[Q] ''Problem updating firmware''

Search This thread

steven_archer

Feb 9, 2014
I'm trying to help a friend fix his S3 - model sgh-i747m - and have run into much bigger problems. Here's how it started.

He came to me with his S3 and showed me that it won't successfully complete its bootup. It passes all the logos, even the sound/animated Samsung splash screen. And then it stops there, hangs indefinitely. The LED still pulsates between dark and light blue.

I did some research about the problem and found that this should have easily been fixed by reapplying a stock rom. I should mention that the phone's built in recovery methods did not succeed, I tried those first. So I downloaded Odin3_v3.07_SGSIII as well as two versions of the stock rom for his Telus device; 4.1.2 and 4.3. I had read that you must flash the 4.1.2 before trying to flash the 4.3, so to play it safe (my friend doesn't know what version it was) I started with the 4.1.2.

I have used odin before. with my brand new Galaxy Note 3 in fact, and it worked amazingly fine. This time it wasn't working so well though. I started by making sure the drivers were installed. I booted the S3 into download mode, and connected it with the original USB cable, to a motherboard USB port on the back of my computer. All this time Odin was running and waiting, and everything was going as planned. Put the rom in the PDA loading area, and clicked start. Then things went fine, until it failed to 'write', whatever that meant. The progress bar on Odin and the device was stuck at half now. I let it sit for a while and observed no change. I idly clicked on the odin window and got the sad Windows fade-to-white effect, it had froze. Nothing I could do to unfreeze it, I let windows collect its crash data and relaunched Odin. I reconnected the phone but this time, almost instantly, the 'failed firmware' message popped up.

Did a little more googling at that point and found that it still should be able to proceed normally. So I tried again, with the same process. Booted into download mode, with Odin reset and running, with the PDA file ready to start loading.. But this time, Odin stops at "Initializing" and won't go any further.

Back to google some more. I tried various tricks some people suggested, like leaving the battery out, or putting the battery back in when Odin sees the device, and reinstalling the USB drivers, rebooting the PC, trying every different port I have.. And every single time it just gets stuck at "Initializing"

At this point I'm at a loss. My friend was already ready to write the phone off, but everything I've read tells me its still recoverable. Its not a hard brick, its only soft-bricked from what I can tell. I can still go into Download mode. Just something is being stubborn or difficult now.

So after about 4 straight hours of trying to figure it out on my own, searching the forums here there and everywhere, I decided to give in and ask for help. I hope you guys can lead me in the right direction and get this thing back up and running. I'm open to any helpful tips, suggestions, links or downloads, tools, whatever it takes to make it work again.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Since you could not load a stock 4.1.2 image using desktop Odin, sounds like the phone has been updated to 4.3 ROM with a stock 4.3 bootloader; therefore, you cannot flash any stock ROM via desktop Odin that tries to downgrade the bootloader.

Try this: download and install a pre-rooted Telus 4.3 image from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426 via desktop Odin. Do not check auto reboot. Once you see the word reset in the window, pull the battery, go into stock recovery, wipe/factory reset, and boot the phone.

Good luck.

steven_archer

Feb 9, 2014

Well, luck seems to be against me this time. I tried what you said, then Odin spits out a missing PIT error. I found the PIT file for this device, and tried following the steps documented for applying it. And then it spits out a Complete(Write) fail at me. I decided to try this all from a different computer in my house. So I got everything all set up, went to boot the phone into download mode... and now it won't even do that. I thought maybe the battery was too low, but when I plug it in without the battery, just a red LED shows up. Can't do anything with it now.

So at this point, do I just give up? Seems the only possibility now would be a JTAG service.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Well, luck seems to be against me this time. I tried what you said, then Odin spits out a missing PIT error. I found the PIT file for this device, and tried following the steps documented for applying it. And then it spits out a Complete(Write) fail at me. I decided to try this all from a different computer in my house. So I got everything all set up, went to boot the phone into download mode... and now it won't even do that. I thought maybe the battery was too low, but when I plug it in without the battery, just a red LED shows up. Can't do anything with it now.

So at this point, do I just give up? Seems the only possibility now would be a JTAG service.

Maybe the battery has been depleted. Leave it on a charger for a while and try again.

theramsey3

Jun 27, 2012

Try to give it a bit to charge but it sounds like you have a hard brick now... You might be able to use a debrick SD card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Try this If you did or think you had 4.3 bootloaders http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2549068

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

If you can get into download mode again you should visit www.sammobile.com (you need a username to download firmware from that site but they are a trusted source.) because you have an I747M you can probably find an appropriate Odin flash able stock tar just make sure it is for the correct carrier phone version.