[App] Zevele's Blinker v1.9 [22/12/2011]

Search This thread

jb789

Nov 6, 2009
Mmm... desiccant
...the blinking doesn't stop for me after a notification is raised and dismissed (same problem as before).
Also when I start the service it starts blinking as if there was a notification and I can't stop it.
Stopping and restarting service does not solve the issue.
I doubt this will solve your problem, but there used to be an issue in WM5 with stuck notifications & some claim it's still a problem in WM6.x. Here's some info:
http://frommypocket.pocketprimer.com/2007/02/13/notifications--alerts.aspx
and
http://www.pocketmax.net/freeware/pmclean.html
Of course, the best way to ensure there's no problems with corruption is to run Task 29 & reflash from scratch.

zevele

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 8, 2010
have 4 fodlers in there...
I also have some folders there, usually (it's not supposed to be empty), but once I'm dismissing the notifications - all the relevant folders disappear. For reference the folders Blinker responds to are:

Appointment: {15F11F90-8A5F-454C-89FC-BA9B7AAB0CAD}
EMail: {A877D65A-239C-47A7-9304-0D347F580408}
MissedCall: {A877D660-239C-47A7-9304-0D347F580408}
SMS: {A877D65B-239C-47A7-9304-0D347F580408}
VMail {A877D661-239C-47A7-9304-0D347F580408}
MMS: {3C781384-05f3-4035-A8F9-C23F19A93AF0}

If any of them exists - Blinker acts as if there is an active notification.

Z.

zevele

Mar 8, 2010
Well, I just tried several clean & fresh ROMs on my Altell TP with Blinker 1.4...

This is another weird behavior - Blinker does no interaction with the notifications (apart for checking if the keys exist in the registry) I can't think of any reason for your notifications to disappear...

Z.

p50kombi

Dec 20, 2005
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I doubt this will solve your problem, but there used to be an issue in WM5 with stuck notifications & some claim it's still a problem in WM6.x. Here's some info:
http://frommypocket.pocketprimer.com/2007/02/13/notifications--alerts.aspx
and
http://www.pocketmax.net/freeware/pmclean.html
Of course, the best way to ensure there's no problems with corruption is to run Task 29 & reflash from scratch.

It's definitely not a problem in the notification que.
I use memmaid and have since early days (about 8 years ago?) and can confirm no notification que problem is present in my device.
However, after a soft reset my registry has cleaned the entries in the notification folder.
after a notification a folder is added which is then not deleted after dismissing the ontification.
VEry strange indeed.

I can also confirm it is not a task29 problem as I perform Task29 before every flash and have experienced this behaviour on multiple versions of Miri's Rom.
Maybe it's a Miri Rom problem, but this rom is the greatest (super fast and super...super stable) out there for HD2 so I am not willing to trade it in.

If you want me to test anything else, let me know but for now as notifications aren't erased, I guess I can't use Blinker..
Shame....

Good luck though.....still a great app...wish it worked on my rom

jb789

Nov 6, 2009
Mmm... desiccant
This is another weird behavior - Blinker does no interaction with the notifications (apart for checking if the keys exist in the registry) I can't think of any reason for your notifications to disappear...
Well, I don't think they "disappeared", they just weren't all displayed via the pop-up to be dismissed/snoozed/etc. As they occurred in real time, only one pop-up would show instead of one with the < > arrows to select the others. As I recall, the notifications screen from the taskbar would still show the correct number, but selecting from there would still only show one. Selecting "Dismiss All" from any dialog also wouldn't work correctly. I wasn't smart enough to look in the registry to see what was going on in there, though. ;)

Maybe if there's some way to delay Blinker checking those keys, or have it check different keys, that would help? I'll be happy to do more testing, just let me know.

Last edited:

jb789

Nov 6, 2009
Mmm... desiccant
...I wasn't smart enough to look in the registry to see what was going on in there, though...
I got curious & tried again with changing various settings, but no luck. I did check both of the registry keys mentioned & nothing was in there after dismissing the 1 notification of 8 that popped up. However, after another reminder went off, the Notifications screen (from the taskbar) still showed 8. ReRemind also still "sees" the "lost" notifications somewhere & alerts about them even after the 1 is dismissed, so maybe another look at it's code will turn something up. I couldn't find any other obvious & relevant Notifications references in the registry, but I certainly could have missed something.

I should add that in my latest testing, I only notice this quirk when the phone is suspended / sleeping & then wakes up to display the notifications, even with both "Wakeup notification" & "ForceUnattendedMode" selected. If the phone is awake when the multiple simultaneous notifications hit, everything seems OK. Hopefully that may shed some light on the cause or possible workarounds.

jb789

Nov 6, 2009
Mmm... desiccant
I've noticed one annoyance while running Blinker..., if I have too many calendar reminders come up at the same time (say 10 or so), only one is available to dismiss/snooze/etc. The rest seem to get lost somehow. I can reliably recreate this error, but if someone else can duplicate/verify it, that'd be helpful. Otherwise, it must be something unique to my situation.
I've found a workaround of sorts for this issue by having Profile Switch wake my phone just before the multiple Reminders come up. Of course, this requires me to be vigilant & set Profile Switch in advance when too many Reminders will come up at the same time. If there were some way for Blinker to delay its actions for a few seconds or even wake the phone first, that would be ideal.

jb789

Nov 6, 2009
Mmm... desiccant
Blinker is working pretty well for me now that I've combined it with Profile Switch & ReRemind on my Touch Pro. I'm finally able to take advantage of what should be built in functionality, Thanks! I've got 3 questions/issues that would really make Blinker almost perfect for non-HD2s:

1) Is it possible to change the default charging LED sequences? It just doesn't seem to work right on the Touch Pro. Maybe it's partly related to the LEDs I have selected, but with "AC Notifications" enabled it won't display the "green" battery LED if there's no notifications pending, and it doesn't seem to reliably display fully charged, even if I specify a FullPower sequence. Also, if I disable "AC Notifications", Blinker doesn't seem to release control of the LEDs properly or fast enough for the default Touch Pro charging indicator to work. Then, after charging, I have to manually "wake" Blinker to get it to re-recognize existing notifications (I've got Unattended & Wakeup disabled since they drain too much battery). Maybe the best solution would be for Blinker to automatically re-check the Notifications Store when unplugged (or see issue 2 below)?

2) It might be nice to be able to configure the WakeupNotification duration. This would also serve as a workaround for the disabled "AC Notifications" charging issue above. Again, I've got it disabled to save battery, but 15-20 minutes should work fine in my case.

3) For devices like the Touch Pro or Diamond with more than 2 LED options, it would be ideal if more LEDs could be added through the Advanced tab. Or, maybe an option to add extra LEDs as part of the sequences?

Wickedk

Jun 17, 2010
I want to know if there is a way to control every LED backlight on the HTC Touch Diamond I mean every seperate one,like when there is a incoming call only the pick up icon is backlighted etc

zevele

Mar 8, 2010
Blinker is working pretty well...

Implementing a configurable minimum duration for the wake-up notification as well as more LEDs shouldn't be too difficult to implement. Rechecking the notification state after the power state changed shouldn't be too hard too.

I don't have too much time these days, so it might take a while...

Z.

Reactions: jb789

jb789

Nov 6, 2009
Mmm... desiccant
Just released version 1.5...

Didn't do much testing though... so let me know if there are problems...
Still tinkering with it, but looking good! The only issue I see so far is that entering custom LEDs through the settings application don't seem to get written to the registry. Custom LEDs do seem to work fine if set directly in the registry, though. This is on my Raph800 CDMA Touch Pro running WM 6.5.3 29020. Also, I did import my old Blinker 1.4 registry settings, but I don't think that could have caused any problems.

Edit: I should clarify that importing the old registry settings apparently just populated the same settings that still exist in the new Blinker version. All new Blinker registry settings were still there & unaffected.

Last edited:
Reactions: zevele

gpobernardo

Aug 4, 2009
Good work on the application!

Regarding the apparent "bug" where the blinking just stops when the device goes to sleep, after much trial and error, I might have found a solution.

Using another application, such as Advanced Configuration Tools for Windows Mobile, I enabled all power saving modes and performed a soft reset as required. So far, now being the 3rd day, the blinking hasn't stopped as it did before.

I own an HTC T3333. Hope this one helps.

Gian

zevele

Mar 8, 2010
The only issue I see so far is that entering custom LEDs through the settings application don't seem to get written to the registry...

Indeed there is an issue with saving these values to the registry... I'll fix it and post a corrected version...

Thanks,

Z.

zevele

Mar 8, 2010
Version 1.6

Just released version 1.6 - fixed the issue where the custom LED id's cannot be edited from the settings application.

Check the first post for more information.

Z.

Attachments

• Blinker1.6.CAB
    103.2 KB · Views: 667
Reactions: jb789

lecca

Jan 10, 2010
Start on my HTC Touch3G only after unlock

Is a fantastic app, and work fine on my HTC Touch 3G.
I have only a small problem, when I turn on my device start lock and Blinker not start automatically but start when i unlock the device.

Anyone have any idea how I can start blinker automatically with device lock?
Thanks in advance.

gpobernardo

Aug 4, 2009
Again, nice app, zevele, and thanks for the acknowledgment!

Unfortunately the blinking did stop again after updating to the newer versions.
However, unlike before when the blinking would just stop (randomly) at any time of the day, I noticed that the blinking (at least on my HTC T3333) stops everytime the date changes, i.e., the LED stops blinking at exactly 12:00 midnight. All I have to do is restart the service of the application so that the LED would start blinking again (and it does run uninterruptedly...until the next midnight). I have made observations for the newer (1.5 and 1.6) versions, and they all behave similarly. Perhaps the bug has its roots with the system date or the system time?

The same settings (as I posted before: enabling the power saving modes, the "force unattended mode" and the "use wake up notification") apply during the observations.

I hope this would help in finding the minor "bug" with the application.

Good luck!

zevele

Mar 8, 2010
....I noticed that the blinking (at least on my HTC T3333) stops everytime the date changes...

Indeed there was an issue regarding midnight in the wakeup loop. I've modified the code and it should be fixed now... Please let me know if it solves the problem (cab attached). If it's good I'll update the first post.

Thanks,

Z.

Attachments

• Blinker1.7.CAB
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,703

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi, Following the requests here, I've wrote this application. Basically the application blinks the device LED every few seconds. The idea is to have some notification that the device is still alive. The application blinks differently depending on the status of the device.

Main features:
    • Including sequences for normal, low battery, no-signal, new message (Voice/SMS/MMS/EMail), Missed calls, appointments, wireless status (bluetooth and wifi), GPS status and charging level.
    • Almost all sequences can be configured via the settings application.
    • Sequences may include blinking the green and orange LEDs (in HD2 - may be configured in other devices), the keypad LED, vibration and playing a wav file.
    • If the radio is turned off or there is no signal, another orange blink occurs (in addition to the regular one).
    • When the phone is charging the orange LED lights constantly, every few seconds a sequence of green blinks according to the batter level occurs (20-40% - 1 blink, 40-60% - 2 blinks, 60-80% - 3 blinks and 80-100% - 4 blinks). If the battery is fully charged - the green led lights constantly.
    • Blink interval and length can be set via the registry. Different blink interval for idle mode and when notification exists (new message/missed call).
    • Running the link once starts the application, on blink sequence occurs. Running the link again runs the settings application from which the service can be closed.
    Known issues
    • Custom LED id's are not saved to the registry in ver. 1.5.
    • It seems that there are some issues running "Dusk taskbar" or "SDKCERTS" along with Blinker.
    • Sometimes when the device is locked, the application stops working (until the device wakes up). After a soft-reset the application returns to behave as expected. I really don't know what instigates the problem or how to solve it... If anyone has a clue please leave me a message. Not solved, but might be better in ver. 1.1.
      Update(16/4/2011): setting [HKCU\Software\Blinker\AllowUnattendedMode] to 0. Solved this issue for some. Also enabling "Don't suspend power" in S2U2 (under the advanced category) seems to help.
      Update(14/5/2011): In ver. 1.4 a possibility to periodically wake the device, it seems that this solution might work around the issue.
      gpobernardo may have found a solution to the problem.
      [*]Non at the moment (I'm sure some will pop soon... ;))

System Requirements
    • .Net Compact Framework 3.5
    • Tested successfully on: HTC HD2 (Leo), HTC TD2 (Topaz), HTC Touch HD (Blackstone), HTC Touch2 (Mega).
      But might work on other devices (please let me know if it works on other devices as well...)

ChangeLog
    • 07/12/11 (v1.9) - from post #198
      • Fixed issue where service could not be started from the settings application.
    • 07/12/11 (v1.8) - from post #196
      • Added GPS status support.
    • 04/09/11 (v1.7) - from post #180
      • Fixed issue where Blinker halts at midnight (thanks gpobernardo).
    • 20/08/11 (v1.6) - from post #177
      • Fixed issue where custom LED id's where not saved.
    • 13/08/11 (v1.5) - from post #173
      • Added a notifications check when power state changes.
      • Added 3 more custom LEDs.
      • Shortcut link now point to the settings application instead of the service itself.
    • 14/05/11 (v1.4) - from post #151
      • Rewrote the service project in c++ (Now the service requires significantly less memory when running).
      • Added ability to vibrate (see second post for further information).
      • Added ability to play a wav file in the sequence (see second post for further information).
      • Added sequences for "Appointment" and "New MMS".
      • Blinker now uses only the WM notification method.
      • Removed the "Use WM Notification" as it is no longer required.
      • Removed the "SMS Store" setting as it is no longer required.
      • Fixed issue where in lower resolution devices a scroll bar did not appear in the settings application.
      • Added "Advanced" tab in the settings application.
      • Added a "Wakeup notification" - this option will force the device to wake every couple of seconds. This should solve the "unattended issue" - but might affect the battery drain. This feature can be turned on under the "advanced" tab in the settings application.
      • Hibernates when no blinking is required.
      • Changed "AllowUnattendedMode" to "ForceUnattendedMode" and added a checkbox to control this value under the "advanced" tab.
    • 06/04/11 (v1.3) - from post #101
      • Blinker can now use the notification system instead of directly check the Stores (thanks peterpan911 for the tip). This can be configured in the setting, under "Use WM Notifications".
      • Blinker can be configured to load on startup from the settings window.
      • Improved performance (thanks p50kombi)
      • Some minor interface improvement to the settings dialog.
    • 10/02/11 (v1.2) - from post #77
      • Added possibility to set the green/orange LED id.
      • Added possibility to set the SMS store name.
      • Improved error handling in case SMS store is not found.
    • 03/12/10 (v1.1) - from post #62
      • Added notifications for new message (SMS/EMail/Voice), missed calls and wireless status.
      • Added possibility to blink the keypad light as-well.
      • Added separate delay interval on new message or missed call.
      • Tweaked the unattended mode. The halting problem still exists, but it seems better now.
      • Added a configuration utility. To run it press the Blinker shortcut again (after blinker is already running).
    • 06/11/10 (v1.0) - Initial release

Downloads
    Acknowledgements

Any suggestions or remarks are welcome

Z.
    ....I noticed that the blinking (at least on my HTC T3333) stops everytime the date changes...

Indeed there was an issue regarding midnight in the wakeup loop. I've modified the code and it should be fixed now... Please let me know if it solves the problem (cab attached). If it's good I'll update the first post.

Thanks,

Z.
    ...Is there a way, that it shows only the "no-signal status", for instance by additional settings and all other notifications will be the normal of the HD2 ?

You can set all sequences to empty strings, and disable "ACNotification", this should get you what you want...

Z.
    gpobernardo, first - thanks for testing the fix. I'll post a the link on the first post.

...Right after installing version 1.7, the blinking stopped after around 2 minutes...

The fix was very minor and shouldn't affect anything else (afaik...). Let me know if this issue returns.

Z.
    ...Can you fit this software for Touch pro too?

I thought I had it fixed - I'll check it and hopefully it'll be good in the next release...

Z.