GPS issues

Search This thread

droidxxxxx

Oct 2, 2012
Pensacola
Moto G Stylus 5G
My s3 has been acting funny lately.. the GPS seems a little wonky. I noticed when flashing a 4.2 rom.. my GPS seems to want to work..then just won't get lock on its own..I have to toggle GPS on/off to force it to work..and even then its not very solid. When I flash back to a 4.1 rom.. it seems to work. It gets lock on its own..but even then..I notice a strange inaccuracy.. I use My Tracks..a free GPS app..when running side by side with my tablet..the location seems weak on the phone..while driving in a straight line..it shows me on the other side of the highway..but near..not too fat away..then sometimes it seems on track. Now on the tablet..its dead nuts accurate.. showing me driving straight..not like I had a twelve pack first..lol..could formatting the SD card of damaged something? I wonder if all the flashing I do screwed something up..

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 2

ddurandSGS3

Jun 12, 2012
gpsfix has always gotten me quick locks and fixes regardless of ROM.

try that?

i usually

run gpsfix
"fixed"
open nav
type in address
go
good to go

rtry restoring TW ROM, getting lock, restoring 4.2 nandroid?

droidxxxxx

Oct 2, 2012
Pensacola
Moto G Stylus 5G
I flashed a clean stock touchwiz JB version..everything working flawless..tried to flash mrom..gps issue still there..now I'm nan backup back on stock..all still working good. I made a backup of mrom..so you are saying to now try flashing the back up? I'm really confused why its broke for me on 4.2 roms..:(

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ddurandSGS3

Jun 12, 2012
Ive seen people recommend it before.

Nandroid mrom
Flash a jb tw rom
Get gps lock
Restore Nandroid

Gpsfix has always worked for me so i haven't tried it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Reactions: droidxxxxx

gemoney06

Sep 11, 2012
My only fix

I have had the same problem. On CM10 my GPS works flawless but when I go to CM10.1 the GPS only works for an app if I toggle it inside the app. I have only found one fix so far for it to work in CM10.1.

Here's what I used from buhohitr (post):

Download the zip, unzip it, then copy the 2 files (gps.conf and certificate) to /system/etc of your device, reboot and try out your gps. Let me know how it goes. You must be rooted to do this.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?o6pjy4gap7p4qu1

droidxxxxx

Oct 2, 2012
Pensacola
Moto G Stylus 5G
I have had the same problem. On CM10 my GPS works flawless but when I go to CM10.1 the GPS only works for an app if I toggle it inside the app. I have only found one fix so far for it to work in CM10.1.

Its not letting me copy one of the files..says it read only..weird how this is happening..

mikeman45

Oct 15, 2012
When trying the tw lock way go straight to recovery after getting a solid lock. Don't close out maps or anything.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

droidxxxxx

Oct 2, 2012
Pensacola
Moto G Stylus 5G
When trying the tw lock way go straight to recovery after getting a solid lock. Don't close out maps or anything.

OK..tried it just as you said..got lock instantly on stock..flashed right to recovery..nan backup to liquid4.2.2...still have to toggle GPS..man I wish i knew why this would happen..will just have to get use to toggling i guess..lol

sweeds

Jul 13, 2011
Boston
I read on XDA, someone talked to a Verizon rep and said it's a VZW bug, not ROM/phone related. This worked for me, here's the fix:

1. Clear Data on Maps
  2. Clear Data on Google Services Framework
  3. Go to Location Services and turn OFF Verizon Location Services (leave other 2 ON)
  4. Reboot Phone
  5. You should now have GPS lock (hopefully)

droidxxxxx

Oct 2, 2012
Pensacola
Moto G Stylus 5G
I read on XDA, someone talked to a Verizon rep and said it's a VZW bug, not ROM/phone related. This worked for me, here's the fix:

1. Clear Data on Maps
  2. Clear Data on Google Services Framework
  3. Go to Location Services and turn OFF Verizon Location Services (leave other 2 ON)
  4. Reboot Phone
  5. You should now have GPS lock (hopefully)

well, i wish i woulda seen this sooner.. lol.. i tried to odin back to root66 with odin mobile, now im all messed up.. im trying to flash with oden through pc now.. keeps failing though.. i can get into stock recovery and downloader mode though, so maybe all is not lost..

sweeds

Jul 13, 2011
Boston
well, i wish i woulda seen this sooner.. lol.. i tried to odin back to root66 with odin mobile, now im all messed up.. im trying to flash with oden through pc now.. keeps failing though.. i can get into stock recovery and downloader mode though, so maybe all is not lost..

If you can get into download mode, you're still OK - you just need to odin via PC. Check the MD5 and filesize of your root66.tar, if it's failing it's most likely a corrupt download. If they match and it still fails, what is the error message that comes up? Once you flash the stock img, get superuser and a custom recovery, and from there I hope you made a nandroid or can clean flash a new ROM. Hope this all helps.

droidxxxxx

Oct 2, 2012
Pensacola
Moto G Stylus 5G
If you can get into download mode, you're still OK - you just need to odin via PC. Check the MD5 and filesize of your root66.tar, if it's failing it's most likely a corrupt download. If they match and it still fails, what is the error message that comes up? Once you flash the stock img, get superuser and a custom recovery, and from there I hope you made a nandroid or can clean flash a new ROM. Hope this all helps.

I'm all back up and running.. I was able to Odin back to root66 finally..then from there unlocked bootloader..reflashed liquid 4.2.2..seems my GPS issues might be fixed..thanks for your concern. :)

sweeds

Jul 13, 2011
Boston
I'm all back up and running.. I was able to Odin back to root66 finally..then from there unlocked bootloader..reflashed liquid 4.2.2..seems my GPS issues might be fixed..thanks for your concern. :)

Yeah, I've heard just Odin back to stock and then a clean flash can do the trick. I still recommend getting the app called GPS Status and downloading the aGPS Fix. Good luck!

Sent via SGS3 using Tapatalk

droidxxxxx

Oct 2, 2012
Pensacola
Moto G Stylus 5G
Of course I spoke too soon when I look at the 3 choices under location settings it's missing the Verizon setting it actually only has 2 settings plus 1 location setting toggle at the top which activates the 2 at the bottom it's a different layout.. It's gone back to only working what I toggle it on and off again..

sweeds

Jul 13, 2011
Boston
Hmmmm that sounds like the ROM had changed the menu layout. The problem could be a ROM related issue. Have you checked if its been reported in its specific thread?

Also, go to Google Now (or Google Search), hit menu and go to settings. Check that Google's location services are on.

Lastly, I've heard about and seen better GPS with Wifi turned on, even if you're not connected. Try that too.

blomgren

Sep 19, 2010
What worked for me 100% is the app called GPS Status & Toolbox. Worked flawless. I have zero issues and locks solid in less than 20 seconds. That is the longest, usually 5 seconds is normal for me. Program runs when outage GPS enabled and running google maps.

droidxxxxx

Oct 2, 2012
Pensacola
Moto G Stylus 5G
I have tried them..just doesnt work unless i toggle gps on/off..lol..but its strange I can go back to 4.1 and gps works fine... All 4.2 ROMs give me the same issue..the GPS works fine..just doesnt start up on its own when I start maps or something.. I have go toggle GPS..then it works..that goes for any GPS app..just like the one u are talking about..it sounds like your GPS was indeed coming on at least..just weak..my icon doesn't start unless I toggle it after starting GPS app of choice..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ive seen people recommend it before.

Nandroid mrom
    Flash a jb tw rom
    Get gps lock
    Restore Nandroid

Gpsfix has always worked for me so i haven't tried it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
    My only fix

Download the zip, unzip it, then copy the 2 files (gps.conf and certificate) to /system/etc of your device, reboot and try out your gps. Let me know how it goes. You must be rooted to do this.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?o6pjy4gap7p4qu1

Yeah, I've heard just Odin back to stock and then a clean flash can do the trick. I still recommend getting the app called GPS Status and downloading the aGPS Fix. Good luck!