Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,167 Members 44,619 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

iOttie Waterproof Skin

Tip us?

s1mpd1ddy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Default iOttie Waterproof Skin

http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Waterpr...6756630&sr=8-1

Has anyone ever used these before for their phones?

I'm going on vacation in a couple months, and I'd really like to use my g-note to take pictures underwater. This looks like its pretty cool, just wondering if anyone has used one on their notes

hyukki
Old
Thanks Meter 16
This look like an awesome idea, however, I wouldn't want to bring my phone down into the water with it though. You have to make sure there aren't any small holes which are probably really easy to get and you also have to make sure that there aren't any gaps between the sealing tape.
The Following User Says Thank You to hyukki For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fbauto1
Old
Thanks Meter 230

DONATE TO ME
It's basically a ziplock.

zi0nbaby
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I wouldn't even trust it.. its too cheap.

jordant2
Old
Thanks Meter 137
Wouldn't recommend it, I just broke my screen and found out that the insurance replacement is $200! That seems a bit ridiculous as my car deductible is only $500.
The Following User Says Thank You to jordant2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

madman604
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Any waterproof bag has one flaw. The water pressure will cause the touchscreen to work funny. You cant select anything. Its like a giant thumb pressing the whole screen at once.

Imo buy a cheap disposable waterproof camera. Really how many photos would you take underwater?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to madman604 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

khaytsus
Old
Thanks Meter 1068
yeah, I'd say go for the real disposable, or non-dispoable, underwater camera. But if you actually need to waterproof your phone, use an Aquapac. I can't suggest a specific model based on the Note's size, but I have several of these from previous phones and they're great. A little more protection from drops/bumps, and completely waterproof.
AT&T LG G2 - 4.4.4, AOKP
Nexus 7 Wifi 2012 - 4.4.4, AOKP (m-kernel)
Samsung Note i717 - 4.2.2, Unofficial AOKP
Try my Alternative XDA CSS Themes (including 2010!)

--
http://theblackmoor.net
http://unlimitedphoto.com
The Following User Says Thank You to khaytsus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fernandq
Old
Thanks Meter 5
The Kodak sport camcorder is waterproof already and and I have seen it at best buy as cheap as $120 which is a lot less that what is going to cost you to get your phone working if that cheap waterproofing fails. I would not mind using that product to protect my phone when I'm anywhere close to water but I would not intentionally jump in it.
Please hit the Thanks button if I am of any help.

Early 90's Motorola Brick phone -> Smaller Motorola -> Early 2000's Ericson -> Nokia -> Blackberry 7290 -> Blackberry 9000 (Bold) -> Blackberry 9800 (Torch) -> Galaxy I717 (Note 1)-> SM-N900A (Note3)
The Following User Says Thank You to Fernandq For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MonkeyThumper
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I just bought one of the iOttie Waterproof Skins....but not for my Note, but for my HP Touchpad. I bought the one for the ipad2, which is almost the exact same size as the Touchpad.

I like the idea of this, especially on a wireless chargeable device like my Touchpad is. I have one of the waterproof bags, and while it does work, it is kind of awkward, and the plastic is loose fitting, and just didn't' make it easy to use the Touchpad.

I actually have two Touchpads, and we like to use them when hanging out at the pool. We have a water misting system at the pool, and couldn't use the Touchpad before without the danger of it getting wet, so...I thought that a nice tight fitting watertight skin would be perfect. And since I don't have to break the seal to recharge the Touchpad, the skin should work for me much longer.

If the skin does everything I expect from it, then I *may* buy one for my Note, just for extreme cases of when I feel I want to protect it more than usual, but for now, I just use a ziploc bag for it, and it gets the job done just fine.

I will let you guys know what I think of it after it gets used by the pool.
The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyThumper For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MonkeyThumper
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Just wanted to update you on my purchase of the iOttie Waterproof Skin. As I said in my above post, I got this for my Touchpads, not for my Note, because I felt it would be more useful with the Touchpad being a wireless charging device.

So...Yes, it is waterproof. I didn't "dunk" it, and don't ever plan to. I did use it by the pool with the misters turned on, and it worked great. It was easier to use with the skin on it than with the waterproof bag I also have for it.

The skin is just not really noticeable. My finger doesn't slide on the screen as easy as it does without any protection, but it felt the same as when using the much more expensive waterproof bag. The skin is out of the way more, so it made the Touchpad easier to use than the bag system.

Haven't needed to take the skin off the Touchpads for charging, which is great. If someone could come out with a wireless charging system for our Note, I would seriously consider getting one of the iOttie skins for the note to use in harsh environments and leave it on there for extended periods, but without a wireless charging system, I could only see using the skin on the Note for EXTREME cases. If it wasn't for the problem of having to open it up each time for charging, then this would be a great option. iOttie needs to make wireless charging replacement battery doors for phones, along with selling the skin as an extra protective option.

If you are going to the beach, I do recommend the skin. It will at least keep sand/water out, and keep the sand from scratching the phone also.

The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyThumper For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]