[TUTORIAL] How To Root The HTC EVO ~ Part-1 \0/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

maejrep

Jun 25, 2007
WOW the dam bootloader couldn't find the ZIP in my 16gb microsd card, but when I switched to a 8gb one it worked... wasted so much time

I think that's somewhat well-known.. Bootloader is a much much lower-level piece of software than recovery (which runs same linux kernel as android) .. as a result, it probably does not support large sdcards.

theillustratedlife

Jun 15, 2009
I've read your instructions, and noticed that it warns that you will lose your data.

Which step erases your data? Is there a way to back it up before rooting? Is there a way to root my current install, or do I have to wipe first?

Thanks!

Repnepto

Jun 2, 2010
WOW the dam bootloader couldn't find the ZIP in my 16gb microsd card, but when I switched to a 8gb one it worked... wasted so much time

Correct me if I am wrong at any point. To avoid any issues if I root the phone using the 8 gb card it comes with I dont have to worry about any of the data being lost cause as far as i know i didnt lose anything. Also once rooted I can just put in my 16gb card with all my crap on it and I would be in buniness. Meaning once gaining root the .zip on that card is no longer needed.

maejrep

Jun 25, 2007
The first root flash will wipe, and no way to backup beforehand. It won't touch your sd card though.

Once you're rooted, you can do update.zip-style flashes that may or may not wipe automatically, plus the custom recovery will have the nandroid option to do backups.

maejrep

Jun 25, 2007
Correct me if I am wrong at any point. To avoid any issues if I root the phone using the 8 gb card it comes with I dont have to worry about any of the data being lost cause as far as i know i didnt lose anything. Also once rooted I can just put in my 16gb card with all my crap on it and I would be in buniness. Meaning once gaining root the .zip on that card is no longer needed.

Correct on all counts. You don't have to use a different sd card as part of the process, but based on pingpongboss's experience, i'd suggest not using a 16GB :p Otherwise whatever daily sd you use is good enough. Just remember to rename the file when you're done, as if you don't, it'll try to re-read the zip next time you enter bootloader (via volume-down key). If that happens, don't flip out, it will still ask you to confirm yes/no if you want to flash; but it takes a long time, and it's an inconvenience.

spurnout

Sep 6, 2007
I'm having trouble doing the nandroid backup. I got to recovery mode and ran the windows bat file and then navigated to Backup and when I select Nand backup I get an error message saying "Error : Run 'nandroid-mobile.sh' via adb!" Any idea how to get around that?

maejrep

Jun 25, 2007
Thanks.

Do you know how similar the Grack exploit is to yours?

I don't know anything about grack's exploit that they haven't already released. But the fact that it is an exploit and not a userdebug RUU means it will only get as far as what you have currently when booted into Android.

That is, they can't write to /system, but worse, they can't load a custom recovery (because adb is disabled in stock recovery). This RUU has a rooted & adb-enabled recovery, which is what makes it possible to write to /system, and flash custom ROMs.

Obviously that should not take any of the limelight at all away from what the grack guys have done -- it's no simple task by any means to exploit a pretty well-protected phone, and they deserve all the respect they get for achieving it! We just happened to get lucky, that's all.

maejrep

Jun 25, 2007
I'm having trouble doing the nandroid backup. I got to recovery mode and ran the windows bat file and then navigated to Backup and when I select Nand backup I get an error message saying "Error : Run 'nandroid-mobile.sh' via adb!" Any idea how to get around that?

Try the suggestion. I've seen that once before, and running the shell script explained why it was happening, IIRC... Just do:
Code:
adb shell /sbin/nandroid-mobile.sh

theillustratedlife

Jun 15, 2009
I'd like to take this moment to let out a chortle that two separate exploits were found immediately on this device before public availability, while other handsets are still unrooted weeks after they went on sale.

If it wasn't for the NAND protection, you'd think HTC wanted us in there. =)

(Incidentally, if they would have given us engineering SPLs in the I/O phones, it probably would have delayed the root issue on general-release phones a while longer).

Can you explain NAND protection a bit further, please? Are the changes being overwritten on startup, or are they being blocked before they occur? Is NAND protection being implemented at the firmware level?

spurnout

Sep 6, 2007
Try the suggestion. I've seen that once before, and running the shell script explained why it was happening, IIRC... Just do:
Code:
adb shell /sbin/nandroid-mobile.sh

Well I am doing it in Windows. and I typed "adb-windows shell /sbin/nandroid-mobile.sh -b" and then I got "nandroid-mobile v2.2.1

Using G1 keyboard, enter a prefix substring and then <CR>
or just <CR> to accept default:" but I can't type anything.

Edit: Ignore this, I ran the backup on the phone and now it seems to be doing it! I can't wait to flash a custom ROM/kernel!

Last edited:

maejrep

Jun 25, 2007
I'd like to take this moment to let out a chortle that two separate exploits were found immediately on this device before public availability, while other handsets are still unrooted weeks after they went on sale.

If it wasn't for the NAND protection, you'd think HTC wanted us in there. =)
Yup! I'm enjoying the irony of it as well :p
(Incidentally, if they would have given us engineering SPLs in the I/O phones, it probably would have delayed the root issue on general-release phones a while longer).
In the spirit of not derailing this 38-page thread (cof), and in the spirit of spurring ideas from people on these forums who are as interested in it as I am (and no doubt someone here is more experienced :p), I started a new thread about this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=6677795#post6677795

Last edited:

chippillie

Feb 24, 2009
It sucks, I agree.. There's clearly a way to unlock it, and the radio does it automatically when going into recovery, we just need to find out how to do that.

But I don't think I'd go as far as "dealbreaker" ;) What do you really do while booted into android that requires writing to /system? The only thing I can think of is adding/removing apps from /system, which I'd prefer to do from recovery anyway, when I can guarantee that nothing will be interrupted when it happens.

To each his own I guess.

Agreed I never write in android anyway so this does not bother me:)

maejrep

Jun 25, 2007
Could you drop the ENG hboot into a hex editor and change the version & modification dates appropriately?

I've gone over it in IDA for a couple hours now ;) It may well be that simple, but it's not just the "0.79.0000" version part, since I did try changing that and it didn't help. But it could be a different version that's read from some other byte in the image. Like I said, still investigating.. :x

jabbawalkee

Dec 22, 2008
Chevy Chase, MD
twitter.com
I was able to root my Evo this morning but had issues with adb. I am VERY familiar with adb and always used it on my Nexus One and myTouch. However, when I try it with my Evo, it says "device not found." I do have USB DEBUGGING enabled so that's not the issue. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get it to work? Also, I'm wondering what the command adb shell mv means and if there's any way I can flash the recovery without adb? Thanks in advance and good work toast!

pirarre

Jun 16, 2008
I am also lost at this step.

"- Extract the evorecovery.zip to your desktop

- plug your phone into a usb port on your desktop

- In a shell:

Code:
adb reboot recovery"

What does "in a shell" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HOW TO ROOT YOUR HTC EVO

DO NOT USE A RUU FROM SPRINT IF U WANNA MAINTAIN ROOT. WAIT FOR ME OR SOMEONE HERE TO MAKE A ROOT UPDATE.ZIP.

Major thanx for those who helped:

keishou (for the rooted build. without it none of this would be possible)
    maejrep (for testing and modding a recovery for the EVO)
    Flipz (for hosting the files)
    Paul (for his recovery work on the desire and legend)
    Amon_RA (for his recovery source on github)

WHAT THIS ROOT METHOD WILL DO:

- wipe all of your data so brace for that. backup or what not
    - Allow you to flash custom roms
    - Boot into a custom recovery
    - Write to system, boot and recovery partitions through recovery

WHAT THIS ROOT METHOD SADLY WONT ENABLE YOU TO DO:

- Write to system or recovery while in android
    - Flash a custom recovery that can be booted into by holding vol down and powering on

THINGS YOU WILL NEED:

download files below:

- PC36IMG.zip

- evorecovery

INSTUCTIONS FOR ROOTING:

- Put the PC36IMG.zip on the root of your sdcard

Code:
    adb push PC36IMG.zip /sdcard

- Power off the phone
    - Hold volume down while powering the phone on. continue to hold volume down until you see the WHITE bootloader screen.
    - After a few seconds it will begin to checking for files, and find PC36IMG.zip. while its doing this it will show a blue progress bar while its checking. (this takes 30 - 60 seconds to finish)
    - It will then list all the images in the zip and ask you if want to flash. SAY YES
    - When its finished it will ask you if you would like to reboot. AGAIN... SAY YES
    - At this point it will boot into a rooted rom.
    - YOU ARE NOW ROOT!!!
    - rename the PC36IMG.zip on your sdcard:
    - plug your phone into a usb port on your desktop and do:

Code:
    adb shell mv /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/root-PC36IMG.zip

RECOVERY INSTRUCTIONS:

- Extract the evorecovery.zip to your desktop
    - plug your phone into a usb port on your desktop
    - In a shell:

Code:
    adb reboot recovery

- this will reboot your EVO into recovery mode. at this point turn your attention to the directory u extracted the evorecovery.zip to.

Code:
    For Windows XP ~~>  Run recovery-windows.bat
    For Vista and Windows 7 do it as Admin

- in a shell do:

Code:
    For Linux ~~> ./recovery-linux.sh

- at this point turn your attention to the phone and navigate to create a Nandriod Backup. you can now flash custom roms, write, and make changes to system.

- to flash a custom rom put the rom on the root of your sdcard. wipe data, dalvic cache and chose the option to flash update.zip from sdcard.

RECOVERY NAVIGATION:

-
    Code:
    Volume up/down moves through the list and Power selects.

RECOVERY SOURCE:

- http://github.com/jhansche/amonra_bootable_recovery/tree/supersonic

Code:
    git clone git://github.com/jhansche/amonra_bootable_recovery.git
    git checkout supersonic

Once you have finished and rooted your device. please flash another rooted rom from the forum. Flipz has made a root build of the rom that came on the device. it can be found HERE. you will need to wipe data and dalvic cache before flashing this. And again because i cant stress it enough... DO NOT accept a OTA update from Sprint or use a RUU, or u risk lossing root forever, and ever :p

HOW TO RETURN BACK TO STOCK BUILD:

-Easy peasy- run the RUU in the first post of this thread. this is the only RUU that after flashing, you will still be able to root using this method. link below:

ROOT SAFE STOCK RUU
    Can you remove apps from Android mode using root explorer? or do you have to remove them in the recovery using ADB?