[Request] Dedicated section for Umeox x201 (AW-414/420, TrueSmart, etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Really didn't want to do this but EVERYBODY that posted here, post in the Official *** New Device Forum Requests *** thread.
This may be the only way we are going to make this happen.

Would like to publicly request a dedicated section for the Umeox x201. This covers such devices like the the AW-414, AW-420, Vapirius AX-3, Omate TrueSmart ans at least three other devices based on the x201 platform.

Current issues with not having a dedicated forum are;

Informational master thread keeps getting buried
Cannot add development releases to the Dev DB
Development projects are not being posted due to lack of a development section
The current Omate TrueSmart main thread is now over 100 pages long and includes development, Q&A, general discussions and is near unmanageable
There is a lot of cross posting of the same information on the AW414 and TrueSmart threads because, except for case and name, they are the same device.

A section for this class of smartwatch would greatly help things. It would make it easier to find information because we could have single-topic threads. It would be easier to contribute because catching up with a thread would be quicker. It would allow the community to grow and operate.

But of course it would be useful to US. Every obscure device community could ask for a section and argue that it would help them. We need to argue that our device is so popular that a section is required. Here are some points to consider:

* Within the "Other Smartwatches" section, the "Omate Truesmart" thread has about 40% of the posts of the "MotoActv" thread. However, the MotoActiv has been around since 2011 and the Truesmart has been around since - well, for all intents and purposes, it isn't even out yet and there's still a thriving community
* There are more posts in the "Omate Truesmart" thread than in the entire "Pebble Smartwatch" section. Don't get me wrong, there's a huge and dedicated Pebble community out there. Here on the XDA forums, however, the Umeox x201 community is larger, more active, and in need of a good home
* A dedicated section will improve the quality of the site. Having monster threads like the "Omate Truesmart" thread make the site disorganized and difficult to use. If the information is easy to find, the users are better informed. Well-informed users make a better community. Better communities bring in more advertisment dollars.
* The time to act is NOW. The early devices are beginning to ship, and the there are only a few developers churning away. Over the next month or two, the number of devlopers will explode. Implementing a new section now will allow time for proper organization. Allowing a thread to balloon to 10,000 posts and we'll need to hire more mods to help sort the information into proper threads.

Does it make sense? Is it worth it? My professional experience in forum management (of which I have none) says yes!

Note to Admins:
We currently have info, fixes, development environment guides and so on spread out across multiple G+ communities and posts, two forums and personal pages and are already running into issues where even searching doesn't even find some it. If you decide to not create a section for the x201 please let us know as we will need to find some sort of solution.

Last edited:

Jarocks

Jan 31, 2011
You have my support. Now let's flood the official request thread

Tapatalked from my HTC Droid DNA

jaskru

May 23, 2010
Would like to publicly request a dedicated section for the Umeox x201. This covers such devices like the the AW-414, AW-420, Vapirius AX-3, Omate TrueSmart ans at least three other devices based on the x201 platform.

The current Omate TrueSmart main thread is now over 100 pages long and includes development, Q&A, general discussions and is near unmanageable
There is a lot of cross posting of the same information on the AW414 and TrueSmart threads because, except for case and name, they are the same device.

Agreed.

SparkyRih

Jan 19, 2011
Roermond
Omate might kill me for this since I'm one of their forum moderators and an admin, but I think a development forum on XDA is a much better thing then a "special development forum"...

Reason 1:
There are too much wise noses on the TS forums who think they know it all, but over here at XDA I mostly see professionals or at least people working together more professionally...

Reason 2:
There has never been an Asus Padfone series forum over here at XDA (even though a lot of people requested it), and there has been a lot of development for this device over at my Padfone community, but I know there would be a lot more development if the Padfone would've gotten it's own forum over here a XDA... So to make the TS (or any other Umeox watch since they're pretty much all the same, except for the exterior) a great success, proper development is required!

So +1

gillebob

Oct 11, 2007
And as an avid reader of this forum and member since 2007 (when xda-dev was for xda's only), I support this request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Really didn't want to do this but EVERYBODY that posted here, post in the Official *** New Device Forum Requests *** thread.
    This may be the only way we are going to make this happen.

A section for this class of smartwatch would greatly help things. It would make it easier to find information because we could have single-topic threads. It would be easier to contribute because catching up with a thread would be quicker. It would allow the community to grow and operate.

But of course it would be useful to US. Every obscure device community could ask for a section and argue that it would help them. We need to argue that our device is so popular that a section is required. Here are some points to consider:

* Within the "Other Smartwatches" section, the "Omate Truesmart" thread has about 40% of the posts of the "MotoActv" thread. However, the MotoActiv has been around since 2011 and the Truesmart has been around since - well, for all intents and purposes, it isn't even out yet and there's still a thriving community
    * There are more posts in the "Omate Truesmart" thread than in the entire "Pebble Smartwatch" section. Don't get me wrong, there's a huge and dedicated Pebble community out there. Here on the XDA forums, however, the Umeox x201 community is larger, more active, and in need of a good home
    * A dedicated section will improve the quality of the site. Having monster threads like the "Omate Truesmart" thread make the site disorganized and difficult to use. If the information is easy to find, the users are better informed. Well-informed users make a better community. Better communities bring in more advertisment dollars.
    * The time to act is NOW. The early devices are beginning to ship, and the there are only a few developers churning away. Over the next month or two, the number of devlopers will explode. Implementing a new section now will allow time for proper organization. Allowing a thread to balloon to 10,000 posts and we'll need to hire more mods to help sort the information into proper threads.

Does it make sense? Is it worth it? My professional experience in forum management (of which I have none) says yes!

Note to Admins:
    We currently have info, fixes, development environment guides and so on spread out across multiple G+ communities and posts, two forums and personal pages and are already running into issues where even searching doesn't even find some it. If you decide to not create a section for the x201 please let us know as we will need to find some sort of solution.