[Q] Cannot connect phone to car via USB

Search This thread

amsage3

Sep 29, 2008
This a rather specific issue, but none of the forums for my car were able to give me an answer. I drive a 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS.

So I just recently switched from iPhone to Android, and I have been having a **** of a time getting the phone to connect to the car via the USB port in my 2013 GLS. With my iPhone, it was as simple as plug n play...not so much with the Android (it's a Verizon LG G2, for what it's worth), as every time I plug in the USB cable, I get "Connection Error" on the screen, and then it just switches back to whatever audio mode I was in before.

I know the USB port actually says "iPod" underneath it specifically, but the owner's manual vaguely hints at a universal USB music mode...I've gone through the menus and tinkered with some of the options, but am unable to find a solution. I really do not want to use Bluetooth. I will buy a car charger and aux cable and just have two connections if need be, but I gotta believe there's a way to have a non-iOS device hooked up through the USB port and be able to play music through it. I don't even need metadata to show up on the screen, just a simple connection would do it!

I am running AOKP 4.4.2. This issue persists even with MTP USB mode activated.