[Q] official 4.3 downgrade to official 4.1.2 - possible?

Search This thread

oldboy2010

Jan 22, 2014
Hi, I've searched the forums here for a while but have honestly not found the answer so I hope someone can help. I have an S III I9305 which I updated OTA to the official 4.3 last week. the baseband version is I9305XXUEMK1 and the kernel version is dated Thursday 12th December. From searching I've only found the baseband I9305XXUEMKC which I believe was dated around end of November 13.

I simply wanted to know if there is any way to go back to the official 4.1.2 (i.e. as it was before the update to 4.3). I have not rooted the phone or done anything else with my phone. I have read all the stuff about Knox which I believe could prevent the phone to be downgraded without voiding the warranty, but this is not really a big issue for me as I've had the phone for over a year now. I was not ever planning on rooting the phone or adding any custom roms either. Just looking for a way to restore the phone as it was really!!

Hope anyone can help, and advance apologies for what is probably a very nooob question.

thanks

edited to add: I am on T-mobile (EE) in the UK, as I understand that AT-T cannot downgrade without bricking the phone.

Last edited:

shayind4

Mar 24, 2008
London
Hi, I've searched the forums here for a while but have honestly not found the answer so I hope someone can help. I have an S III I9305 which I updated OTA to the official 4.3 last week. the baseband version is I9305XXUEMK1 and the kernel version is dated Thursday 12th December. From searching I've only found the baseband I9305XXUEMKC which I believe was dated around end of November 13.

I simply wanted to know if there is any way to go back to the official 4.1.2 (i.e. as it was before the update to 4.3). I have not rooted the phone or done anything else with my phone. I have read all the stuff about Knox which I believe could prevent the phone to be downgraded without voiding the warranty, but this is not really a big issue for me as I've had the phone for over a year now. I was not ever planning on rooting the phone or adding any custom roms either. Just looking for a way to restore the phone as it was really!!

Hope anyone can help, and advance apologies for what is probably a very nooob question.

thanks

edited to add: I am on T-mobile (EE) in the UK, as I understand that AT-T cannot downgrade without bricking the phone.

The 4.3 bootloader (Knox) does not allow any downgrade irrespective of Knox flag status. This is an issue many users are not happy with.

Sorry.

oldboy2010

Jan 22, 2014
The 4.3 bootloader (Knox) does not allow any downgrade irrespective of Knox flag status. This is an issue many users are not happy with.

Sorry.

thank you for replying to me, this is thoroughly annoying and I am gutted that I didn't see the problems people have described before updating! Just assumed that an update would be an upgrade!! clearly not. Is there anything else that I could do to make this bad situation slightly better? or have a made a rod for my own back?

appreciate you taking the time to reply.

shayind4

Mar 24, 2008
London
thank you for replying to me, this is thoroughly annoying and I am gutted that I didn't see the problems people have described before updating! Just assumed that an update would be an upgrade!! clearly not. Is there anything else that I could do to make this bad situation slightly better? or have a made a rod for my own back?

appreciate you taking the time to reply.

There is nothing you can do for now except to wait and see what developers come up with. I would advice not to update to 4.4 kitkat yet unless you are sure you want to do so. There is no way back from 4.4 to 4.3 either.

d_ce

Jan 6, 2014
There is nothing you can do for now except to wait and see what developers come up with. I would advice not to update to 4.4 kitkat yet unless you are sure you want to do so. There is no way back from 4.4 to 4.3 either.

even by flashing a custom rom of lesser android version, like paranoid android 4.1?

oldboy2010

Jan 22, 2014
thank you all for taking the time to reply.

I think i am going to stick as I am for now. Incidentally, I ended up doing a factory reset and the issues I was having with the battery drain and lack of email notifications have all been fixed! so I am fairly happy now!

that's good to know that there is no way back from 4.4 either, this will make me more cautious for any future updates!

peace out.