S4 Google Edition Flashable Rom

Search This thread

rainynight88

Jan 10, 2011
UPDATE

Android 4.2.2 v6

Working: All with amazing battery life
Not working: Google Wallet (force close)

Again, not my work, just helping the community! :D

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2341794

Same setup - should work on T-MO.

Just an update about the new 4.3 GPe: External SD Card is readable when you plug it into your PC. The camera however still does not read the SD card. All else is still functioning.Version 4.3 will break root! All versions of SU currently do not work with 4.3. Just keep that in mind.

You can flash this over your current 4.2.2 Google Edition. If you're coming from TW, do a complete wipe, then flash. Thanks

No - I did not grab the system dump myself
Yes - I have tested this for the TMO variant and it's fully functioning

I did create a Youtube Video on how to install the Google Edition S4. Check it out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYpkJ27WAM

Althought it's not a ROM built from scratch or a project of any kind, it is a rom all in itself straight from the S4 GE

(Updated Link) - Thanks to luckyduck69 for posting a new mirror. Previous Link crashed XD.
If you're interested in the GE (VERSION 4.2.2), download here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5nz662i2y826kwd/google-edition-bg.zip

As always, make a backup, wipe, then flash.

Enjoy!:good:

Last edited:

coyttl

May 6, 2011
Mid-Atlantic
Installed using TWRP 2.5.0.2.
Was notified Root was not installed, told TWRP to install it for me.

So far, seems fine! I miss the "long press back to kill app" feature, but I can live without it as I play with this ROM. :)

Reactions: CamperKiller

The111

Jul 4, 2010
Thanks for the link! After flashing this ROM will all software/firmware on the phone be identical to that on the GPe handset? Or are there any other bits that aren't contained in the ROM?

chkn

Nov 1, 2007
Rialto
I did a wipe flashed and then had to reboot to get WiFi
going,other than that so far so good .feels smooth,but it could be a placebo effect not sure

abalosmusic

Nov 11, 2012
No gapps needed :).. Holy shiiioot I now have a s4 Google edition! Thnx for the find.. Now if we can only theme...

Sent from my GT-I9505G using xda app-developers app

rainynight88

Jan 10, 2011
Thanks for the link! After flashing this ROM will all software/firmware on the phone be identical to that on the GPe handset? Or are there any other bits that aren't contained in the ROM?

Not a problem. After flashing this direct port, I've noticed that my Model number changed to GT-I9505G, but my baseband remains the same (MDL), As it appears, everything is fully functioning from that of the GPe. To be clear, no errors, force closes, or mis-haps have occured.

I'm wondering that too. This is stable? Wipe system/data/cache and flash?
Yep, thats all thats needed. Don't forget doing a backup, too. :)

The111

Jul 4, 2010
Not a problem. After flashing this direct port, I've noticed that my Model number changed to GT-I9505G, but my baseband remains the same (MDL), As it appears, everything is fully functioning from that of the GPe. To be clear, no errors, force closes, or mis-haps have occured.

Awesome, thanks. Wondering why some of the other first flashers reported wifi not working at first. Oh well, I won't dwell on it too much. :eek:

rainynight88

Jan 10, 2011
No gapps needed :).. Holy shiiioot I now have a s4 Google edition! Thnx for the find.. Now if we can only theme...

Yep - Enjoy! And don't forget to hit the Thanks button (although much work wasn't needed, just researching)

Getting my T-Mo S4 in today. I'm curious to hear about how good this rom is. Need to root my phone first though :rolleyes:

You can picture this as a Nexus 4, with the advantages of the S4's hardware.

Yes you do need root though.

The111

Jul 4, 2010
Well, one thing I have not tested is Wi-Fi calling. If someone could check, that'd be great (since i'm at work).

I'm not sure wi-fi calling is known to work even on the real GPe, is it? I thought it might be specific to TMo/TW ROM somehow. I guess only GPe reviewers know at this point.

I was referring more to general wi-fi capability, I saw some guys saying that didn't work with the GPe system dump on TMo handset.

abalosmusic

Nov 11, 2012
Can't choose our picture destinations when using camera.. It seems the default is internal

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE

Android 4.2.2 v6

Working: All with amazing battery life
    Not working: Google Wallet (force close)

Again, not my work, just helping the community! :D

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2341794

Same setup - should work on T-MO.

Just an update about the new 4.3 GPe: External SD Card is readable when you plug it into your PC. The camera however still does not read the SD card. All else is still functioning.Version 4.3 will break root! All versions of SU currently do not work with 4.3. Just keep that in mind.

You can flash this over your current 4.2.2 Google Edition. If you're coming from TW, do a complete wipe, then flash. Thanks

No - I did not grab the system dump myself
    Yes - I have tested this for the TMO variant and it's fully functioning

I did create a Youtube Video on how to install the Google Edition S4. Check it out!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYpkJ27WAM

Althought it's not a ROM built from scratch or a project of any kind, it is a rom all in itself straight from the S4 GE

(Updated Link) - Thanks to luckyduck69 for posting a new mirror. Previous Link crashed XD.
    If you're interested in the GE (VERSION 4.2.2), download here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5nz662i2y826kwd/google-edition-bg.zip

As always, make a backup, wipe, then flash.

Enjoy!:good:
    Can't download, link's been viewed too many times.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
    I uploaded a working mirror
    Running this rom with the ktoonz kernal. I must say this is nuts. My phone boots in under 10 seconds and I now have LTE in places I didnt before. Wifi is working for me as well. Looking forward to this being the base for the next gen of roms!

already working on it
    with this base, i couldn't get my computer to recognize USB at all. tries to recognize my device as one with MTP. with my build, it recognizes it but no wifi. just made a new build with a different kernel so hoping everything is in working order. oh, also deodexed and SU pre-installed. if this build works, i'll have this in dev section in just a bit :p
    For anyone with TWRP, there's no need to download and flash the SU binary unless you just happen to have it handy. After flashing the ROM, TWRP will prompt you that the ROM you just flashed isn't rooted and ask if you wish to root. Just say yes, and reboot. Once the ROM boots, you can go to the Play Store and update your SU Binary from there and the phone will have full root capabilities. Not sure if CWM(based?) recoveries do that, but TWRP will.
    Samsung watch on from app store works with ir blaster

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 2