Things to consider!

Search This thread

dr69

Aug 21, 2008
Hi guys I have my galaxy S4 close to a year now and now that I paid off the phone and now im ready to rootand do the whole 9 yards.
So I used to have a htc sensation before and I remember it needed to be s-off in order to gain root access, so does this also applies to my s4 or is rhat just aplicable to htc phone?
Now let me give you guys my specs:
T-mo us SGS4.
Stock rom, untouched.
Stupid knox installed.
Kit kat 4.4.2
Baseband: M919uvufnb4
Secure boot status: Samsung
Device status: official.
So I read that knox trips up and correct me if im wrong it lets samsung knows or something like that so you cant claim for warranty purposes????whats the best custkm recovery for the s4? Cwm or twrp?
So I wanna do:
1. Root
2. Install custom recovery
3. Remove tmo and samsung bloat. (Does anyone know which are safe apps to remove and where to remove them from?)
4. At the end of the day have a fully working S4 rooted with less junk in it.
As I think of more stuff to do I will post, or if you guys have better ideas, steps, or anything just let me know. All your help will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
Hi guys I have my galaxy S4 close to a year now and now that I paid off the phone and now im ready to rootand do the whole 9 yards.
So I used to have a htc sensation before and I remember it needed to be s-off in order to gain root access, so does this also applies to my s4 or is rhat just aplicable to htc phone?
Now let me give you guys my specs:
T-mo us SGS4.
Stock rom, untouched.
Stupid knox installed.
Kit kat 4.4.2
Baseband: M919uvufnb4
Secure boot status: Samsung
Device status: official.
So I read that knox trips up and correct me if im wrong it lets samsung knows or something like that so you cant claim for warranty purposes????whats the best custkm recovery for the s4? Cwm or twrp?
So I wanna do:
1. Root
2. Install custom recovery
3. Remove tmo and samsung bloat. (Does anyone know which are safe apps to remove and where to remove them from?)
4. At the end of the day have a fully working S4 rooted with less junk in it.
As I think of more stuff to do I will post, or if you guys have better ideas, steps, or anything just let me know. All your help will be greatly appreciated.

S-Off is an HTC thing. It doesn't apply to Samsung devices.

Knox will be tripped and they COULD prevent you from filing a warrenty claim. But that hasn't been a big deal so far and your phone is outside of warrenty anyway it sounds like.

Search for CF Auto Root. It makes rooting this a really simple 30 second process. (No downgrading firmware and all that jazz that you did on your Sensation using PM5110IMG files or whatever they were called.)

Custom recovery flashes in seconds as well.

You'll have to decide for yourself if you like CWM or TWRP. We don't allow discussions on XDA about 'which is better'. Both have their advantages. It depends on which you like best for your use.

There is a list of 'safe to delete' bloatware around here somewhere. The search feature will help you find it. But you can also just make a Nandroid backup first and delete whatever teh hell you want. If you break it, just restore.

pfftdives

Mar 16, 2013
S-Off is an HTC thing. It doesn't apply to Samsung devices.

Knox will be tripped and they COULD prevent you from filing a warrenty claim. But that hasn't been a big deal so far and your phone is outside of warrenty anyway it sounds like.

Search for CF Auto Root. It makes rooting this a really simple 30 second process. (No downgrading firmware and all that jazz that you did on your Sensation using PM5110IMG files or whatever they were called.)

Custom recovery flashes in seconds as well.

You'll have to decide for yourself if you like CWM or TWRP. We don't allow discussions on XDA about 'which is better'. Both have their advantages. It depends on which you like best for your use.

There is a list of 'safe to delete' bloatware around here somewhere. The search feature will help you find it. But you can also just make a Nandroid backup first and delete whatever teh hell you want. If you break it, just restore.

Just a comment on CWM. I tend to use it more but had issues flashing multiple ROMS with it, kept getting an error about "4 arguments accepted, received 5" when it was partitioning. In the M919 developers forum someone recommended TWRP and that did the trick for me. I don't know if its KitKat or s4 related but for now I'd suggest TWRP, CWM has not been working for me.

dr69

Aug 21, 2008
Thanks bro ill keep that in mind