[Q] Can we verify whether or not our backups have been corrupted?

Search This thread

adamryanx

Dec 27, 2012
Hey guys, I just have a general question that (seemingly) applies to all Android phones. I'm posting this question in the GS3 mini section because I have a MetroPCS Galaxy Exhibit [SGH-T599N] and I guess that's where we're we've been relegated to, but this question, as I said, could really apply to any phone. My question is this: how can I verify that my NAND backups are not corrupted?

Here's some context: I recently flashed to CM 11. Everything's running great, it's my daily driver, and I love it. It's easily the best, most smooth ROM I've ever used but I recently discovered a need to flash back to the stock ROM backup I was running pre-CM 11. Before I flashed to CM 11 I was running the standard JB stock and incidentally I was also using a different Kik username. After flashing to CM 11 and installing Kik, I decided to make a new username. Now, given that I never logged out of that old username (the one I was using on JB stock), I know that if I were to flash back to that old ROM, I'd boot into a ROM that's logged into that old account. I need to be able to do this because I need to access that old Kik account's chat logs for personal reasons. My problem now is due to two issues: my amazing stupidity and...well, no that's really it.

At the time I was running stock I was running CWM recovery. I made a backup using Rom Manager but like an idiot I backed up to my internal SD card. In order to flash to CM 11 I had to wipe my internal memory, which eventually lead to me losing that backup. My only silver lining is this: I made one backup to external sd about a week before I flashed to CM 11.

Here's where it gets messy: Not knowing that the backup on the external sd was for my stock pre-CM 11 ROM, I stupidly deleted it to free up space and began saving files onto the external sd card. After I had flashed to CM 11 I made about three CM 11 backups. I deleted my pre-CM 11 backup because I mistook it for one of these three CM 11 backups. Upon realizing the height of my stupidity, I just finished recovering these lost folders and files using a data recovery program, but I have no idea whether or not the files have been irreparably corrupted. Is there any way I can verify that this backup is still good to use? I don't want to risk attempting to flash back to my old ROM only to have it wind up bricking my phone. Does anyone know of a good way I can figure this out? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

an idiot

E

Exothermic

Hey guys, I just have a general question that (seemingly) applies to all Android phones. I'm posting this question in the GS3 mini section because I have a MetroPCS Galaxy Exhibit [SGH-T599N] and I guess that's where we're we've been relegated to, but this question, as I said, could really apply to any phone. My question is this: how can I verify that my NAND backups are not corrupted?

Here's some context: I recently flashed to CM 11. Everything's running great, it's my daily driver, and I love it. It's easily the best, most smooth ROM I've ever used but I recently discovered a need to flash back to the stock ROM backup I was running pre-CM 11. Before I flashed to CM 11 I was running the standard JB stock and incidentally I was also using a different Kik username. After flashing to CM 11 and installing Kik, I decided to make a new username. Now, given that I never logged out of that old username (the one I was using on JB stock), I know that if I were to flash back to that old ROM, I'd boot into a ROM that's logged into that old account. I need to be able to do this because I need to access that old Kik account's chat logs for personal reasons. My problem now is due to two issues: my amazing stupidity and...well, no that's really it.

At the time I was running stock I was running CWM recovery. I made a backup using Rom Manager but like an idiot I backed up to my internal SD card. In order to flash to CM 11 I had to wipe my internal memory, which eventually lead to me losing that backup. My only silver lining is this: I made one backup to external sd about a week before I flashed to CM 11.

Here's where it gets messy: Not knowing that the backup on the external sd was for my stock pre-CM 11 ROM, I stupidly deleted it to free up space and began saving files onto the external sd card. After I had flashed to CM 11 I made about three CM 11 backups. I deleted my pre-CM 11 backup because I mistook it for one of these three CM 11 backups. Upon realizing the height of my stupidity, I just finished recovering these lost folders and files using a data recovery program, but I have no idea whether or not the files have been irreparably corrupted. Is there any way I can verify that this backup is still good to use? I don't want to risk attempting to flash back to my old ROM only to have it wind up bricking my phone. Does anyone know of a good way I can figure this out? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

an idiot

if you recovered it immediately after deletion - then it's most likely still good. I don't think there's any way to fully verify backups; but I will say this if you do chose to use that backup and it fails, you should easily be able to flash any rom over again to correct it, or even use odin to go back to stock rom and try again. The only way you truly hard-brick phones is flashing something over usb and it gets disconnected haflway through, or you accidently flash somethign to the wrong partition (if you were using hiemdall), generally speaking for nearly 80% of bricks are sem-bricks and should easily be able to recover from.

adamryanx

Dec 27, 2012
if you recovered it immediately after deletion - then it's most likely still good. I don't think there's any way to fully verify backups; but I will say this if you do chose to use that backup and it fails, you should easily be able to flash any rom over again to correct it, or even use odin to go back to stock rom and try again. The only way you truly hard-brick phones is flashing something over usb and it gets disconnected haflway through, or you accidently flash somethign to the wrong partition (if you were using hiemdall), generally speaking for nearly 80% of bricks are sem-bricks and should easily be able to recover from.

Thanks for your quick reply, Exo. I'm curious, do you think inspecting the .log file would be able to give me an indication about the integrity of the backup? In going through old backups I was able to open the .log file in Notepad and read in plaintext what was written there. If this could be used as an marker of the backup's health, then it seems I may be out of luck as the .log file for this backup seems like nothing but jibberish. I've opened it with Notepad, Notepad++, and I even installed a different third party program that's reads .log files exclusively (called Baretail), all to no avail. I'll try flashing to this backup in the meantime but I'm curious: do you think attempting to read the .log file could be a good way to verify the backup's integrity, or is there something I'm missing here? Thanks for your time.

Adam