[Q] Restoring my recovery, but not wiping

Search This thread

providedbike

Sep 2, 2014
Hi all,

I have searched the web, but haven't found an exact answer to my question.

I have a Nexus 5, currently on 4.4.2 (KOT49H). I am unlocked, rooted + Xposed and have TWRP. I want to update to 4.4.4 preferably OTA, officially. I would like to be able to use OTA updates from now on if possible.

Currently, if I disable Xposed, and use Suvival Mode in SuperSU and try to install the OTA update, TWRP intervenes and doesn't let me.

I would like to replace TWRP with the stock recovery so I can update OTA in the future. I don't want to wipe the phone to achieve this if possible. If this isn't possible, could someone step through how to update to 4.4.4 with TWRP installed — I'm on a mac also.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Flash the stock recovery image in fastboot

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

providedbike

Sep 2, 2014
OTA is the least compatible and hardest way to update. Why do you want to use this method? It's the worst option available to you.

Because it would seem easier for me—AFAIK. Although this didn't work, this workflow sounds appealing to me every time an update comes out:

- Disable Xposed
- Enable Survival Mode in SuperSU
- Install OTA update
- Re-enable Xposed, done.

No USB, no computer, no terminal.

Is there another way to achieve this?

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Because it would seem easier for me—AFAIK. Although this didn't work, this workflow sounds appealing to me every time an update comes out:

- Disable Xposed
- Enable Survival Mode in SuperSU
- Install OTA update
- Re-enable Xposed, done.

No USB, no computer, no terminal.

Is there another way to achieve this?

Running a rooting rom without a custom recovery is dangerous IMHO.

Without having to lose custom recovery

1) Download latest rooted stock ROM
2) Flash
3) Enable Xposed

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Does this apply for the stock rom? I'm rooted, but still stock...

Yes, whenever there is a new stock ROM, someone makes a rooted stock flashable zip of it. Also if you make any small changes to system, sometimes like adblocking, OTA will fail but flashable zip of rom will just override all that bs.

latest 4.4.4 rooted stock rom is in a thread which you can find i the resources section of the sticky-roll-up thread. You can get there via my signature.

That way, you can take a nandroid backup so if anything goes wrong after the update, you can do a full restore, where as with OTA you will not be able to with stock recovery.

providedbike

Sep 2, 2014
Yes, whenever there is a new stock ROM, someone makes a rooted stock flashable zip of it. Also if you make any small changes to system, sometimes like adblocking, OTA will fail but flashable zip of rom will just override all that bs.

latest 4.4.4 rooted stock rom is in a thread which you can find i the resources section of the sticky-roll-up thread. You can get there via my signature.

That way, you can take a nandroid backup so if anything goes wrong after the update, you can do a full restore, where as with OTA you will not be able to with stock recovery.

Ok great that's very helpful, thanks!

providedbike

Sep 2, 2014
No problem.

I just think that way is easier....I wouldn't want you putting extra work in, if you dont have to. It also gives you more freedom to work with mods in the future too, or kernels etc

Yep it's all good. For some reason, I had this little fear of the fact it's an official stock rom, that's been "toyed" with. But of course that makes no sense really, considering I'm willing to install many third party apps and processes that could easily alter/mess my phone up.

Do the rooted stock roms get released fairly rapidly after the official one is released?

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Yep it's all good. For some reason, I had this little fear of the fact it's an official stock rom, that's been "toyed" with. But of course that makes no sense really, considering I'm willing to install many third party apps and processes that could easily alter/mess my phone up.

Do the rooted stock roms get released fairly rapidly after the official one is released?

Yeah. as soon as the factory image is released. Maybe a day or two. Which is before 99% of people even receive the OTA notification

providedbike

Sep 2, 2014
Yeah. as soon as the factory image is released. Maybe a day or two. Which is before 99% of people even receive the OTA notification

Perfect, thanks for clearing things up for me.

Just checking, I'll make a backup before I flash, but technically, will all my data still be there if all goes to plan?