Glass screen protector for the 12.2 - MIME

Search This thread

minionhunter

Aug 6, 2013
Update: 5 months use and it cracks for little reason other than poor construction
See current post

UPDATE: Now available for limited preorder at MIME - Thank you MIME and everyone who helped make this a reality!

UPDATE: mime has a glass protector "in development" according to their website, and an OP reports mime should have it ready next week (week of April 1st). I'll update again once it is available. Yea!

After getting the real glass screen protector for my wife's ipad air and the gumdrop bounce skin for it, I don't know if I would want to use any tablet without them. The real glass makes for the most amazing interaction with the device and the bounce skin I find perfect for a tablet, I don't need the extra plastic frame, just a thick silicone skin with oversized corner protection.

Does anyone know if there is a coming glass screen cover?

Last edited:

kodochax

Dec 23, 2008
Brooklyn
I also have a glass protector for my note 2 . Glass is so much nicer, waiting for some to be announced as well. I did buy a plastic protector in the meantime don't want to risk scratching the screen while I wait for the good stuff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Reactions: minionhunter

Mike02z

Feb 3, 2012
Greenville, SC
OnePlus 9 Pro
Here is the response I got from MIME.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for reaching out to us, and thank you for your support! We are
still gauging demand for Samsung's new tablets. If we receive enough
message requests you can be sure we'll make it happen :)

Best,
MIME

Here is the link to their contact form. If we all request it, maybe they will build it.

http://mimeusa.com/contact/

minionhunter

Aug 6, 2013
-Snip-

Here is the link to their contact form. If we all request it, maybe they will build it.

Thank you for doing this Mike! I replied, and I hope others keep it up and request the glass, even if they are only thinking about it. If you ever try using glass, you will see why absolutely no plastic is comparable. It must be glass or it sucks. I personally wipe mine down frequently, I just have to have that mirror surface. We can debate about if it is better to use TMS-Cl to coat it (think rain-X for a car window, which is likely what the "oleophobic coating" is) [gotta love marketing guys] or just plain glass, but it must be glass. Nothing else will do, it does not matter if you are kinesthetic dominant or not in your learning style, glass is just better.

Hopefully we can get someone to make the glass protector.

ExtremeRyno

Jul 19, 2012
Sent my request. I had no idea these existed, but I had a single grain of sand scratch my screen on my A700 and have felt shame for allowing that to happen ever since. Spending twice as much on this device, I'm going to protect every little bit of it.

Mike02z

Feb 3, 2012
Greenville, SC
OnePlus 9 Pro
I have probably tried at least 10 different types of screen protectors and NOTHING is better than real glass. I''ll take my chances until a real glass protector is released.

Thanks for pestering MIME. Hopefully they will make these for us.

minionhunter

Aug 6, 2013

Hi Mike,

Best,
MIME

Do you have this? Since it is plastic I don't trust it, I think it will scratch even though it give a hardness value that is pretty high. Too expensive for a plastic film for me. My GUESS is that it will also not "feel right" to me, plastic always has a wave to it. You need plate glass to get that perfectly smooth surface. Sometimes I've gotten away with using plexiglass (fiberglass plastic) for a flat surface (most notably building a dead flat magic sculpt rectangle that would not warp in high heat when I baked the model I was making), but still its tricky, glass is much much better to me. Also by saying it will get scratched, my glasses get scratched and they are made from similar material and even have the scratch resistant coating on them. My ski goggles get scratched, and those micro fine scratches build up fast. This is why I constantly demand glass for my touch sensitive devices. Heck my 3 year old thinkpad convertible tablet screen (non-glass) has micro scratches and marks on it and I only infrequently use it as a tablet (b/c it is not intuitive like the current tablets).

If you have it and it works really well, please let me know, but I just have a feeling that it is overpriced and will scratch.

I have that companies nano.t glass for my S4 because at the time it was the only thin glass I could find that would fit under the otterbox defender case (all other glass products were too thick). It is a nice product, but I got the TechPro glass for my wife's ipad at <1/3 their price and it is magic for the ipad air. I like that companies products, but I think they are priced a bit too high. They have great marketing, so good for them, but I'll go to someone cheaper if I can, its all glass underneath and I can apply my own TMS-Cl if I need to.

I told MIME in my request that I would buy all my future glass from them if they made this, and I will. Supporting companies that make good products is the only way to encourage them to keep going with making new good products.

For a tablet I feel like I would want the thicker glass, but I don't care, I just want a real glass protector for this tablet when I get the LTE version as soon as it comes out. I want a tablet I can read a scientific paper on at full size (or just about). Just like the comic book guys want to read comics at full size. I figure by supporting the development of this size tablet, the weight will come down rapidly in a generation or two, and the computing power will rise dramatically too.

I'll thank everyone who goes and requests the glass protector and then posts that they did it in this thread. Hopefully we will all get what we want, a glass screen protector. If you made it this far, thanks for reading!

minionhunter

Aug 6, 2013

Hi Mike,

Best,
MIME

Anybody tried this Zagg screen protector yet?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/zagg-in...p?id=1219098632627&skuId=4545042#tab=overview

This ZAGG InvisibleSHIELD GP2HWS-F0B features military-grade material to protect the screen of your Samsung Galaxy Note PRO 12.2 or Galaxy Tab PRO 12.2 from scratches. The thin, glass-like surface maintains clear images and rich colors.

Whenever I hear this, all I think is marketing. The key quote for me is this "to protect the screen of your Samsung Galaxy Note PRO 12.2 or Galaxy Tab PRO 12.2 from scratches" - I translate this as "protect the note pro screen", it does not say or mean 'provide a scratch free surface to write/interact with' which is what they WANT YOU TO THINK it means, but it is not. Plastic will scratch and gather up micro scratches on it and it will not be perfectly flat like glass so it will be less than ideal to work with. I agree with the statement someone made that I'm spending a lot of money on this, I'm willing to go a little bit more to get a quality glass screen protector. [I will also likely buy a cheap, cheap cheap plastic film until then.]

I think of it as writing on the surface like it was meant to be (the surface is glass) so covering it with glass duplicates it but if I scratch the glass protector, I can peel it off and replace it, unlike the original screen surface. Nothing will be perfect at protecting from damage, but a glass protector will be as perfect as it gets. It is also my guess that people who don't think glass is worth it, just have not tried it yet (that would be my highest %, with some other stragglers as 'don't care about a protector', 'don't have the money to get glass', 'don't understand why they need a protector' [not stupid people, but just aren't cynical/experiences enough to realize they will scratch stuff until it happens and then they don't like it and can't do anything about it], or finally 'insensitive to the glass/plastic differences or minimal interaction with device').

I'm going to write to MIME again and say that with the consumers that are willing to spend a premium chunk of money on this device, will likely be either willing to or demand to spend a premium chunk of money on the ideal screen protector (meaning glass). Just like grocery stores (by the use of rewards cards) figured out that people who spend the extra money to buy organic milk will also spend the money to by organic mushrooms and other high profit items that people who just want to buy regular milk will not want to buy. So by spending the space and money to cater to these customers who demand premium products, they can make more money (and good profit) by carrying other premium products. Not everyone buys them, but the people who buy them tend to purchase other similar items. The Note Pro 12.2 is an expensive tablet,we want quality in it (high amounts of screen real estate) and are willing to pay for it. Since we are willing to spend a little more for it, I bet as a group we are willing to spend a little more to buy the "best damn screen protector surface" that we can afford. Maybe that is it we want to buy a surface, not just a protector. We want to buy an experience, the kinesthetics of fluid user/device interaction. To get the best interaction point you need glass, you just can't get it with plastic. Its not just a protector its surface interaction we want. I'll send this to MIME, maybe their marketing people can use it. With plastic you get a screen protector, with glass you get a true surface.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who is posting and for writing to MIME to help get this made for us high end tablet users. The days are dragging by until the LTE comes out and I can buy it. I want it NOW (with glass and a gumdrop bounce brand skin).

tonyz3

No I don't have the Spigen for the note 12.2 but have had it on other devices and it is very nice. No drag with a stylus. . I also have used zagg often on my phones and really like them mainly for the ease of installation. I Would really like to try the Mime but who knows their time frame to have it ready.

Russbad

Nov 16, 2010
I have used Zagg screen protectors. I did not like them. They have a sticky feel that annoys the heck out of me. Glass or naked for my devices.

I have used Zagg protectors too, but this one seems to be different, made of glass not the sticky rubbery screen protector. Zagg has started making glass like tempered glass so I was wondering if the one at Best Buy was the new product. The description on it says glass-like.
http://investors.zagg.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=824469

Mike02z

Feb 3, 2012
Greenville, SC
OnePlus 9 Pro

Buji

Jan 9, 2007
I have the steinheil, and it is smooth but not oleophobic at all so it shows fingerprints and has more glare. Ideally I would like to see spigen come out with a glass product like what I have for my gs4. The glass.tr I have for that is clear, smooth, Casey reduced glare, and is oleophobic. As a result, friends I see on a regular basis ask me repeatedly if I got my phone replaced because it always looks brand new.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

tonyz3

Hi Tony,

Thank you for checking us out and thank you for your interest! We are in the process of working on gauging demand for Note Pro glass at the moment. Your input is valuable, and will be brought to attention during our next meeting. Thanks again for writing to us, and we'll definitely be posting updates on our Facebook page as they come!

Best,
MIME

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
Yup, you're right. Looks like it is real glass.

We sell these at best buy. They are pretty nice.

I have used Zagg protectors too, but this one seems to be different, made of glass not the sticky rubbery screen protector. Zagg has started making glass like tempered glass so I was wondering if the one at Best Buy was the new product. The description on it says glass-like.
http://investors.zagg.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=824469

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good news...

I just switched phones to the new HTC One (M8) so i sent MIME and email about the ghost glass for this and the Pro 12.2 and here is there response...

"Hi Mike,

Not a problem, we expect to have our Note Pro 12.2 up next week, and our HTC One glass protectors online within a week of launch. Thank you for your patience!

Best,
    MIME"
    It's simular, but slightly different... You are given good instructions.

I just want to say that this is one of the best things about XDA - that we can come together and convince a company to help us get something great.
    Update

So last week I noticed a small chip out of the side of the glass and today it splits from that crack.

When I got the glass I was happy just to have the glass but unhappy that :
    1. It was way too short on all sides
    1.5 the home button cut out was cheap and not a well aligned circle ( but that is picky)
    2. It was not fire polished on the edges

This last point I thought was just mime being cheap (no laser cutting or other fire polishing) buy it seems like this led to structural failure of the glass and now has ruined my protector.

I'll contact mime but I have little hope they will solve the problem.

At this point I will never buy from them and rely on the cheap Chinese no name brands from the online auction site. At least they are not price gouging (or maybe they are for China but for the us that is less than half price). These type are superior since they are thicker and laser cut.

If anyone needs an explanation of why noon flame polishing weakens glass I can provide it, but you can find it on Google pretty easy.

I'm just upset I promoted this company and they failed to provide quality product. I didn't get anything from them, just wanted to support the development of the glass.
    I also have a glass protector for my note 2 . Glass is so much nicer, waiting for some to be announced as well. I did buy a plastic protector in the meantime don't want to risk scratching the screen while I wait for the good stuff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Hi Mike,

Best,
    MIME