I do think the UI could use a coat of pretty, but I'm guessing the dev efforts have been focused on functionality initially. It didn't seem to auto reconnect on the tablet (transformer, stock 3.2, rooted) after a phone call. Did I just not give it enough time, or is reconnect not yet supported?

apDroid

Mar 7, 2011
Phoenix
Update (8.10.2011):
-added options for the phone call notifications
-fixed multipart text messaging bug (sorry to those of you who were experiencing FC's!)
-added long press menu for phone
-various fixes/tweaks

The long press not working for me. The SMS are being saved on the phone side.

Great work so far.

Sorry, my mistake. Fixed :)

Wow, this is working great over wifi. What a great app! I do think the UI could use a coat of pretty, but I'm guessing the dev efforts have been focused on functionality initially. It didn't seem to auto reconnect on the tablet (transformer, stock 3.2, rooted) after a phone call. Did I just not give it enough time, or is reconnect not yet supported?

"coat of pretty" is my new favorite expression. :D

The phone automatically tries to reconnect so that you do not have to get up and find it if it's on the other side of the house. Originally the Tablet also automatically attempted to reconnect, but I removed it and forgot to add it back. It will be back in the next update along with options to control its behavior.

Is it disconnecting every time you receive a phone call? It should not be doing this. Is anyone else experience this problem?

Last edited:

NoHousePhone

Dec 28, 2007
Delete messages fixed.

Maybe a future feature to be able to answer the phone thru the tablet would be cool.

If a contact has more than one mobile number I can only choose one.

Last edited:

UKseagull

Apr 28, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 / S7 Plus
Great app idea, good luck with it!

I couldn't manage to connect via wifi but it's worked with Bluetooth.

HTC Desire (Baadnewz Stock Gingerbread rom).
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7510

Edit: The hideous green icon has to go! :)

Last edited:

andri2805

Oct 10, 2009
I actually love its' UI's simplicity. Looks professional and uncluttered.If you're gonna change it,make it a downloadable option,TabletTalk's small size is greatly appreciated. Volume when i get calls is really soft,though. I installed it for my 66yr old father and he got used to it in a flash. Keep up the great work! (Just refine already available features)
Now running on 3 different users+combos.

1. Moto MB511 2.1blur+ Archos 70IT 2.2aos, BT/Wifi
2. Moto XT720 2.1stock+ Xoom MZ602 3G 3.1stock, BT/Wifi
3. Moto MB511 2.1blur+ Xoom MZ604 Wifi 3.1stock, BT only

apDroid

Mar 7, 2011
Phoenix
Delete messages fixed.

Maybe a future feature to be able to answer the phone thru the tablet would be cool.

If a contact has more than one mobile number I can only choose one.

When you manually enter his or her phone number in "Compose Message", or the contact chooser, or both?

Great app idea, good luck with it!

I couldn't manage to connect via wifi but it's worked with Bluetooth.

HTC Desire (Baadnewz Stock Gingerbread rom).
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7510

Edit: The hideous green icon has to go! :)

Thanks! Is the WiFi network your home's or work's? The WiFi mode will not work on all networks due to individual network settings. If it's your own home network, check to see if the default port is open.

I actually love its' UI's simplicity. Looks professional and uncluttered.If you're gonna change it,make it a downloadable option,TabletTalk's small size is greatly appreciated. Volume when i get calls is really soft,though. I installed it for my 66yr old father and he got used to it in a flash. Keep up the great work! (Just refine already available features)
Now running on 3 different users+combos.

1. Moto MB511 2.1blur+ Archos 70IT 2.2aos, BT/Wifi
2. Moto XT720 2.1stock+ Xoom MZ602 3G 3.1stock, BT/Wifi
3. Moto MB511 2.1blur+ Xoom MZ604 Wifi 3.1stock, BT only

Hah that's great, thanks. Does increasing the tablet's volume increase the sound notification volume?

I am adding a setting for a lighter-colored theme. In the future I will implement third party options for themes.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tablet Talk is an application for text messaging (SMS) on tablets. It requires that the tablet be connected to an Android phone also running Tablet Talk. When a message is received on the phone, it is forwarded to the tablet. When a message is sent from the tablet, it is forwarded to the phone. The tablet and phone can be connected either via Bluetooth or a Wifi network. Tablet Talk also syncs messages you send and receive on your phone while not connected--when you connect, such messages will sync to the tablet. It has too many additional features to list, including caller ID notifications. Currently, you can mute or ignore incoming calls from the tablet, with more to come.

As of September 6th, Tablet Talk v1.0.0 has been published to the Android Market. However, the hope is that this thread will remain an active place for leaving feedback, requesting features, and releasing test versions with experimental features. As always, all suggestions and feedback are highly appreciated. If you have any questions feel free to ask here or via PM or email. Thanks for looking!

When posting issues, please include the following:

-Tablet: model/OS version and ROM (if not stock)
    -Phone: model/OS version and ROM (if not stock)
    -If the problem is with Bluetooth, Wifi, or both​

Wifi mode: I recommend only using Wifi on trusted, secured networks--e.g. your home network

-------------------

Known issues:
    -Not receiving messages? (One of the most emailed and reported "issues":) Are you using a third party SMS app on your phone such as GoSMS or Handcent? If so, please see the FAQ of Tablet Talk's help section for detailed instructions on fixing this problem. It requires a simple and quick change to your third party SMS app's settings. For example:

Handcent: Settings->Application Settings->Default Messaging application: set to "Disable".​

Go SMS: Settings->Receive Settings->Disable other message notification: uncheck​

After configuring the third party app, please open the Android SMS app that came on your phone. Go into its settings and disable notifications. This step is to prevent double notifications for incoming messages.​

-MIUI ROMs: Make sure to allow the app permission to send SMS, otherwise it will crash on the phone whenever you try to send messages. New: disable "System MMS app priority" in MIUI's SMS app, otherwise it will block other SMS apps such as Tablet Talk or Go SMS.

-Infinite DHCP lease time: experiencing seemingly random and/or frequent disconnections when using Wifi? Please see Issue 20461 and Issue 18648 for more information. Huge thanks to Jon for this information!! This may explain some unresolved Wifi connection problems.​

-Custom ROMs/kernels: If you experience frequent disconnections with Bluetooth and/or Wifi and are not using stock firmware on your phone and/or tablet, please try a different ROM or stock firmware. There have been numerous cases where users switched to a new ROM and disconnections ceased. If you do not want to deal with the hassle of switching ROMs then just email or PM me and I will take care of you no problem!​

-Battery apps: numerous users have found that apps such as Juice Defender or CPU Tuner cause Tablet Talk to disconnect.​

-------------------
    TODO:
    -UI improvements
    -Cool stuff​

-------------------
    Changelog: (If a requested feature or reported bug is not listed then please feel free to post here or contact me again. Please note this list may be missing implemented changes)

v1.4+
    -Changelog is in app's help section under "What's new"
    Is it possible to increase the font? Despite selecting the font size, not every font became bigger

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Yes sir

I know this was requested a while back but was just wondering if adding cell phone signal bar readout is still in the pipeline?

Yep, just finishing testing for group MMS and some other things.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    Sorry for the delay everyone, here is the changelog for version 1.3.2 which is just about ready for private testing:

-Significant UI changes
    --New messages are bolded instead of highlighted
    --Current conversation is marked in inbox
    --Nice, subtle fade animation when opening conversations
    --Chat "bubbles" have a smaller maximum width
    --"Modern" settings on devices with Honeycomb and above
    --Much better help section
    --Etc

-More useful pop up menu when pressing connect button
    --Quick WiFi/Bluetooth toggle
    --In Wifi mode, quick access to port/IP settings
    --In Bluetooth, quick access to run connection setup on tablet and to enable discovery on phone

-Much more functional caller ID*

-Messages sent from the phone while connected sync to the tablet

-New Wifi user experience
    --No more "Connection wizard" hassle
    --Phone's IP is remembered for each network for quick reconnecting
    --If the phone's IP address changes or on a new network then no further action is necessary. Tablet Talk will automatically find phone

-Much more

*Shortly after 1.3.2 is released, 1.3.3 will be released to fix new bugs and "complete" the caller ID's abilities

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda premium
    I've read it not possible to answer calls on the tablet because of security permissions on 2.3
    Is it possible between ICS tablet & ICS phone?

Also in that regard
    with WebKey you can press the answer button
    Can you check out they make it? it works between my ICS tablet & CM7 phone ( of course it supports every browser )
    I understand that it's a bit different application but I thought it might help

The next version enhances the caller ID feature... and yes the biggest hurdle is 2.3. I don't want to say too much yet. Once ignoring/muting calls (and ending calls) is stable with 2.3 then the whole package will be there.
    Quick update to fix crashes and a few other things! Check OP. Logging will be an option in the next version.

For those of you running custom ROMs, connectitivity might be an issue with the ROM itself. I ran virtuous galaxy on my Acer a500 and would not connect. Now using Virtuous Picasso and connects perfectly. If you have such issues, try flashing a different ROM to determine whether the issue needs to be reported to the ROM developer or with Aaron here. Also look into any issues with Bluetooth or wifi that may have been reported with your specific custom tablet ROM or custom phone ROM.

I've been helping Aaron test thoroughly and reporting issues as they come up. I can tell you that he has been working extensively at all hours of the day to fix bugs as well as pack as many useful features into this baby. So please continue to report any issues as well as opinions/thoughts, you're help is greatly appreciated I'm sure we are all looking forward to a final release.

Just so everyone knows, Motempo is a good friend and the one who contacted me back in May to ask if I could make this app. So if you like Tablet Talk, be sure to thank him, too. He has helped test and think of new features from the earliest of versions.

My issue wasn't with the ROM but the application itself :p

Thank you for helping solve the problem, let me know if this update fixes the FC even when your notifications are set to silent.

I need some help. I have a nexus s, stock rom, trying to connect to my xoom, stock, to run the program. I tried connecting the Bluetooth and the program never connected, tried wifi and entered my IP address of my phone and program did not find it.

Please try the newest version. For Bluetooth, have your devices previously been paired? If not, did you run the connection wizard on the tablet while the phone had discoverable mode enabled?

For WiFi, could your tablet find your phone's IP address when running the setup wizard and the phone was in discoverable mode? If not, then the default port is probably no good. Try 8080 instead (be sure to change the port on both devices)

Also, a general note I forgot to emphasize, for discoverable mode to work in conjunction with the tablet's connection wizard, the phone has to be in the same mode as the tablet.

Do you think you could use the MAC addresses of the devices to connect since that's always static no matter what connection you're on? Just a thought.

To be honest, I don't really know. It probably depends if you can ask your router for a client's IP address based upon its MAC address. I'll try to find out.