AT&T HTC ONE X speeds on TMobile

Search This thread

jcbennett

Aug 26, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I'm in the north atlanta area, specifically Alpharetta, and am curious how the 1900 mHz roll out is here.

I spend most of my time in Vinings/Smyrna area and Druid Hills/Emory area and the speeds there are decent. I've gotten as high as 10-13 mpbs down but average 5-8 mbps. Coverage is spotty except in town. Hoping that LTE is rolled out by the end of the month as I have heard reported from various channels.

jcbennett

Aug 26, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Test Date: Jun 23, 2013 10:42:43 am
Connection Type: Lte
Server: Atlanta, GA
Download: 35035 kbps
Upload: 22102 kbps
Ping: 35 ms

External IP: 208.54.64.175
Internal IP: 22.114.167.158
Latitude: 33.91285
Longitude: -84.38541

A detailed image for this result can be found here:

493500932.png

Ookla operates Speedtest.net using a massive global infrastructure to minimize the impact of Internet congestion and latency. With millions of tests performed every day across hundreds of servers, Speedtest.net is the ultimate resource for bandwidth testing and related information. Visit it on your computer today to find out why.

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda premium

Last edited:
K

kfc.Android

I'm in Los Angeles and Orange county area, wondering whether T-mo has good 3.5G/4G coverage in these area?
My phone has been unlocked and I am thinking to switch to GoSmart since it's also using T-mo's tower.

954wrecker

Jul 9, 2012
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 9
LTE is on good now here in San diego. Probably on good in LA also. Never heard of the company you are thinking of but my T-Mobile prepaid plan gives me 5gb of lte a month

Sent from my HTC One XL

K

kfc.Android

LTE is on good now here in San diego. Probably on good in LA also. Never heard of the company you are thinking of but my T-Mobile prepaid plan gives me 5gb of lte a month

Sent from my HTC One XL

Thanks for the reply, it's good to know that T-mo is working on the LTE markets.
For me, LTE is good but not a must, the reason I want to switch from Straight Talk (AT&T) is because I only got around 2-5Mbps DL :(
By the way, Go Smart is part of T-mo, not just another MVNO provider like Straight Talk or Net 10 so I might have a chance to get LTE speed

All GoSmart Mobile Web site design, text, graphics, and the selection and
arrangement thereof are the copyrighted works of T-Mobile USA,
Inc. © 2012-2013. All rights reserved.

954wrecker

Jul 9, 2012
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 9
Lte is a huge upgrade from the speeds and consistency I was getting on the refarmed 3g network for T-Mobile on att phones 1900 band
The lte upgrade did increase the 3g strength but now I'm almost always locked in to lte so I can't be sure how consistent 3g is to be honest

Sent from my HTC One XL

Last edited:

tokuzumi

Nov 25, 2008
Thanks for the reply, it's good to know that T-mo is working on the LTE markets.
For me, LTE is good but not a must, the reason I want to switch from Straight Talk (AT&T) is because I only got around 2-5Mbps DL :(
By the way, Go Smart is part of T-mo, not just another MVNO provider like Straight Talk or Net 10 so I might have a chance to get LTE speed

Go Smart does not mention 4G anywhere on their site. You get 3G, and after your data allotment, you get 2G. The $45/mo plan says "High Speed Data", but does not state you will get HSPA. Keep that in mind, before you decide on using them. You might just want to switch to Straight Talk with a T-Mobile sim. You do get HSPA with Straight Talk.

Edit: Just go with a t-mobile pre-paid plan. They have a $60/month plan, which gives you unlimited talk/text, and 2.5GB of data, LTE/HSPA/3G/2G. If you don't talk on the phone much at all, get their $30/mo plan. 100 minutes, unlimited text, and 5GB data. The only place I see that plan is on WalMart's website.

Last edited:
K

kfc.Android

Lte is a huge upgrade from the speeds and consistency I was getting on the refarmed 3g network for T-Mobile on att phones 1900 band
The lte upgrade did increase the 3g strength but now I'm almost always locked in to lte so I can't be sure how consistent 3g is to be honest

Sent from my HTC One XL

Hmm, that's true, I've seen the LTE speed on my friend's Verizon phone and I don't think I want to stick to 3G speed.
Thanks for the advise, think I will pass on those GoSmart plans ;)

Go Smart does not mention 4G anywhere on their site. You get 3G, and after your data allotment, you get 2G. The $45/mo plan says "High Speed Data", but does not state you will get HSPA. Keep that in mind, before you decide on using them. You might just want to switch to Straight Talk with a T-Mobile sim. You do get HSPA with Straight Talk.

Wow, thanks for the heads up, what you said is true!
I checked their entire website, nothing regarding 4G, and even worse, the YouTube speed test is pretty bad.
Looks like GoSmart limited their high speed internet to 1Mbps only, what a shame :(

Oh, I forgot Straight Talk is selling T-mo SIM cards until you mentioned lol
So now we have the comparison like below:

T-Mo (LTE Speed); $50/m; 500MB Data
ST (HSPA+ Speed); $45/m; 2or5GB(?) Data
Which one will you pick?

Thanks for both of your inputs :good:

tokuzumi

Nov 25, 2008
Hmm, that's true, I've seen the LTE speed on my friend's Verizon phone and I don't think I want to stick to 3G speed.
Thanks for the advise, think I will pass on those GoSmart plans ;)

Wow, thanks for the heads up, what you said is true!
I checked their entire website, nothing regarding 4G, and even worse, the YouTube speed test is pretty bad.
Looks like GoSmart limited their high speed internet to 1Mbps only, what a shame :(

Oh, I forgot Straight Talk is selling T-mo SIM cards until you mentioned lol
So now we have the comparison like below:

T-Mo (LTE Speed); $50/m; 500MB Data
ST (HSPA+ Speed); $45/m; 2or5GB(?) Data
Which one will you pick?

Thanks for both of your inputs :good:

If you have LTE in your area, I would go with a t-mobile plan. If you don't, there's no reason to pay any extra money so you can get it whenever it becomes available.

I edited my post above, but if you don't talk much on the phone, look into the $30/mo t-mobile plan. 100 minutes/unlimited texting/5GB of data, at whatever speed is available at your location (LTE/HSPA/3G/2G/Dead zone).

K

kfc.Android

If you have LTE in your area, I would go with a t-mobile plan. If you don't, there's no reason to pay any extra money so you can get it whenever it becomes available.

I edited my post above, but if you don't talk much on the phone, look into the $30/mo t-mobile plan. 100 minutes/unlimited texting/5GB of data, at whatever speed is available at your location (LTE/HSPA/3G/2G/Dead zone).

Ahh, that's tempting, but I am not sure about whether I can live with 100 minutes airtime or not.
BTW, I found there's a 15% discount from my company's employee program which makes the 2.5GB data single line plan to only $42.50/m
that's cheaper than straight talk and go smart :good:

954wrecker

Jul 9, 2012
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 9
.10 a minute after 100 minutes. No tax on the prepaid plans and I always get a discount on the cards ~5-10%. You can refill or start the 30 days over anytime if you run out of the 5gb of lte data and get sick of edge. I've never used more minutes or ran out of data or had to refill early but it's a nice option for less than $30 a month

Sounds like you could use about 250 minutes and get an extra 2.5gb of data for about the same monthly price.

Sent from my HTC One XL

Last edited:

jmvaught

Oct 18, 2010
Conway, SC
I know this is from several months ago, but I rooted, s-offed, SIM unlocked and installed Liquidsmooth ROM on my AT&T One X (Evita). I'm not new to rooting, s-off and such. Just new to re-purposing devices for other carriers. I've checked all of my APN settings against the ones listed in the earlier post. My question is, where do I add the lines to the build.prop? I copied them to the #ril section at the end and it froze upon reboot. I noticed there was an extra space on either side of the "=" in the first line. Is that supposed to be there? Exactly where do I place those lines in the build.prop as they aren't included in the original on my device? I'm not looking for the device to perform as if it were originally meant for TMoUS; just as good as possible for this device on this network. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda app-developers app

tokuzumi

Nov 25, 2008
I know this is from several months ago, but I rooted, s-offed, SIM unlocked and installed Liquidsmooth ROM on my AT&T One X (Evita). I'm not new to rooting, s-off and such. Just new to re-purposing devices for other carriers. I've checked all of my APN settings against the ones listed in the earlier post. My question is, where do I add the lines to the build.prop? I copied them to the #ril section at the end and it froze upon reboot. I noticed there was an extra space on either side of the "=" in the first line. Is that supposed to be there? Exactly where do I place those lines in the build.prop as they aren't included in the original on my device? I'm not looking for the device to perform as if it were originally meant for TMoUS; just as good as possible for this device on this network. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You just need to put in the APN information into the mobile networks section. You shouldn't need to edit anything else for the phone to work on t-mobile. I just edited APN information on both my wife's HTC One X, and my AT&T GS3. I didn't have to do anything with build.prop files, or need any type of root access. The phone will only get HSPA/+ in areas where 1900mHz has been refarmed, and wherever LTE is available.

Reactions: 954wrecker

jmvaught

Oct 18, 2010
Conway, SC
You just need to put in the APN information into the mobile networks section. You shouldn't need to edit anything else for the phone to work on t-mobile. I just edited APN information on both my wife's HTC One X, and my AT&T GS3. I didn't have to do anything with build.prop files, or need any type of root access. The phone will only get HSPA/+ in areas where 1900mHz has been refarmed, and wherever LTE is available.

I had done that already and double-checked the settings but am still only getting Edge. Will a couple of days make any difference for it to settle? Build.prop edits won't make a difference? Thanks for your quick response!

954wrecker

Jul 9, 2012
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 9
No sorry with the right apn settings it's instantaneous. You get high speed Internet right away if you are in the right area. Check the website airportal.de to find out if you don't already know.

Sent from my HTC One XL

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011
I had done that already and double-checked the settings but am still only getting Edge. Will a couple of days make any difference for it to settle? Build.prop edits won't make a difference? Thanks for your quick response!

i am in a refarmed area. my t mobile one gets LTE reliably,and my att jetstream,att inspire 4g,and international one x all get hspa data just fine.

my hoxl,however refuses. like you it only gets edge data,period. ive tried everything but stand on my head.ive tried the build.prop edits, ive tried half a dozen different apn settings,tried t mobile one s radios,and even changed my meid. ive tried just about every available ruu. nothing ive done has worked,and id really like to smash it with a hammer ;) my next step is to find someone with an actual att sim and see if it still gets 3g and 4g on att.

if you find out anything on this,please let me know. id like to use my hoxl as my daily work phone,if it would get better edge data

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No magic apn numbers, it's just the towers nearest you.

Sent from my HTC One XL
    I live in Kansas City, Kansas. This is basically the speed I get any time I'm in my house. I will try at work tomorrow if anyone is interested.
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/423474226.png

Just tried a test with the phone on my desk, then with my arm simply held up in the air 2 feet above me. Top 2 results are those. Not bad speeds for $30 a month, I'd say!
    http://i.imgur.com/MpmplMO.png

---------- Post added at 07:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 AM ----------

i popped my t mobile sim back into my international one x,and its getting 3g/H data just fine. apparently the refarm has made it to dayton,oh,finally :D

however,my HOXL refuses to connect to anything other than edge... if i remove the sim card,4g pops up for a brief second when i power the phone on. ive tried it on stock 3.17.707.1 and stock ATT 3.18.502.6. ive tried a couple different APN settings...

any ideas? i actually prefer the HOXL over the HOX since its s off. id love to HSPA+ working...

Try the one I use :

Name : T-Mobile US
    APN : epc.tmobile.com
    proxy not set
    potr not set
    username none
    password none
    server none
    mmsc : http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    mms proxy not set
    mms port not set
    mms porotocl wap 2,0
    mcc 310
    mnc 260
    authentication type not set
    apn type default supl mms
    bearer unspecified

Change all those to what I poseted.
    then make sure "network mode" is set to all auto. then hit "network operators" and hit "select automatically"... hopefully it will work, go hit a speedtest and see what you get.

I am also in a refarmed area, KC Mo, btw.
    uploadfromtaptalk1357168589156.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357168609579.jpg
    This is my experience with T-Mobile. Downtown Manhattan. The coverage is spotty. And the data switches constantly from 2G to 3G and vise versa especially in a building.
    Sent from my HTC One XL using xda premium
    Im in Houston and luckily i have "4G" at home ,school and work with very impressive speed

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Premium HD app
    Well heres my latest speed tests very happy with the constant connection I'm getting now. When I first inserted this tmobile SIM card I could only get Edge and also drop my signal here and there. After messing with my settings this is what I achieved. Here are snapshots of all the tests I just ran(02-18-2013). Also they all have the same location info. Also here is a snapshot of my phone info showing I'm getting Tmobiles Hspap network which I am enjoying much more than edge.

Sent from my Customized HTC One X using xda premium