[Q] Is my SD card broken or is an app just write protecting it

Search This thread

frankie1220

Jan 6, 2013
I have this Team 64GB MicroSDXC Flash Card Model TUSDX64GUHS03 bought from newegg. My card hasn't been copying files properly. I "successfully" copied videos onto my device according to my PC. Then when I checked the files weren't there and one of the videos I copied was only like 1% of the original file and was named mtptemp.mp4. I can copy files from the card but when I copy onto it'll appear but can't be read. And the free space right now is only 10GB. I also did not set up any type of encryption as far as I know.

I tried reformatting it using several ways. The simplest being unlocking the MIcroSDXC adapter and formatting using the formatter in Windows Explorer and Disk Management in Computer Management. I used the formatting tool from sdcard.org and it will show that the card is write protected. I also tried removing write protect with a guide on youtube by ijusttutor titled "How to remove write protection from your usb or sd card using cmd". Also tried that SD fix app and that says it's unnecessary.

and here's a list of my apps (I removed a lot of other apps which are unlikely to affect the protection of the card)
AdAway
AdBlock Add-on
Adblock Plus
Adobe Flash Player 11.1
Advanced Protection
AirDroid
AnTuTu Benchmark
Apex Launcher Pro
AppLock
Aptoide
Authenticator
avast! Mobile Backup
avast! Mobile Security
Clean Master
CrappaLinks
Device Manager
ES File Explorer
GPS Status
Greenify
Greenify (Donation Package)
iFont
JuiceDefender Ultimate
LastPass
OBD Codes
Play Store Fixes
Poweramp
Poweramp Full Version Unlocker
QuickPic
SDFix
Seeder
Smart Remote
SMS Xposed
Snapchat
Swype + Dragon
SwypeTweaks
TeamViewer
Titanium Backup PRO
TuneIn Radio Pro
VK Downloader
Wanam Xposed
Waze
Xad
Xposed Installer
YouTube AdAway

Now is my card broken or one of my apps is locking it up? Buying one isn't an option right now, a fix preferably please. I'm running 4.3 on AT&T Galaxy Note 3

frankie1220

Jan 6, 2013
I see that you have the Xposed Installer. Have you tried the HandleExternalStorage module? It may be a fix, IDK. Try this thread in the forum- http://xdaforums.com/xposed/modules/app-handleexternalstorage-t2693521

Just tried it.. That doesn't work either. Did h2testw, My results from h2testw:

Warning: Only 11160 of 59643 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
0 KByte OK (0 sectors)
10.8 GByte DATA LOST (22855680 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
10.8 GByte corrupted (22855680 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x0000000000000000
Expected: 0x0000000000000000
Found: 0x52101330c0c5d7d7
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 58.2 MByte/s
Reading speed: 24.4 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

h2testw couldn't scan the whole volume because it has data on it and I can't format it.

Waynehead69

Aug 24, 2008
Independence, MO
I would try copying what you have on the card to your computer, then formatting the card. Once you have done that, place it in the device and then let the device format the card and then place your content back onto the micro sd card.

frankie1220

Jan 6, 2013
I would try copying what you have on the card to your computer, then formatting the card. Once you have done that, place it in the device and then let the device format the card and then place your content back onto the micro sd card.

Won't format on both my device and laptop. That's what I've been trying to do

frankie1220

Jan 6, 2013
Tried that already. Says the card is write protected even though I've done all sorts of disabling write protection.

Waynehead69

Aug 24, 2008
Independence, MO
Is that card compatible with your device? Sometimes that is the problem. Also, sometimes on the card itself, there is a little pin (or a lock) on the outside of the card itself. Make sure that it is not locked.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Your SD is borked. Time for a new one.

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app