Phone stuck on Samsung Galaxy S III screen after aborted 4.3 update!

Search This thread

ctbaker

Aug 23, 2010
Hi,

I went and rooted, unlocked the bootloader and THOUGHT that CWM Touch Recovery was installed using the Beans script on a 4.1.2 Galaxy S3. I went ahead and told the phone to take the OTA as I thought that it would reject it and then not ask any more. After part way through the install, I pulled the battery because I realized (pretty sure) that the CWM recovery hadn't installed properly and the stock recovery had booted up at the end of the script process.

Now the phone gets stuck at the Samsung Galaxy S III screen and wont boot. I can get into download mode and see the following:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

What do I do now? Am I committed to using Odin to put on the Verizon official 4.3 Firmware and can I do something else?

Thanks!

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
Hi,

I went and rooted, unlocked the bootloader and THOUGHT that CWM Touch Recovery was installed using the Beans script on a 4.1.2 Galaxy S3. I went ahead and told the phone to take the OTA as I thought that it would reject it and then not ask any more. After part way through the install, I pulled the battery because I realized (pretty sure) that the CWM recovery hadn't installed properly and the stock recovery had booted up at the end of the script process.

Now the phone gets stuck at the Samsung Galaxy S III screen and wont boot. I can get into download mode and see the following:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

What do I do now? Am I committed to using Odin to put on the Verizon official 4.3 Firmware and can I do something else?

Thanks!

Follow the instructions here :

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2616987

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ctbaker

Aug 23, 2010
Go back to 4.1.2

Thank you! Applied the firmware via Odin and I am back in business! You just kept my wife from killing me!

I see what the problem was now. When performing the Insecure Boot flash and Recovery flash, I needed to grant the ADB super user request on my phone. But because the lock screen was on instead of being "in" the phone, I didn't see it and thus the bootloader was not unlocked nor was recovery installed. When going through the process this time, I had unlocked the bootloader and saw the request and this time things went flawlessly!

Last edited:
Reactions: BadUsername

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can I go back to 4.1.2 based on the reported text showing up on the download mode screen or must I go to 4.3?

Thanks!

Go back to 4.1.2

Go back to 4.1.2

Thank you! Applied the firmware via Odin and I am back in business! You just kept my wife from killing me!

I see what the problem was now. When performing the Insecure Boot flash and Recovery flash, I needed to grant the ADB super user request on my phone. But because the lock screen was on instead of being "in" the phone, I didn't see it and thus the bootloader was not unlocked nor was recovery installed. When going through the process this time, I had unlocked the bootloader and saw the request and this time things went flawlessly!