SMS Message Problem!

Search This thread

weareborg

Aug 5, 2006
Dublin
Hi guys,
I'm having some difficulty with sending SMS messages. Its sporadic. Sometimes they send immediately, sometimes not at all. Its very frustrating.

For example, the day I got the phone (last week) I sent 2 text messages. I didn't hear back from anyone but thought nothing off it. I checked my messages and they were time stamped with the time I sent them at so I presumed they had gone.
That evening, about 6 hours later, I got my two replies. The people had only just got them, hours later. One of them wasn't impressed because it was intructions for something they needed to do 4 hours previously!

So, I turned on delivery reports on each sent message to make sure they sent.
Over, the next two days, I had no problems, delivery reports come in immediately within seconds of me sending my SMS message.

Meanwhile, I called my network (Vodafone) to see if there were any issues with network. they reported none. I checked the message centre number and verified it against the network one. They matched, so I thought all was in order... except I would have to get annoying delivery reports cluttering up my Text message inbox until I was sure the service was working 100%.

Earlier today, I sent about 3 important text messages, got no delivery reports, so I texted my other phone to see if the messages were going through. Nada. I was annoyed.
I'm thinking.. whats going on?
So about 10 minutes ago I shut down the phone and booted up again. Within 10 minutes I was getting all my delivery reports and replies from people!

Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong, what setting needs to be activated etc?

Obviously I can't use the text messaging on the device if I can't trust it to just work like pretty much every handset I've owned since... year dot.

PS: I spoke to Vodafone care team who said my sim card must be old; newer sim cards (128k) are needed for these "high tech" phones.
But I just took my sim out of my Nokia N97 (never had a problem) last week AND messages ARE going through on the Leo occasionally and only after a reboot, which is utterly pointless.
This is the last thing I thought I'd have issues with on a device like this..

Any advice? Have I missed something?

Thanks.

Zero Masamune

Nov 7, 2009
Same here, I thought I messed up something in the sms service or so.
Done many hard resets and soft resets. But still no help.

br3nt

Jul 23, 2008
since you both have vodafone, and I haven't seen/heard about other people having these problems, I'd say it was voda's fault ;)

Last edited:

Zero Masamune

Nov 7, 2009
since you both have vodaphone, and I haven't seen/heard about other people having these problems, I'd say it was voda's fault ;)
Now tell me, why? I've never had problems on my previous phones.
I don't think the vodafone on the Ireland branch is the same as the one in the Netherlands

Kinda happy to hear that you guys also having the same issue.
It can probally be patched/fixed by htc. I googled for "htc sms hotfix"
And htc is also facing sms issues on other devices.

Last edited:

Fatherboard

Nov 9, 2009
sigh... How will I live without outgoing SMS capability? so lame... hope you guys will find a fix soon.

chalid

Jan 18, 2008
seems to be the same like the sms bug in previous manila 2.1 build. outgoing messages weren't send, but only on some specific providers.

weareborg

Aug 5, 2006
Dublin
How could such a fundamental and critical phone component get screwed up? That just doesn't make sense. Anyone got ideas out there for a fix or we we have to wait for HTC to patch this? What about people who purchased a Leo and have no knowledge of this site etc deal with something like this? They buy a 500+ euro phone, try to send a text message, no joy. Baffled, annoyed, frustrated. Phone would get returned right? Not happy.

johnk1973

Dec 8, 2004
manchester
Just had this problem on t-mobile UK. The thing is that if you're in conversation mode it actually gets inserted as if it's been sent. I looked in outbox and it was stuck there, even after pressing 'retry send'. I tried a reset but it was still stuck there, so i retyped the message and sent that, both ended up being sent, with the origanal sms being time stamped as if it was sent ages ago!

jakem

Nov 11, 2009
In case it helps, I'm not having any problems on 3UK. Are you all certain it's not a network issue?

simplymee

Nov 12, 2009
Perhaps it is to be honest... and perhaps tapping 'resend' just makes it happen in the background so it just appears that it does nothing.

I still find of the most annoying things to be the fact that the auto capitalise new sentence option to not work.... it's bad for perfectionists!!

johnk1973

Dec 8, 2004
manchester
I still find of the most annoying things to be the fact that the auto capitalise new sentence option to not work.... it's bad for perfectionists!!
+1 !!

It might look like it's mainly vodafone but in the UK at least it by far the biggest network, therefore it's bound to affect more voda users. Only 15 posts and already i see vodafone, att, O2, t-mobile, different countries, different networks.

paulrockliffe

Sep 2, 2004
This is the same issue that I've had this week with my Touch Pro running the Leo ROM, the device seemed to be turning all my SMS into MMS and then not sending them, though the odd one would sneak through. The problem has been fixed with an update to the custom ROM I'm using. It's the Energy ROM by the way. I'll send the author a message to see if he can pop on here and offer advice on the problem.

Top Liked Posts