[Guide][How-To]How To Root/S-Off/Recovery/&FirmwareUpdate on ATT 3.18

Search This thread

24ky

Aug 25, 2012
Amsterdam
Google Pixel 4 XL
ONLY Works For HTC Evita By AT&T On 3.18..... and I threw this together so people can have all there information on 3.18 in a single thread. I take no credit for the work.... Because I'm not the dev that's made the exploits, or files.

How To Root on the ATT 3.18 firmware for HTC One XL and SuperCID.

- Linux Simplified
- Windows Explained*

DOWNLOAD : ( 3.18 root exploit )
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1973170&d=1368918573

Linux Version.
Requirements -
--Adb Environment--
--Knowledge on how to use adb--
--AT&T HTC One XL and linux based computer haha--

As @myusernam3 says
1. just extract zip*
2. run pwn.sh......This automated method*
3. or follow the windows steps on linux ( the adb steps )

Windows Version
Requirements -
--Adb Environment--
--Adb Knowledge--
-- AT&T HTC One XL and windows based computer

1. Open Command Promt and navigate to your Adb folders and make sure the xpwn.tar.gz Is extracted to the main folder of adb...

2. Execute this command
Code:
adb push oneXchopper /data/local/tmp/xpwn

Followed by*
Code:
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox

Followed By
Code:
adb push ownage /data/local/tmp/phase1.sh

Next*
Code:
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/xpwn /data/local/tmp/busybox

Next*
Code:
adb shell ln -s /data/local/tmp/busybox /data/local/tmp/sed

Next
Code:
adb shell "/data/local/tmp/xpwn"

Next
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

Just to clarify, this is a temp root which sets your CID to SuperCID allowing a bootloader unlock via HTCDev. It does NOT install Superuser or anything of that sort.

I'm not responsible for bricks, warranty voiding, etc. and please let me know if this works*

Thanks to Dan Rosenberg for Motochopper, which I modified very slightly for use in this script.
Thanks also to the people who paid the bounty. You guys are awesome and probably just bought me something nice. Not sure what yet :p
One more thanks to Daft Punk for providing some decent music to listen to while I worked on this. I was up all night to get lucky xD

All credits to the OP of this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2285086

Sent from my HTC One XL using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

24ky

Aug 25, 2012
Amsterdam
Google Pixel 4 XL
How to S-Off After completing above

Original Thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2155071

Once you have confirmed you have SuperCID, get started (read it through first so you understand it all):

1.) Download patcher and unzip it in your working directory:
soffbin3.zip soffbin3.zip Mirror

2.) Download the zip below

OneX.zip = MD5: 99a8eced1010543e12cbd4e4e8f9638f,* Mirror

3.)
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
(wait for bootloader)

4.)
Code:
fastboot oem rebootRUU
(wait for black HTC Screen)

5.)
Code:
fastboot flash zip PJ8312000-OneX.zip
After a while, You should see the following error “FAILED (remote: 92 supercid! please flush image again immediately)”

6.) Immediately issue the following command:

Code:
fastboot oem boot

You may see some errors, just wait for the device to boot into Android (only now, you should be booted into Android with no eMMC write protection of any kind active).

7.) Issue the following 3 commands to update the security partition with S-off flags (one command at a time!):
Code:
adb push soffbin3 /data/local/tmp/
adb shell chmod 744 /data/local/tmp/soffbin3
adb shell su -c "/data/local/tmp/soffbin3"
(wait for a few seconds)
8.)
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
9.) You should see what you are looking for!

If you need help or just care to say thanks, join us on IRC:* #FacePalm http://chat.andirc.net:8080/?channels=facepalm
Enjoy.

Credits To @beaups

Last edited:

24ky

Aug 25, 2012
Amsterdam
Google Pixel 4 XL
TeamWin Recovery Project -http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1677447

ClockworkMod Recovery -

To flash recovery. ..
1. Boot into bootloader
2. Select fastboot
3. Open Command Prompt and navigate to adb and fastboot folder. Place " recovery.img " in that folder
4. Plug cord into pc and the phone.
5. Once pacific drivers installed for fastboot control execute
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Last edited:
Reactions: Z1cK

24ky

Aug 25, 2012
Amsterdam
Google Pixel 4 XL
Firmware Update After Achieving S-Off If You Want To Use Sense 5 4.2.2

Firmware (Optional)(But Recommend): http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23060877490004040 (Doesn't overwrite kernel and recovery)

Installing the Firmware (Warning: You MUST be S-OFF and Super CID to flash this! Flash at own risk!)

[*]Reboot to bootloader (adb reboot bootloader if "USB Debugging" is enabled in Android)

[*] Run: fastboot oem rebootRUU

[*] Run: fastboot flash zip

[*] If the output ends with "FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)", run the previous command AGAIN

[*] If it ends with "INFO..... OK", reboot to the bootloader: fastboot reboot-bootloader

[*] Verify everything was successful by running: fastboot getvar all

[*] Reboot into Android: fastboot reboot or into recovery: fastboot reboot-recovery

Credits to @Turge*

Last edited:

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
You might want to mention that the 2.15 firmware is only really necessary/recommended for users wanting to run Android 4.2.2 Sense 5 ROMs. It isn't required for anything else. You might also want to mention that the work isn't your own, and give credit to all the people that actually did the work on these exploits.

Sent from my Evita

Reactions: zounduser

24ky

Aug 25, 2012
Amsterdam
Google Pixel 4 XL
You might want to mention that the 2.15 firmware is only really necessary/recommended for users wanting to run Android 4.2.2 Sense 5 ROMs. It isn't required for anything else. You might also want to mention that the work isn't your own, and give credit to all the people that actually did the work on these exploits.

Sent from my Evita

First post mentions nothing on this page is my work and that I take no credit and all 3 post have the credits given to the devs

MRaaJR

Oct 15, 2013

Sent from my Evita

What about 2,14 firmware? Is it necessary for Sense 5 JB 4.2.2 ROMs?

24ky

Aug 25, 2012
Amsterdam
Google Pixel 4 XL
What about 2,14 firmware? Is it necessary for Sense 5 JB 4.2.2 ROMs?

Well you can use 2.14 firmware but to fix any issues that come with sense 5 you will need to use Zarboz Kernel... If you update to 2.15 firmware that was made for Sense 5 4.2.2 you won't have any issues... But to upgrade firmware you must be S-Off

sagar_tiru2006

Jun 22, 2010
Mumbai
Need minor help

Please update this command some 1 .,.... i get unknown partition when i just type it like that ... if i type the file-name.zip i still get the same error. I have used Fastboot, just wanna know which partition to flash the 2.15 firmware in....
FYI: on 3.18 RUU

My System Details

**UNLOCKED**
EVITA PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
CID-11111111
HBOOT-2.14.000
Radio-0.24p.32.09.06

Hope i am not much of a trouble. Tc Have a nice day.

FIXED: its "fastboot flash zip filename.zip" & u should not change the default filename which also throws error. Pulled from Turge's Stock Rom post. All creditz to him.

Last edited:

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
What changes from 2.14 to 2.15?

The most significant change is (suspected) to have to do with the radio included in the 2.15 firmware package. The power save function on Sense 5 ROMs cause signal drop and reboot issues for some folks, likely having to do with older radios not playing well with the power save function.

johnnyham89

May 3, 2008
Thanks redpoint! Those are the exact problems that I am experiencing! Time to upgrade!!!!

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ONLY Works For HTC Evita By AT&T On 3.18..... and I threw this together so people can have all there information on 3.18 in a single thread. I take no credit for the work.... Because I'm not the dev that's made the exploits, or files.

How To Root on the ATT 3.18 firmware for HTC One XL and SuperCID.

- Linux Simplified
    - Windows Explained*

DOWNLOAD : ( 3.18 root exploit )
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1973170&d=1368918573

Linux Version.
    Requirements -
    --Adb Environment--
    --Knowledge on how to use adb--
    --AT&T HTC One XL and linux based computer haha--

As @myusernam3 says
    1. just extract zip*
    2. run pwn.sh......This automated method*
    3. or follow the windows steps on linux ( the adb steps )

Windows Version
    Requirements -
    --Adb Environment--
    --Adb Knowledge--
    -- AT&T HTC One XL and windows based computer

1. Open Command Promt and navigate to your Adb folders and make sure the xpwn.tar.gz Is extracted to the main folder of adb...

2. Execute this command
    Code:
    adb push oneXchopper /data/local/tmp/xpwn

Followed by*
    Code:
    adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox

Followed By
    Code:
    adb push ownage /data/local/tmp/phase1.sh

Next*
    Code:
    adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/xpwn /data/local/tmp/busybox

Next*
    Code:
    adb shell ln -s /data/local/tmp/busybox /data/local/tmp/sed

Next
    Code:
    adb shell "/data/local/tmp/xpwn"

Next
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Just to clarify, this is a temp root which sets your CID to SuperCID allowing a bootloader unlock via HTCDev. It does NOT install Superuser or anything of that sort.

I'm not responsible for bricks, warranty voiding, etc. and please let me know if this works*

Thanks to Dan Rosenberg for Motochopper, which I modified very slightly for use in this script.
    Thanks also to the people who paid the bounty. You guys are awesome and probably just bought me something nice. Not sure what yet :p
    One more thanks to Daft Punk for providing some decent music to listen to while I worked on this. I was up all night to get lucky xD

All credits to the OP of this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2285086

How to S-Off After completing above

Original Thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2155071

Once you have confirmed you have SuperCID, get started (read it through first so you understand it all):

1.) Download patcher and unzip it in your working directory:
    soffbin3.zip soffbin3.zip Mirror

2.) Download the zip below

OneX.zip = MD5: 99a8eced1010543e12cbd4e4e8f9638f,* Mirror

3.)
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    (wait for bootloader)

4.)
    Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    (wait for black HTC Screen)

5.)
    Code:
    fastboot flash zip PJ8312000-OneX.zip
    After a while, You should see the following error “FAILED (remote: 92 supercid! please flush image again immediately)”

6.) Immediately issue the following command:

Code:
    fastboot oem boot

You may see some errors, just wait for the device to boot into Android (only now, you should be booted into Android with no eMMC write protection of any kind active).

7.) Issue the following 3 commands to update the security partition with S-off flags (one command at a time!):
    Code:
    adb push soffbin3 /data/local/tmp/
    adb shell chmod 744 /data/local/tmp/soffbin3
    adb shell su -c "/data/local/tmp/soffbin3"
    (wait for a few seconds)
    8.)
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    9.) You should see what you are looking for!

If you need help or just care to say thanks, join us on IRC:* #FacePalm http://chat.andirc.net:8080/?channels=facepalm
    Enjoy.

Credits To @beaups
    Firmware Update After Achieving S-Off If You Want To Use Sense 5 4.2.2

Firmware (Optional)(But Recommend): http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23060877490004040 (Doesn't overwrite kernel and recovery)

Installing the Firmware (Warning: You MUST be S-OFF and Super CID to flash this! Flash at own risk!)

[*]Reboot to bootloader (adb reboot bootloader if "USB Debugging" is enabled in Android)

[*] Run: fastboot oem rebootRUU

[*] If the output ends with "FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)", run the previous command AGAIN

[*] If it ends with "INFO..... OK", reboot to the bootloader: fastboot reboot-bootloader

[*] Verify everything was successful by running: fastboot getvar all

[*] Reboot into Android: fastboot reboot or into recovery: fastboot reboot-recovery

Credits to @Turge*
    No it isn't part of the process, it gives temp root in order to get SuperCID so you can unlock at htcdev. You need to install TWRP 2.6, then you can install Superuser. Once you have Superuser installed you can get s-off. Once you have s-off your can update to the 2.15 firmware package, which is what you need to run Sense 5 ROMs without problems.

Sent from my Evita
    You need to follow the instructions exactly, give the commands exactly as it's said to. You don't need to flash recovery again, you can reboot afterwards as normal and boot into your current ROM.

Sent from my Evita